Old 07-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #1  

Default I have a confession...

I have been walking nearly every day for the past 2 weeks (and on and off for a week or two before). Every time, someone has went with me, whether it was my hubby (who is trying to lose weight with me), my friend (who was being sympathetic), or my charges (who are 1 and 3, and full of energy). Today, however, I went solo. And it...was.....AWESOME! I loved going at my own pace, listening to my own tunes, and enjoying the scenery (I live in the country, so other than the cow poop smell, it's quite beautiful), and even didn't mind sweating like a pig. Now I am just afraid that I am going to hurt the hubby's feeling if I tell him I'd rather be alone for my daily walk. We have such little time together as is, I will feel bad taking another 45 minutes away. Ah, what to do, what to do?
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #2  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 251/248/150

Height: 5'8"

I think that he'll understand. We all need that alone time, and if it feels good for you, then do it!
Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

You can try the technique I use with my boyfriend: we run together, but only inasmuch as we both leave for our run at the same time and go the same route. We each listen to our own headphones, and we don't concern ourselves with pace because should one of us feel like going faster or slower, we do so -- and then if one of us has run a fair distance ahead of the other, we turn around to loop back to where the other one of us is along the route. This way, it's not as if one of us ends up feeling "left in the dust," and it's still sorta nice to be on the same route for a bit (albeit small) of comraderie.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #4  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Or you could always do 2 walks, if its possible. I know its harder with kids. Just a thought!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I know how you feel, I walk with a lady at work and her knees are bad and I hate to say anything but I really want to pick up the pace but am embarrassed to tell her especially since she's going as fast as she can. I plan on leaving for work early and getting an early morning walk in - that way if I have to slow down my pace in the PM I know that I've already got in one solid walk.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #6  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

I know how you feel. I would turn down the offers of friends just because I wanted to do my own thing. I like the idea of walking together, but not worrying about maintaining the same pace. Circling back to rejoin with your partner is a nice way to watch out for each other. Have you thought about alternating days? One day by yourself, the next w/ company?
I no longer walk alone and must confess it's not as fun. But it has gotten my kids active, they ride bikes ahead of me while I walk Trixie. I have been less consistent this year because its not as fun. Hopefully your family will understand and support you, so you will keep walking!
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #7  

What about alternating days? Maybe every other day he gets to tag along??
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #8  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Or two walks a day! One with hubby, one by yourself. Robin mentioned she takes two walks a day and I've been toying with the idea of adding a second walk rather than increasing my 3.5 mile one.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, I love walking with my DH but it's not the same so ... I go when he's at work or something and then I go again with him.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

I agree I love my alone time while walking. My husband went we me for a couple of weeks and it was nice, but he was always suggesting that I run. I hate to run! I was really starting to get mad thinking I'm been on my program for months and doing well and now you are going to try to tell me how to do it!!!!! Lucky for me he lost interest after we got back from vacation before I had to say anything to him
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

My husband and I both exercise, but rarely together. He goes to the Y every morning at 5:00. I'd really rather be eating dirt than exercising at 5. I do my thing later in the morning. Then in the evening we sometimes do something together like a bike ride or I'll walk and he'll ride but keep looping back around to chat. We keep each other updated on what we do, but we just don't work together. In the winter we do sometimes get side-by-side treadmills at the Y and watch the news or something. Treadmills are great for people at different levels. He's 6'3" and walks 5.5 mph. I'm 5'4" and walk 4.2 mph.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #12  

5.....as in 5 in the morning?! Wow...that's....wow. Early? As an understatement.

The hubby was pretty understanding. I could see that look of disappointment, but he understands. I told him I'd exercise with him when I got back. And luckily, I don't have kids...so it isn't too hard to do two walks, or two rounds of exercise. By "charges" I meant the kids I nanny for. After this job, it definitely scratched my baby itch and then some! We plan on waiting a while before starting that part of our life.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #13  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I am in your boat as well. I prefer to go walking by myself. I dont have to worry about someone else hearing my huffing and puffing and I go at my own pace and jam to my music. Besides, I don't want to talk and carry on when I am out there, I want to get moving and that is it.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #14  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Oh, it sounds like we're all in the same boat. I love to walk ALONE! I know many people want or need the support of an exercise buddy, but when I walk that seems to be the only time that I'm alone, and I'm convinced that it's a great stress reliever. Time to think without being interrupted, listening to whatever I want on my ipod, going at whatever pace I choose for today. My DH has onsight gym facilities at work so he normally works out before he comes home for the day. Days off or vacations, however, he tends to join me on my walks to get in some exercise. These times are not real often, so I've started walking with him when he wants, but then I come home and use my elliptical machine for that solo workout time. Seems like it's working!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote