Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default A new and interesting challange

i move home again a week wednesday. back to uni for my last year lots of work research project and hours of reading in the library. but that is not the hard part. i'm self catering. wow i hear you say how great is that a choice of food not that nasty college heavily salted process rubbish. well yes i agree however there is one issue. money! i'm currently atkinsing and going well. however atkins is expensive. in comparrison to a pack of 8p noodles and 49p for a pack of not alot of meat alot of wheat sausages form tesco. however there is a gym and pool on campus. the challange is to walk past the student bar with out going for a swift half (a barrel) and past through the canteen to the sports centre at least 5 days a week
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #2  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey slimmingsi -
I was just wondering where abouts you go to uni in the uk? The reason I say that is because if its heavily populated with muslims or jews - their meat is generally cheaper and fresher than the supermarket stuff. What I hate about supermarkets like asda/tesco you get meat nice and cheaply for example mince meat but the problem is when you cook it you realise that half of the pack was actually fat... meaning you didn't get your money's worth. In the Muslim and Jewish butchers they may seem a little bit more expensive (by a few pence) but you're not getting 30% fat in that meat you're just getting your moneys worth.

Well good luck anyways!!
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

no unfortunately i'm down in deepest darkest southwest england where its about 90+% white christian although we do have a fairly large turkish and morrocan community but no specific shops. if i can scrape together the money i'll split an organic meat box with the girl friend every 2 weeks.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Nice to "see" you again, slimmingsi!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ahhh .... challenges. Yes, this whole weight loss stuff is indeed challenging. But with lots of determination and strength one can rise up to them. Good luck to you. You're up for the challenge, I can sense it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

Hello again Jay hows things any major Dhramas? i've been very very slack let myself go in a big way gave up my meditation and martial arts and slipped to the dark side as master yoda would say. lots of beer lots of nasty food and lots of feeling miserable inside. things are looking up though i started the Arts up again going to Aikido less likely to break me than the other stuff i did and tai chi aswell.

still no luck giving up the meat i'm affraid. although i'm going organic wherever possible so at least i can say that the animal was fairly well treated. and i never waste any.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey slimmingsi,

I'm an old Aikidoka myself! Great for you to get back into it--I had to give it up when I got over 160 pounds because I was getting hurt taking the falls. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll get back to it.

My only major Dhrama () is that I moved--and am still trying to get things back in order.

Good luck on your weight loss! You can do it! Stay away from the Dark Side!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #8  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I was an aikidoka for a while. I miss it, but I think I have too many back and hip problems to go back. Actually, my hip problems started when I was learning to break fall. It still hasn't cleared up, but I am pushing to see another orthopedic about it. Maybe if I get it dealt with I will go back. I miss it so much!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #9  
Becomming a Monster

well i'm taking falls at over 300lbs granted after a few it starts to hurt but pain is only temporary
Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #10  

Well I have a cyst in my hip. It is a fluid filled cyst, which is indicative of an injury or possible hip problems. Nothing in the MRI or X-rays indicate any other hip issues. The cyst is starting to push on my nerve now, and I can feel it down my leg into my knee. I'm hoping that now it is this bad, the doc will drain the cyst. But it started hurting right when I was learning to break fall, and I'm pretty sure that just practicing it over and over until I got it right and all that landing on it incorrectly until I got it right was what did it

All that was happening when I weighed around 210 btw, not at my current weight.

Last edited by modkittn; 09-10-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #11  
Becomming a Monster

i do find though if i don't fall perfectly i.e slightly on to my ribs as i roll and not over the shoulder that they get squashed and it hurts.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #12  

Maybe its because I'm female and my hip bones stick out further and are the first thing to hit the mat? Who knows! I just want to get it taken care of because seriously this was almost 2 years ago. Other medical conditions have also kept me from going back, but those are all in check now. This hip thing is the last thing left. Sometimes it hurts after just a 1/2 hour leisurely walk