Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 307/283/199

Height: 5'6"

I do think genetics plays a role. When I was in my mid-20s, I lost 100 lbs. and had no skin issues. I'm a lot older now, so if I end up near goal weight with saggy skin, no biggie -- it still will beat being so overweight. If I were younger and ended up with a lot of loose skin, I'd certainly consider surgery to remove it after I'd been successful at maintenance for a decent period.

Don't panic about the skin issue until you know if you are going to have one -- not everyone does!
KCMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

I am scared of the excess skin after losing weight. Will exercises help

Last edited by AuntChuChu; 04-12-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: changing signature
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #18  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntChuChu View Post
I am scared of the excess skin after losing weight. Will exercises help

Yes. It may help the actual skin to firm up (better circulation etc.), but you will definitely look better with good muscle tone under the excess skin. At 50, I have quite a bit of extra skin right now. I'm still hopeful that it will firm up some more. But, I much prefer the loose skin to the extra 70 lbs!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #19  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I think working out and gaining muscle tone will definately help. If the circulation is improved I can't see why some of that skin wouldn't tighten up a bit. Mind you it isn't going to go all the way back but with time and exercise I think you'd see improvement but like everything else in life it won't happen overnight. I'll take it over feeling awful about my health.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:10 AM   #20  
On the Trail

S/C/G: 270/230/220

Height: 5'11"

I'm another one who is scared of excess skin. So, I looked into plastic surgery. If I lose the rest of the weight . . . well, let's just say that I'll deserve a little, erm, pick-me-up.
AutumnHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I recently started working in cosmetics and have been learning about skin's health. While it's not much, I've learned that hot showers are the WORST for your skin, same with a hot bath, they cause your skin to sag and loose elasticity by drying it out. Moisturize like crazy! Those gimmicky creams sometimes do work, watch for ones with caffeine in them, which helps with circulation. Use a sunscreen! With all of today's technology you can fake a great tan!

It's probably not exactly what you all were thinking, but those little changes may help, and prevent some of that excess skin.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #22  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

I've been watching this thread past couple of days, and have been contemplating responding to it.

I, too have problems with excess skin. I would love to have Oprah pay to have it removed. I saw a plastic surgeon and was told it would cost me $55,000 to have a full body lift (nose job, too).

I am learning to deal with this. In fact, I am now realizing I had selfish thoughts about the removal. "You can't have your cake and eat it to." I am in this weight loss to gain back my health, which I have. I beat diabetes, I am very athletic, and I am well educated, I got to the point where I giggle at the skin, how it looks to be a wrinkly mess. I play with it, stretching it out, reminding myself how I was. Underneath it all, I can feel the hard muscles building up. To me, the skin is a trophy. There is only 1 way to have this skin, and thats by massive weight loss. Sure, I weighed alot, but because of hard work, and determination, I lost alot.

When I have my belly tucked into my underwear, I notice I look smaller now. I buy smaller sized clothes from a second-hand store, and they fit so much better.

I am no longer bothered by the skin. When it comes down to it, and I am about to get intimate with someone, if they are freaked out, I will put my clothes back on and leave. However, at this time when we are both naked, we really don't care anymore.

I developed this new attitude a few months ago. Bob Harper..in his latest book "Are you ready?" talks about accepting yourself. I wholeheartedly agree with this.

There are things we can do, to make the clothes compliment the body. Where form-fitting clothes. Where a tight belt. Where a push-up bra (something I personally have not done). Wear a girdle.
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #23  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoBeeDude View Post
To me, the skin is a trophy. There is only 1 way to have this skin, and thats by massive weight loss. Sure, I weighed alot, but because of hard work, and determination, I lost alot.
I love this!!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #24  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Well, my skin doesn't look great puffed out with fat LOL so I guess it's which "kinda gross" you wanna live with - personally, I'd rather look good in clothes and so-so in the buff, than so-so in both!

I was walking from my room to the bathroom and caught sight of myself in the full-length mirror and i only had boy-cut undies & tank top on and i didn't HATE what I saw!! first time in a longggggggggggggggggg time, and there's a little loose skin on the inner thigh - but everything else looks so much better! yay!

either way, it's not a today problem!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 305/300/1-236/2-180

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks for that link rockinrobin, that also answers my question. I was a little nervous about it too!
Rayelle is offline   Reply With Quote