Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #1  

Default Rate your diet plan

So just curious -- what plan are most of you on?

On a scale of one to ten -- one being not at all and ten being right on the nose -- can you answer the following.

1. My diet is food-restrictive.
2. My diet will work in variable situations for the rest of my life (holidays, parties, etc.)
3. My diet is well known.
4. I made my own diet up for myself.
5. I try not to let others know that I am making these lifestyle changes.
6. My whole family is taking part in aspects of my lifestyle changes.
7. I am better able to handle temptations since I began my changes.
8. I am still struggling to get it right.
9. I am losing weight at a rate I am happy with.
10. I love 3FC (just had to stick that in there)
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

1. My diet is food-restrictive. NO
2. My diet will work in variable situations for the rest of my life (holidays, parties, etc.) YES
3. My diet is well known. YES, IT'S CALLED EATING
4. I made my own diet up for myself. YES
5. I try not to let others know that I am making these lifestyle changes. IF ANYONE ASKS I'M HAPPY TO SAY I'M EATING BETTER, OTHERWISE I COULD GIVE A S**T ABOUT TELLING PEOPLE - NO ONE CARES LOL
6. My whole family is taking part in aspects of my lifestyle changes. YES AND NO. I CAN'T CONTROL WHAT OTHER PEOPLE DO
7. I am better able to handle temptations since I began my changes. YES
8. I am still struggling to get it right. YES
9. I am losing weight at a rate I am happy with. YES
10. I love 3FC (just had to stick that in there YESSSSSSSSSSSSS
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

So just curious -- what plan are most of you on?

On a scale of one to ten -- one being not at all and ten being right on the nose -- can you answer the following.

Well it's calorie restrictive, so therefore in a sense it's kinda restrictive. (Restrictive is good by the way. ) I CHOOSE to restrict certain foods majority of the time, all right large majority of the time. So maybe I'd give it a 7.5

2. My diet will work in variable situations for the rest of my life (holidays, parties, etc.)

Well it is my own plan, but it IS calorie counting, which has been around forever. So let's say we give it a 8.

Yes and no. I incorporated my favorite foods, my likes and dislikes. My "scheduele". But then again it's that well known calorie counting thing going on, combined with mostly whole foods. So let's give it a 7.

At this point whoever knew me before said lifestyle change pretty much knows for sure that SOMETHING has changed with me. There's just no way around that. A 3, maybe?

10 I'm the cook, nuf' said .

1,000,000,000,000 nah - make that INFINITY

Well I've gotten it "right". Meaning I know EXACTLY what to do. But there are still days that it's a struggle to actually DO what needs to be done. And I suspect there always will be. Maybe a 4 or a 3 or a who knows what?

10+

10++++
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #4  
Chubby vegan :\

Height: 5'9"

Nope, not in the least.
YEP
Calorie-counting, not a commercial plan, so I guess in a way, yes.
Yeah
I tell everyone who needs to know, like friends struggling with weight loss and those that may not know they're tempting me with goodies Everyone close to me is aware. I've pretty much told EVERYONE. (I talk alot).
It's just me and my husband, and yes, he's getting healthier, too!
Yes!!! It's great!
Not really. (Struggling is when I'm bingeing uncontrollably!!)
I was, but now I'm having to adjust my calories and up the exercise. (I'm "happy" that I'm eating according to a healthier plan, which I certainly wasn't doing before!)
Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!! What a blessing this place has been in helping me do this! I've never "met" such amazingly supportive and helpful people.
Christine in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Yes. When I changed my life in July 2004, I gave up: fast food, sugary soda, packaged baked goods, most fried foods, foods in cream-based sauces, most candy. I severely limit the following: alcohol, desserts, ice cream, cold cereal, the occasional piece of fine dark chocolate, cheese (mostly because it hurts my stomach these days. I honestly do not miss these foods at all - switching to whole foods eliminated most of my crazy food cravings.

Absolutely. My plan is basically whole foods + calorie counting. It is flexible, allowing occasional treats. I understand that I will occasionally eat offplan, I just have to immediately get back on plan. I have been maintaining my weight within 5 lbs for over 2.5 years and it has included holidays, vacations, 5 course dinners and extremely fancy restaurants (with course by course wine pairings!).

No.

Yes. In my opinion the only diet that will work for a particular individual is a diet that is created by that individual. I am the only one who knows I can live without fast food but I can't live without an occasional glass of red wine. I am the only one that knows I can eat baby carrots/red pepper strips/grape tomatoes and sugar snap peas for a snack every day but I need to split dessert in a restaurant once a week with friends.

Ha. No. All of my family, friends, coworkers know about my "super food diet." I lost nearly 75 lbs and people ask all the time how I did it.

N/A

Some days are better than others I am very good about my "NO'S" but I succumb to temptation occasionally (ate a surprise piece of baklava today, heh). But hey - I am human, it will happen. I made my healthy dinner for tonight and MOVED ON.

