Dumb Labor Day!!!!!

• Ok. So I was doing ok as far as my eating. AND then LABOR DAY!!!!! A weekend of BBQ's and chips and brownies and chips and soda and pasta salad and more chips. And of course I are it all. So a few weeks ago I was down to 235. Now I am back up to 242. I am so mad at myself. AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do I always do this. I am so frusterated.
  • Dek6, do you journal? Write down an in-depth description of how you feel right now....physically and mentally. This can be a great source of motivation the next time you feel the urge to binge. Once you get this written down, put it behind you and move on. You can learn from these times, but they don't have to define your journey. Re-write the journey starting now....day by day. You can do this!
  • Daphne --

I know what it's like to lose the weight and then, in an instant it seems, gain a lot back! I think we've all been there!

First though, you probably didn't gain 7 pounds of fat in three days. Go back on plan (sensibly) wait a few days and weigh again. Then you'll probably see the real damage (a few pounds).

Second, use it as a learning experience. When did it go wrong? What can you do better? I've learned a lot from such situations. I know that if I am at a party and have "just one" of something that I like that I will crave more. And likely eat it. But if I resist, keep a drink in my hand, keep away from the food and talk to people that I am much more likely to be successful. I don't go to parties hungry but have a healthy snack first (less likely to be tempted...) Etc.

This is a lifestyle, and fortunately, we get lots of practice!!

Good luck!
  • I agree with wyllenn. Sometimes when you eat what you haven't been used to eating since you've started eating healthier, you retain fluids for some reason. For example, if I even think about drinking a beer, I gain a pound. Drink lots of water to...er...flush yourself out, and the damage probably won't be as bad as you thought. I don't think that even if you were at Thanksgiving dinner and eat to the point of having to cut your clothes off of you, you could gain seven pounds in one day for reals.
  • Hi Dek,
    I agree with everyone else, You didn't gain all that weight at once.
    When you are going to be eating out, or BBQ, I would suggest planning ahead so me healthy food for you. Make a salad, keep a bottle of water in your hand, have some fruit/veggies to snack on. I know you can get bacvk on track.
    cheryl
  • One weekend didn't do you in and get you to be overweight. It's many, many weekends and many weekdays that did it. So the trick is to just move on. Get yourself right back on track chickie.

I'd also agree with the above posters. Perhaps have a plan going into these things. The water is a great idea. There's also usually grilled chicken breasts at these things. That along with a piece of corn or some salad and some fruit afterwards and you're good to go.

And yes, definitely focus on the people. I find it easier to eat less when I'm socializing more.

But you'll get back on track. You CAN do it and before you know it, those 7 pounds will vanish. Good luck.
  • im in your boat as well. up 3 pounds I worked so hard to take off. Makes me so mad!
  • I know it isnt just from the weekend. the past two weeks have been horrible. I had a cinnabon last week and then from thrusday until yesterday we had chips and brownies and cupcakes and burgers here. And of course I couldnt throw them away. So I had to eat them all. I have gained this in 2 weeks.
  • Quote: yesterday we had chips and brownies and cupcakes and burgers here. And of course I couldnt throw them away. So I had to eat them all.
    Yes, throw them away. Get rid of them I say!!!! They're doing you no good. Much better off in the trash then ON you.

Daphne, resisting temptation is hard. But it does get easier the more you do it. You get more successful attempts under your belt and each time your strength gets firmer and firmer. And then you start feeling better and looking better and you find yourself not quite so tempted anymore.

Just curious, what kind of plan are you following? Do you have good and healthy and tasty foods planned out for your day? For me, knowing that I have something tasty to eat every 2 -2 1/2 hours makes it much easie for me to stay on plan. And I find that counting caloires helps to keep me accountable.

Hang in there. Get back with it. Times a wastin'. The sooner you get back into the swing of things, the sooner you will feel better.
  • Quote: And of course I couldnt throw them away. So I had to eat them all.
    Why not? Nobody needs chips, brownies or cupcakes.....they aren't one of the major food groups. If they are too much of a temptation to you, get rid of them.
  • One of my ways to deal with the temptation is to be really fussy about what I eat. Is that going to be the best cheeseburger I'll ever have? Probably not. In the trash. That cupcake is a bit smushed in? In the trash. I try to think of this before I eat something "Am I going to be 100% satisfied with this once I put it in my mouth? Do potato chips really taste all that good? I've been doing good lately, and if I put that greasy cheeseburger in my mouth it is going to throw my system out of whack. Do I really want to do bathroom duty later?"

Good luck!
  • You gals are so great. And honest, that's what I love about this site. We've all done what Dek did - we've been there, some still go there, some have learned how to get past it and are willing to share their knowledge. I need to get back to my food journal, that's what helped me lose the initial 15 or so pounds and I've stall since. Atleast I have not gained, but times a wastin if I am not losing a pound or two per week. I don't want to be sitting her in January and wondering why I didn't hit my goal. I need every week to get there.

Thanks guys - and thanks Dek for sharing - I am not alone.

Angie
  • THROW THEM AWAY!!! I know its hard, OMG its so hard for me too. But just do it, dont think about it, toss em out, have a water, and go for a long walk.
  • I hate throwing food away too, but I've done it before. Oh yes.

I talked about throwing away a box and a half of cereal here:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114376
  • Heather -

That post was just slightly before my time, so thanks for sharing it with us again. What a fun, fun way to declare your independence from Quaker Oat Squares. I had a sad parting from Life Cereal, but with kids in the house, I never have to make any effort to get rid of food. It just disappears...