3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Stronger Nails (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/121535-stronger-nails.html)

Anna829 08-29-2007 09:27 AM

Stronger Nails

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that their nails have gotten much stronger on a healthier diet.

Before, my nails would grow about a quarter inch, then break, but with my lifestyle changes, my nails have gotten so healthy, that they are all about a half inch long and show no signs of weakness. I'm used to waiting for them to break on their own, then trimming them, but they are getting so long, I may have to just trim them all short. And I have an extremely active lifestyle, so I would think they would break with all the stress they relive, but they are just that strong!

Rhighlan86 08-29-2007 10:01 AM

You might not have been getting enough iron before. That's one sure sign of an iron defieceny when your nails are brittle and you can bend them. That's how I keep check at least.

JerseyGyrl 08-29-2007 10:34 AM

I've noticed my nails have improved greatly since I've been on Atkins. I also take 5000 mcg Biotin daily which has helped my hair & nails greatly.

boaterswife 08-29-2007 11:05 AM

Yep, mine are stronger too than they used to be. They're not super tough like my Mom's have always been, but the layers don't split like they used to!

Heather 08-29-2007 11:05 AM

Not mine. They still break. It's not so much that they are brittle, but I have these natural break points/lines in the nails... plus, I swear weightlifting isn't good for my nails -- I'm constantly bashing them on something at the gym!

Anna829 08-29-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhighlan86 (Post 1833130)
You might not have been getting enough iron before. That's one sure sign of an iron defieceny when your nails are brittle and you can bend them. That's how I keep check at least.

They were never brittle before, and would grow a quarter inch before they broke (usually by being hit on something), but they have never been super strong like this. I've never heard of somebody being able to bend their nails before, though.

Lifeguard 08-29-2007 01:04 PM

Mine have been. It's actually something I've been bragging about lately - lol!

Rhighlan86 08-29-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

They were never brittle before, and would grow a quarter inch before they broke (usually by being hit on something), but they have never been super strong like this. I've never heard of somebody being able to bend their nails before, though.
Oh yeah, when I was very nearly anemic or whenever my iron dips I can bend my nails. They get incredibly soft. I up my iron and they are hard as bricks.

modkittn 08-29-2007 03:00 PM

My nails have ALWAYS been soft and bendable. I wish they'd have gotten stronger but .. no :(