No. I feel very comfortable with my new healthy way of eating. I do have the occasional "oh wow, you really ate a lot of cheese and crackers at the company meeting" but I accept that I will occasionally eat offplan. I try to make 90% of my choices GOOD choices.

I lost the first 55 lbs in about 7 months. It took me another 9 months to lose the last 15 lbs. Overall, I was very happy with the rate of loss and my eventual end weight.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #6  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

1. My diet is food-restrictive.- No 10
2. My diet will work in variable situations for the rest of my life (holidays, parties, etc.)- yes! 10
3. My diet is well known. a huh! 8
4. I made my own diet up for myself. yes, with much research 10
5. I try not to let others know that I am making these lifestyle changes. yes. I am somewhat private about this in my personal life. 10
6. My whole family is taking part in aspects of my lifestyle changes. just my immediate family. 10
7. I am better able to handle temptations since I began my changes. I'm getting there! 8
8. I am still struggling to get it right. no 10
9. I am losing weight at a rate I am happy with. yes 9
10. I love 3FC (just had to stick that in there) yes 10
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Oooo funness!

7...I've just switched to lighter foods and lesser quantities. Still good quality though!

10...I can eat what I want so long as I (A) keep count and (B) don't go buck wild.

10...just counting calories; its seems to be very common.

10...Like I said I just eat smarter now.

5...I don't walk around with a sandwich board advterising that I'm trying to lose weight. But my husband, both sides of the family and the friends we spend time with (dinners...eek!) know.

10...right now its just the hubby and I (no kids). He's on board and eating healthier with me.

8...I still have yucky days where I slip, but overall I'm doing alright. I can stay up alone now, whereas I used to have to either go to bed or risk gorging when the hubby went to sleep!

8...I need to work on getting off my butt and exercising. I'm so lazy!

3...according to the math I did when I set my first mini-goal, I should be down almost 10 pounds, not 6!

10+++ 3FC's the source is my inspiration. I heart all of you guys!
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

My diet is food-restrictive. Well I haven't eaten poultry or red meat for years
but my diet allows me to eat anything as long as it is good for me.
2. My diet will work in variable situations for the rest of my life (holidays, parties, etc.) Yes, I think so, salads are almost everywhere.
3. My diet is well known. It is not really a diet, it is just eating healthy( what alot of experts are saying).
4. I made my own diet up for myself. yes
5. I try not to let others know that I am making these lifestyle changes. yes
6. My whole family is taking part in aspects of my lifestyle changes. yes
7. I am better able to handle temptations since I began my changes. yes
8. I am still struggling to get it right. no
9. I am losing weight at a rate I am happy with. yes
10. I love 3FC (just had to stick that in there) yes
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #9  
Meg

Great question and interesting answers!

Absolutely. I'm not sure how we can lose weight if we don't restrict food? I restrict both the kinds of food I eat and the quantities.

Sure, because I'm a calorie counter and everything has calories, so can be counted.

Who hasn't heard of calories and calorie counting?

Pretty much. Even though I'm a calorie counter, I don't consider all foods to be equal. Also, I hate being told what to eat. So I eat what I like within limited calories and certain parameters of lean protein, good carbs, and good fats, in the ratios that work best of me. I choose not to eat about 95% of what's considered to be "food".

Why? I'm proud of what I eat and my lifestyle changes. I'm proud of who I am today. And I've reached the point in my life where I don't give a fig about what anyone else thinks.

DS lost 70 pounds and DD lost 55 pounds, so as a family we've lost 247 pounds. But they eat and exercise very much their own ways, which is often different than my way.

Absolutely. It doesn't kill you to be hungry and it's a lot easier to say no to the first cookie than the second. Unfortunately, I'm not a moderate person so my way of dealing with temptations is to stay far, far away.

I know exactly what to do, but actually doing it is still tough at times.

I'm maintaining (5+ years at goal) but I'd really like to lose five more pounds and that's just as s-l-o-w as can be.

It's been a part of my life for ten years now!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I love this thread . . .

Guess that depends on what "food-restrictive" means to you. It's restrictive in the sense that I'm eating less and controlling some of my choices fairly strictly. It's non-restrictive in the sense that nothing is totally off-limits.

Absolutely. This is a life-style change.

Sort of Yes, but mostly No

Mostly Yes. Kind of a cross pollination of CDA (Canadian Diabetes Association) guidelines with aspects of Volumetrics and good old Calorie Counting thrown in.

Not a biggie. If they ask, I tell . . . If they don't, I don't.

My immediate family is ME

I think I was always "able to handle temptations" but I just didn't do it - now I do it (most of the time, anyway ).

I expect I will be "struggling" to "keep it right" for the rest of my life.

Well . . . no . . . I'd like it to be faster (wouldn't we all); but I am happy just to be losing at all.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #11  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

Nope!

Of course!

Well, I would imagine it is.

Sort of? I don't like calling it a diet though. I just call it "eating healthier" I count calories and cut out all the snacks that I used to eat DAILY but other than that..it's just normal eating healthier. I can't take credit for making it up

The only people that need to know is my immediate family whom I live with

My stick skinny husband enjoys eating my food...and then the rest of the families dinner..if that counts haha

Definitely. I just think about the scale and how I don't want to be this way forever.

Well of course, I will probably always struggle..no one is perfect.

It's only the beginning but yea I'm happy with it!

OF COURSE! I don't know what I would do without 3FC!
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My "diet" has evolved so much in the past couple years.

Probably an 8 - When I first started losing weight, I just starting improving my eating and I started losing weight. As I lost more weight, my eating plan evolved and became more restrictive but all the restrictions are really my own.

9 - The only reason this isn't a 10 is because sometimes I voluntarily go off plan a couple times per year. Mostly when I go visit my family and get to eat food that I don't normally eat. I don't generally have difficulties fitting in normal situations though with my eating plan.

3 - My eating plan contains components of many weight loss principles but it has really been my own evolution.

7 - Yes and no. I've used lots of components from various influences but it isn't a cookie cutter and it wasn't something I just came up with out of the blue.

7 - I really don't mention it but others do ask and I'll tell them how I've lost weight. I will also mention what things I try to do. DH knows what I'm doing though.

8 - Again, yes and no. DH eats things I don't eat but both of us try to eat fairly healthy. I also reduced both of our portions in eating. DH has a higher metabolism though so he really needs to eat a bit more than I do and also he doesn't need to lose weight.

10 - Definitely. When I eat junk, I want junk. When I eat healthier, I want to eat healthier.

3 - I'm not sure struggling is the right word but I do try to keep improving my eating plan as I lose weight. Also sometimes it is difficult to get the amount of exercise that I want to get.

9 - I am pretty happy with the rate at which I lose weight. Even when I don't lose weight, I am happy with my overall eating plan.

10 - Of course
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Great thread! I'm going to forgo the number scale and just respond to the statements.

Not in the least. I'm taking this to mean specific foods, not calories. Obviously I restrict the total number of calories.
Yes, because it's not food-restrictive!
I guess, because I count Weight Watchers points. I don't follow their plan exactly -- I just count points instead of calories because it's handy and it accounts for fat and fiber.
Yes, in the sense that I've taken the WW plan and tweaked it a bit.
No, I'm ok with talking about it. I wasn't as much at first, because I worried about being able to stick with it, but I've been pretty open all along.
It's just me and the husband, and he eats pretty healthily anyway. He takes part more in the exercise part because he gives me running advice.
Absolutely.
I'm definitely not struggling, because my weight loss has been consistent for nearly a year. I do tweak things sometimes, but I've pretty much been doing the same thing and getting reliable results for quite a while now, so I'd say I've got it right.
Yes, it's been a pretty consistent 1-2 pounds a week for almost a year.
Of course!!!

Last edited by LisaMarie71; 07-11-2007 at 02:13 PM.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #14  
Running to Catch Up

S/C/G: 261/ticker/150

1. My diet is food-restrictive. Yes, but if it wasn't, I would have a bigger body!
2. My diet will work in variable situations for the rest of my life (holidays, parties, etc.) Yes
3. My diet is well known. Yes, low-fat, calorie-counting, and exercise!
4. I made my own diet up for myself. Yes, pretty much actually.
5. I try not to let others know that I am making these lifestyle changes. Doesn't bother me, hubby is on Atkins!
6. My whole family is taking part in aspects of my lifestyle changes. Yes, they have no choice since I cook, though my kids still get their treats because they don't have any weight issues
7. I am better able to handle temptations since I began my changes. Yes, suprisingly!
8. I am still struggling to get it right. Not really, I struggle more with figuring out what to have within my calorie range than I struggle with the total amount of calories I can have.
9. I am losing weight at a rate I am happy with. Sure, why not. I'd prefer more, but I know that isn't reasonable!
10. I love 3FC (just had to stick that in there) Yes
Minty Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #15  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

1. My diet is food-restrictive. 5 I pretty much eat whatever I want to.

2.My diet will work in variable situations for the rest of my life (holidays, parties, etc.) 9 Yea since I don't strictly forbid myself anything, how could it go wrong? HAHA

3. My diet is well known. 10 Calorie counting is number 1!!

4. I made my own diet up for myself. 8 I stole calorie counting and made it my own.

5. I try not to let others know that I am making these lifestyle changes. 2 Who cares if they know?

6. My whole family is taking part in aspects of my lifestyle changes. 6 One aunt to the point of annoyance because she thinks she knows everything about dieting and I am TOTALLY doing it wrong.

7. I am better able to handle temptations since I began my changes. 7 Not quite...

8. I am still struggling to get it right. 7 Somedays more than others.

9. I am losing weight at a rate I am happy with. 9 I am sure we all wish it could be overnight...but of course I am happy with the way things are going.

10. I love 3FC (just had to stick that in there) over 9000000000
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote