Old 08-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 7'

Default Does slow and steady really win the race??

It's taking me forever to lose this weight! I average a pound a week now.

I am eating between 1,200-1,500 calories per day and I eat clean as much as possible. Oatmeal with wheat germ, walnuts and berries in the am etc.

I exercise for 30 mins on the elliptical per day and it says I burn 250 calories. I could step that up.

Anyway, I don't really mind (too much) but does anyone else lose at this slow rate??

If you did, was there anything you did to speed things up?

When I started I had calories at 1,200, too low and hit a big plateau.

Thanks!
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #2  
Slowly Shrinking

S/C/G: 271/157/145

Height: 5'9"

I took things slow and lost about 100 lbs in a little over 2 yrs. It's frustrating when you hear people who are losing a bunch of weight fast, but in the long run, I think it was better for me. I now have a plan I can stick to, instead of something I did in the short term to lose weight. I think if I had done something to lose it quickly, I wouldn't stick to it and I'd have gained it all back.
Christine in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I average about a pound a week too and sometimes it's frustating, other times I just accept it and keep on keepin' on Perhaps increase how long you exercise, generally 30 minutes is the minimum recommended, also you could try changing up what exercise you're doing, sometimes that helps because the more you do one exercise the more efficient your body gets at doing it, which is opposite of what we want!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi ,
I think you need to do what is right for you. As long as the weight is coming off, be happy. It is better than gaining, and the weight will come off when it needs to. Before you know it you will have everything you need to get off, off and be a hot mama.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey HocusPocus,

Age plays a role in it... and so does the amount of time overweight, sedentary, etc. A pound a week is really pretty good! But, you could try increasing your activity. I spend probably an hour and a half a day on exercise--I walk in the morning for about 45 minutes, and I go to the gym in the afternoon and use machines for 30 minutes and then do weights. When I was losing, I did this 5 or 6 days a week. Now I'm doing 4 (maintenance).

Just keep going! And be sure to drink your water. You can do it!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/255/160

Height: 5'4"

Default I wish!

I don't lose weight steadily like that at all, and I don't know why. The scale tends to stay about the same for a week or more, two maybe and then plop, five pounds gone. I went from 298 to 263 that way and then I froze at 263 for a long, long time. Couldn't lose a pound or half a pound for about 3 months. I tried lowering my calories, increasing my activity big time, and nothing, nothing, then suddenly 5 pounds fell off and then another in about three weeks.

I actually want to lose weight slowly and steadily (which, among other things, I've heard is the best way to try to avoid a problem with excess skin--can anyone vouch for this?) I don't really seem to be able to control the pace of my loss very exactly, though I've done the math (likely calories needed to run my body per day, minus 500 calories per day= 1 pound a week.) So far I've lost 44 pounds in 6 and 1/2 months which equals about 1.7 pounds a week roughly. I'd be happy to find a way to create more steady 1 poound a week weight loss. I eat between 1500-2000 calories a day, though lately it's been more around 1400-1800. I don't want to go too low because then I'll have to keep dropping lower and lower as I hit plateaus (is that true?)

Best,

WLB
wordlikeabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

At one pound a week you will be 52 pounds lighter a year from now than you are right now. Think about it like that!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:01 AM   #8  
Running to Catch Up

S/C/G: 261/ticker/150

I was doing the same thing for awhile -- then I realized I was having a ton of carbs within my daily calorie limit (around 1550). Once I started watching the carbs (not going low-carb), the weight started coming off a bit faster. Maybe you just need to try different methods within the calorie counting (lower fat and/or lower carb, more protein, etc) to see what works best for your body?
Minty Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

Christine in NJ,
As you lost the weight, can you tell me if the excess skin is adjusted as you lose, especially the excess around the middle and legs. I want to lose slowly for that reason, if it is true. I am at 280 now and 60 yrs old, I know if I lose much --the skin will be terible. Help!
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 7'

Thanks, I feel much better. I am 48 and so far the slow loss has been good for my skin. I already told my DH that once I am done I'll need a tummy tuck, a breast lift and upper arm work! As soon as we are done having 3 kids in college and weddings, 3 daughters.

My oldest is getting married in 15 months so that is why I would like to step it up.

WLB, I lose like you do. I just averaged it. I lost fast at the start and now, it's like your pattern. I started at 900-1200, sit next to a former anorexic at work and her tips were not good! lol Increased calories because of the plateau.

We are getting a puppy tomorrow so walking will be in my future! I can't wait. I don't like to stroll, I like a purpose.

I will watch the carbs.

Thanks!!
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

AuntChuChu, the skin does tend to sag. It can also improve over time! So don't lose hope and don't give up just because of that. Besides, loose skin can be dressed around and even fixed surgically, if one is up to that--whereas being overweight is a problem not so easily fixed. No one died from loose skin (as far as I know).

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

YES - slow and steady does win the race! Let me tell you how I know.

We had a biggest loser competition at work last year (that's what got me started losing weight). Several people jumped out to a quick lead losing 5 or more pound in the first week and did the same for the next few weeks. I never lost more than 2 pounds a week during the entire competition. Well Christmas came along and several people started to gain weight or lose interest. I kept losing my 1 - 2 pounds a week and slowly started to climb to the top. Guess what? I ended up winning the competition! There were 25 people in the game and I lost slowly but stuck with it. I'm still losing weight and most of the other people have gained their weight back. They just tried to lose it as fast as they could even if that meant starving. I've been down that road way to many times and wasn't going to do it this time.

From one slow loser to another don't compare yourself to anyone else. Just do what works for you and don't worry about anyone else.
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingirl View Post
YES - slow and steady does win the race! Let me tell you how I know.

We had a biggest loser competition at work last year (that's what got me started losing weight). Several people jumped out to a quick lead losing 5 or more pound in the first week and did the same for the next few weeks. I never lost more than 2 pounds a week during the entire competition. Well Christmas came along and several people started to gain weight or lose interest. I kept losing my 1 - 2 pounds a week and slowly started to climb to the top. Guess what? I ended up winning the competition! There were 25 people in the game and I lost slowly but stuck with it. I'm still losing weight and most of the other people have gained their weight back. They just tried to lose it as fast as they could even if that meant starving. I've been down that road way to many times and wasn't going to do it this time.

From one slow loser to another don't compare yourself to anyone else. Just do what works for you and don't worry about anyone else.

Hi Robyn. That sounds like the same thing we're doing at work. Everyone chipped in $10 per month and decided to set it up on a 2 month goal to start. I am one of the leaders in losing weight however I need to lose more weight than anyone else so I think that's why I'm losing a bit faster. I don't even care about winning the pot I just want to lose weight for me!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #14  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Hocus Pocus start walking!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

Cristy - that's exactly what we did. We pitched in $10 and weighed with the school nurse every Monday. The only bad thing was that the person running it didn't get the money up front and so some of the people that gave up didn't pay. I should have gotten $250 but I got $100. I'm with you I wasn't in it for the money and I figured it was still way cheaper than going to WW meetings and I was still a winner even if I didn't win the competition. It was a lot of fun because we did support each other and we had some fun with the competition as well. I work for a school district so we are doing it during the summer, but I hope we start again in the fall.
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote