3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Need ideas for getting off Fast Food.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/117545-need-ideas-getting-off-fast-food.html)

PinkHoodie 07-11-2007 02:12 PM

Need ideas for getting off Fast Food....

I had McDonalds last night. I am not beating myself up over it, because in the past I would have had a HUGE sandwhich and fries. But I got the Bacon Ranch without the ranch sauce, and just a medium fry. And had water with it at home. I just can't seem to tell myself no more fast food. I really am addicted to it. Should I just put a limit on it, like 2 times a month? I don't think that will have a HUGE effect on my diet, or weight loss. As long as I don't go over my calories. The limit it to once a month or something? I just want some input maybe from people who are BTDT.
I have watched Supersize me, I have read the books, etc. And I still want the food. But at the same time don't. Because I like healthy food. One thing I am thinking is it may be I am getting sick of the Lean Cuisines. So I am going to start cooking dinner 3 times a week, and see if that helps. Any ides/suggestions would be appreciated!!! :)

Kae 07-11-2007 02:30 PM

I've been there. A month ago I was eating fast food almost everyday- at least one meal a day. There is not some great advice I can give you. I just cut it out. I think I have had Subway once this month-- but no fastfood. The cravings are still there from time to time but really it gets a lot easier once you have it out of your system. I am finding the same to be true for sweets and other junk food. The first week or so I swear you go through withdrawls-- tired, cranky, GOTTA EAT! But really it does feel like once you pass that stage it is so much easier to say no. Don't get me wrong, I am still slightly hesitant when I say no, but at least now I stop to think rather than just grabbing it and chowing it down.

walking2lose 07-11-2007 02:35 PM

I know fast food restaurants are ubiquitous, but is there any way you can avoid driving by your favorite ones? I like Taco Bell a lot, and several years I was semi addicted to it for a while. I wasn't really addicted, but it seemed that almost any time I drove by it, I had to have something, even when I wasn't terribly hungry. I had to consciously stop driving by this particular Taco Bell (which I was able to do - I just went a different way to work), until I broke my habit of getting a burrito or mexi melt or whatever. That worked for me. Where I now live, I have to consciously go out of my way to pass a Taco Bell, which is a blessing. When I do pass it now, it doesn't tempt me like it used to.

Just a thought... good luck!

Just remember... fast food (99% of it) is truly horrible for your body!!!

Jasmine31 07-11-2007 02:36 PM

I am a work in progress but what I did and worked for me was put my foot down and tell myself once a week, THAT IS IT! That way I don't go nuts. Sometimes I will be out in town and smell something and go, oh I want that1 But I will say, you CAN have that, just not today!

We usually have pizza twice a month. Twice burgers and fries. Mimic food that you like and do a healthier version of it at home.

Jasmine31 07-11-2007 02:38 PM

Walking I hear ya on the taco bell! My favorite is the nachos bell grande. But you know what? I haven't been there in months! I make a healtheir version at home. Chili beans with lots of tomato, garlic, onion, tomato sauce, red beans, ground low fat turkey, portioned tort chips, an oz of cheese and lots of salsa! I don't even miss going there. ;)

CLCSC145 07-11-2007 02:52 PM

The first thing I did was switch from McD's (and a half dozen others) to ChickFilA and would have their chargrilled chicken sandwich on whole wheat with lettuce and tomato, no sauce and a side of fruit. It was low calorie. Then I decided that I didn't need that either, so I'm off it completely. And this is from someone who used fast food as their binge of choice, so I KNOW you can do it to. You need to be tough on yourself and set your mind to it. And then don't bend no matter how much your inner voices beg. It's not worth it. And no long after, it really does stop calling to you.

Get n healthy 07-11-2007 03:18 PM

I think it all comes down to knowing yourself, and if you look at this as a lifetime plan. I know myself well enough to know that i am not going to stay on plan for a lifetime if i cant have fast food. So for me, the compromise is, i can eat subway during the week whenever I want. I have to choose one of their healthy options, like the turkey on wheat, no chips, no soda. I take it home and eat it with soy chips...works for me and easily stays in my calorie range for the day. I also can handle taco bell. Some steer clear of it, but if you can go there and just get two tacos, or get a bean burrito...what is the harm? I get the feeling of eating fast food, while staying in my calorie range.

Now for me, what is off limits is McDonalds...i cant go to mcdonalds and get a yogurt and salad...if i go to mcdonalds and smell a big mac and fries...i will cave and order a big mac and fries. So that is a special treat only, i cant go there during the week at all.

There are healthy fast food choices out there. Arbys is not bad if you just get a regular sandwich with no fries. Chick-fil-a is not bad if you can control yourself there.

It all depends on what *you* can live with for a lifetime. I know i will always have to grab food in a hurry on occasion...so i am realistic...on those days, i grab a subway or two tacos from taco bell and no harm is done. On the days i just HAVE TO have a big mac...i tell myself, not today, but on friday...i wait it out and if i still want a big mac, then i have it...but only on fridays.

Find a compromise that you can do for life.

sockmonkey70 07-11-2007 03:21 PM

I will not lie.I still haven't conquered this hurdle. McD's is my poison of choice as well, and I still break down and eat it once or twice a week. I do find that when I do eat it, I always want more even if I am not hungry. I don't know why it is so hard to resist those fat packed unhealthy excuses for food SIIIIIIGGGGHHH. I LOVE french fries, so I am having a terribly difficult time with this LOL.

Minty Fresh 07-11-2007 03:22 PM

This topic came up at an appropriate time, as I am taking my kids to McD's for dinner tonight as a treat (hubby is out of town, and we haven't been in over 5 weeks). I was thinking "What could I have tonight", and then when I looked at their nutritional info sheet and saw all the fat I would have ingested had I had what I wanted to have, I totally changed my mind.

Still going to let the kids have their happy meals tonight, but I think we'll just drive through and I'll make something at home or pick up a salad with my dressing.

Those nutritional info sheets really work for me in helping me pick better choices because seeing it right there in black and white really does it for me.

lendingheart 07-11-2007 03:24 PM

this sounds weird i know but my suggestion.... what helped me! BE BROKE!

I couldnt afford to eat out... i know you are not going to throw money out the window but when you go by McDonalds and buy the food... stop and give it to a poor family... or a homeless person...

or just think of something you would like to buy yourself ( smaller clothes)... and look at the price of the food and take that money out and put it in its own special enveloped marked SKINNY.

change your focus from the food to something else!

After about 2 weeks of not eating fast food and eating the good food .. the smell of mc donalds will gag you.... it does me! ( even thou now i could buy it)

ps... hubby started working in a meat prossesing plant... where they make hanburger patties.... watching it be done with all the mess he swore off red meat and the thought of burgers.... thats what fixed him! Visit a meat plant!

PinkHoodie 07-11-2007 03:25 PM

Thats a really good suggestion, about waiting till the end of the week, and if I still want it, then I can have it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Going to try REALLY hard to work on it! :)

sharonrr1 07-11-2007 03:30 PM

If it is a food that I can't just have a small amount, I no longer eat it. I do the same with fast food. If I go with my family I have a side salad with water. I don't feel I am giving up anything I am gaining a healthy new me.

tingirl 07-11-2007 03:36 PM

I totally understand. My weekness is McD's fries. I would crave them all of the time. So I started making my own version at home. I take the frozen skinny fries and spray them with PAM, season them up and bake them - YUMMY! Served with a Boca Burger or Chicken sandwich with all the trimmings - way less calories and just as satisfying without the guilt. Plus it cost a lot less!

Buy yourself a special treat with the money you would have spent on fast food. Your body will run so much better without all of that gunk in it. Good luck.

PinkHoodie 07-11-2007 03:38 PM

That is such a good suggestion about the fries. Cuz a lot of times, I AM craving the fries. So I think its a good idea to have a different version I can have at home GUILT FREE! Thanks for that!

What kind of seasoning do you put on them? And do you buy a certain brand of fries?

Janny O 07-11-2007 03:41 PM

The movie "Supersize Me" cured me of fast food. I can't even watch it anymore. I save all of my fastfood money and go buy new clothes with it.
It adds up pretty fast!