Fiber.....

• okay... I'm not constipated.... but, I want to be able to get some extra fiber into my diet. We bought some fiber powder tonight (the kind you mix in with water and drink). The instructions say to drink it up to 3 times a day (for constipation)...... so, if I'm only drinking it to get extra fiber, how much do I drink???
  • I have heard that the general equation is 1 gram of fiber for every 100 calories with a minimum of 20 grams of fiber per day. When you are starting to add fiber I would do so VERY gradually, like adding about 5-6 extra grams a day for the first week, then increasing that over the next few weeks or you will get some very dramatic, noisy side effects. I bought a jug of Fiber-Sure once and decided to add the whole 20 grams of extra fiber in one day and it was a nightmare at work. I had to keep running into the stairwell to "let it rip"!
  • Well, I don't know the answer to your specific quesion, but if you're trying to get some extra fiber in you could add foods higher in fiber: whole grains, vegetables, fruit. I seem to average 35-40 grams of fiber/day just in the foods I eat.
  • Do you use a log to track your daily intake? If you can figure out how much you average without the fiber supplement, then you can figure out how much you need totake. They used to recommend 25g daily, but newer guidelines seem to encourage 35. Some of our members get a lot more than that.
  • Mix it with a LOT of water. You get the same results and it's a lot less likely to cause "issues". Not enough water and it's like drinking jello shots without the fun.
  • londonjulz I found this out a week ago from my sil she is a nutritionist.

Hopefully I don't mess this up but this is what she told me..

Your body naturally burns x amount of calories mine is about 1800, this comes from thinking, breathing etc..My sil says that about 40% of that comes from digesting food, so she recommended that I actually get my fiber from food because fiber from food takes my body that much more energy (calories) to digest then any other food/nutrient there for I would burn some extra calories.

Did you get that or did I completely confuse you..hehe

Obviously fiber from any source is better then none, but whenever I can cheat and get some extra calories off I do

Well goodluck