Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

First I want to thank you all so much for the support. I really appreciate it. You all are a wonderful bunch of friends ((((GROUP HUG)))). Im feeling much better today.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

No one has commented on my 38 pound loss either, but I am not doing it to get compliments , I am doing it to be healthy. I know what I have done and that is what is inportant,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #18  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I totally understand how you feel. I haven't seen my sister since the first week I started my weight loss journey. I've lost almost 50 pounds since then. She came camping with us this weekend, and she didn't even notice.

I kind of expected it to be honest with you, as my pants/top sizes haven't changed yet, so it isn't very noticable right now and won't be for another 40 pounds at least. I was just hoping she'd notice maybe a change in my face or something, but nope, nothing.

Oh, well, I refuse to let this deter me from my goal, and you shouldn't be deterred either. Hang in there- eventually, folks will notice.

Last edited by Steelslady; 09-04-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #19  

((((Steelslady)))) Im sorry hon. It does hurt, but you do have the right attitude. Im not gonna let it get me down, just make me more determined.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
No one has commented on my 38 pound loss either, but I am not doing it to get compliments , I am doing it to be healthy. I know what I have done and that is what is inportant,
Im not doing it for the compliments either, but they sure are nice to hear on occassion.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #21  
Melly Mel

S/C/G: 301/281/180

Height: 5'9

Aw... I am sorry that happened to you. I know if I was in that situation I would definitely be upset, too. I remember when I was about 18, my older brother and I both lost a lot of weight one summer and EVERYONE noticed how much weight he'd lost and NOBODY noticed I'd lost weight too.

But then, eventually they did.

I think there's a variety of reasons this happens. My guess is in this case your family were so fixated on your cousin and her weight loss that people weren't really paying as much attention to you (and thus not noticing your weight loss.)

Quote:
Im not doing it for the compliments either, but they sure are nice to hear on occassion.
I totally hear you on this one. Just keep going girl! Wait til the next family gathering! I bet the compliments will be rolling in

I for one am totally inspired by you and your loss this week. And well done to you for admitting your feelings and KEEPING GOING.

Oh, and have a hug.
Melgettinthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I'm sorry this happened and your feelings were hurt. Not to hijack a thread but this might be an opportunity to ask about the other side of things...because that's where I found myself this weekend. We went to a birthday party at a good friend's house on Friday night. These are people I see all the time so they know I'm losing weight. However, I must have looked REALLY good () because TONS of people were gushing over me. I mean on, and on, and on. At the same party was another friend of mine who has been struggling to lose weight and she HAS lost 16 pounds! She was hurt and discouraged by all the attention on my loss...and no one noticing hers. Of course, her loss is not as much as yours, Alana, but the effort is still there. What are some ways we can ease these situations when we find ourselves on either side of the coin? Her hurt really took away the enjoyment of my looking good. I was so sad for and hurting with her.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #23  

Was she "fishing for compliments"? I notice most times only after people mention it -- maybe you weren't "blowing your own horn" enough!!

Also, just curious, have you purchased new clothes for your new you? If you are still wearing your other clothes, it may have been hard to tell.

You should be very proud of yourself -- you are doing an amazing job. Does your family do this every year? Wait until next if they do.

I was on the reverse, I've actually gained 30 lbs from last year's reunion to this one -- hope to do better by next year!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #24  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Of course we're not doing this for compliments. That wasn't even on my list at all for the reasons I wanted to lose weight (yes, I had a list, a journal).

But we're human and we can't help but want people to recognize our efforts. I must tell you, I remember exactly who and where and when the first non-family member mentioned my weightloss. And again, though compliments were not even on my very long list of reasons for losing weight, I have found them very motivating and indeed a very special part of my journey.

Needing to lose 100 lbs or better is no easy feat. Doable, of course - but not always easy. It's a long road. But rest assured, whoever has not received compliments yet - get ready, cause' they're coming, they're coming. And at times you will have your cheeks turn bright red from them and almost, not quite, but almost wish, they would cease.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I am really looking forward to the compliments. As robin said, of course this isn't the reason we are losing weight. That doesn't mean we can't anticipate them with joy, or be disappointed when we've put in so much effort, and lost a significant amount of weight, and it doesn't yet show.

No one has noticed anything different about me yet. Soon, I hope!
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 PM   #26  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Nobody has noticed me either, unless they already knew. Darn. I want my turn to be petted too. Sniff.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I have learned too, that some people don't comment because they're afraid to offend us. I even had one of my co-workers say that she is amazed at how I look now, but didn't want to say anything - she thought I would take it as "geez you sure were fat"! I just laughed and told her no, that was OK, I knew I was fat too.

You just keep up the great work, and boy will you WOW them at the next one!!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #28  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes too, it depends on the relationship the person has with you. If they have always harbored a sense of competitiveness with you, they may resent admitting how great your accomplishment is; whereas they don't mind complimenting someone they are less emotionally involved with.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote