Old 07-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #1  

Question Joining curves?

I used to be a curves member some years ago, and I never lost any weight, I did tone up some, but didn't really lose anything. Then again, I wasn't trying real hard, I was eating like crazy, and just working out there to make my family happy because they were worried about me. But I'm honestly thinking about maybe joining again. There's one 30 miles away from me, that I pass everytime I come home from school (which is only 2 days a week), but I'm near it at least 3-4 times a week, so if I joined, I could be working out that much!

I don't really remember alot about it. And I'm worried that its gonna cost alot, and I have very little money right now... Does anyone know what the going rate is to join there?

And does it still take only 30 minutes?
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 299/299/225

Height: 5'5

Hello-

I was as Curves member about a year and some months ago, back then the rate for me was 30 a month, because they were running specials with area businesses....I know they do have specials with certin heathcare providers as well...
As far as time it runs pretty close to a half hour, that is if you are dressed and ready and don't count the time to stretch...
Hope that helps...
CrazyRai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8

i too was a member of curves once and lost nothing.. not only that but when i would be trying my hardest on their machines, they would tell me to slow down because of heart rates or what not and i did not enjoy being a slow poke hence probably why i did not lose weight.. and by the way i did not suffer from any medical conditions and i was perfectly ok to work out my heart (yes i got the ok from my doctor) so i dont know why curves insisted i slow down.. never again will i waste my money on them i rather go to a real gym.
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #4  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 251/248/150

Height: 5'8"

That's weird, at my Curves they don't tell us to slow down. We have a chart that tells us how fast our heart should be going for what we want, like if we want to burn fat or build muscle. I guess it depends where you go.

I live in canada and it costs about $41 a month. The work out seems long to me, because you have to stretch and such afterward. It's 30-60 mins. I lost almost 20lbs last summer, but I gained it back because I went back on birth control.
Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I was thinking of joining as well....
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #6  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I've been going to Curves for almost a year. I haven't lost any real weight because I hadn't stopped my bad eating habits. I have gained some strength and toned some muscles.

I like mine because they don't tell me how to work out. Sometimes I stay on a machine for a full minute or two. I sometimes even go around the circuit three times just doing my own thing. They call me a rebel and let me be. I LOVE it when I can have the place to myself and the little worker girl goes off to yack on the phone leaving me alone with all those machines and the music.

And I have heard lots of negative things about Curves. I admit that once I'm down to a more normal weight that I will probably have to leave Curves and join a better gym where I can get a more intense workout. However, for an obese woman, who doesn't want to work out with a bunch of young, skinny minnies, then Curves is a good place to go. I think I get a better workout at Curves then doing my own thing at home and it is wayyyyyyyyyy too hot to go walking outdoors.

If you can find an Avon representative with a book I think there are often coupons in there for joining up.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

my doctor told me to stay away from curves ???? he said the artificial support of your core - ie, sitting & laying down to isolate only one muscle group, wouldn't benefit me much. I'd only burn about 150 calories, but if i used my whole body to either walk, do lunges, or move that goofy BALL around, i'd burn a lot more...more is better! of course, laying down sounds pretty good right about now...hmmmmmm
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #8  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

It's been about 1-1/2 years since I was a Curves member but I've seen signs around here that my local Curves is running a special with no sign up fee and a monthly fee of $29/mo. I loved the Curves that I originally joined and I did lose weight...but I had to incorporate diet in with the exercise routine!

I never thought that I'd do it, but I did finally join a "regular" gym a month ago and I've very glad that I did. Not only do I have access to more equipment/weights, I also have access to the pool, different classes like arobics & kick boxing but it's open at 5 in the morning and it doesn't close until midnight! All for $34/mo. Since your Curves is so far away, you might want to check out a regular gym also.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #9  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 251/248/150

Height: 5'8"

Curves isn't just "lying down". It has a bunch of different machines and it switches from bottom and top. So you'll be on a machine where you work your thigh muscles, then onto a pad where you can jog on the spot, then a machine that you work your upper body, like your arms. It does this all around the circuit. I get a good workout, I'm sweating by the time I'm done, and my hearts racing.

It's true, I'd feel uncomfortable in a normal gym with guys and skinny girls. At curves we're all a little overweight and working to get fit, and it's so comfortable. Yeah, I'd probably quit too once I hit my goal, but for now I think it's really a good place. Plus, I really *did* lose 20lbs last year with them, and I was eating McDonalds at least 3 times a week (I worked there and it was free).

As long as you go 3 or more times a week (I was doing 5 times that time) you might see results, especially if you cut out the bad food.
Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #10  

Height: 5.6

Hi! I am a member of Curves and really do enjoy it. Curves has been a huge help to me. I don't use their diet products although several women at the one that I attend have said that the diet program really helped them shed the pounds (they have all "shrunk" quite nicely). IMO - if it is not completely out of your way and it is not going to hammer your budget, then yeah - Curves is a good idea - especially if you don't feel comfortable going to a regular gym. I honestly don't think that I will continue going to Curves forever, now I split my workouts between the gym at work and Curves... but Curves has definitely helped me get started on my path.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 AM   #11  

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I might look into it. My grandma maybe willing to help me out with the money part of it, at least for a little while.. The thing is, I don't feel comfortable going to a regular gym, and the only "regular gym" around here is just as far a drive as it is for curves. I may stop there and get some info tomorrow just to see....
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 AM   #12  
Starting is half the task

S/C/G: 330/ticker/160

Height: 5'10

honesty, I go to a Bally's and like it much better than curves. The quality and sheer amount of machines is so much better. I dont worry about being surrounded by so called skinny people. for the most part there are MANY that want to lose weight, and if someone was going to say something bad about me it wouldnt matter if I was at a gym or not. Those people are everywhere.
Cokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I went to Curves last year and decided not to extend my membership another year.While I did tone up,after the first few months of going I was bored of the repetition.Make sure the center your checking out has fun chellenges and activities to keep you motivated to continue going...some do weekly things and just make over all going fun,while others sadly don't.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #14  

I have been going to Curves for (I am guessing) around four months now. I have lost some weight, but I didn't lose until I started also eating different. Curves has two diet plans in their workbook, I think one is low calorie and one is low carbohydrate.

I also have a membership to 24 Hour Fitness, but it has proven to be too much of a time commitment for me to go there since we moved and it is 30 minutes each way. Curves is about 1.75 miles from home.

I don't mind going to a regular gym, even as a large person. I don't think anyone looks at me except occasionally with something I like to translate as approval for actually working out. One time someone actually gave me a thumbs up.

What I like about Curves is that there is a routine that forces me to work out all the muscles. When I go to the regular gym, I just do the cardio because I want to burn the most calories in the least time so I can go home.

At our Curves, they do not want you to go over 85% of the maximum heart rate for your age, because then you start burning muscle (their statement, not mine). Our Curves also has some very fit people, I didn't expect to see them there. They look like "serious gym" types.

There are a few people members of the location I go to who have done wonderfully, their pictures and story are posted as inspiration (and I am sure as enticement for those looking to join!).

The management tries to mix it up a little. Sometimes they move all the machines around, or sometimes switch the direction. It is pretty much the same every time you go, so it can be boring. At least there are other people to talk to and a one on one relationship with the staff.

Try it, and see if they have a cancellation clause that is acceptable for you.

Perhaps they have a discount that you can apply, like student or a deal with your employer. I saved the initiation fee through work and pay about $35 per month. I go at least three times a week, my doctor said to work out at least five times a week and that Curves would be acceptable as a daily workout and to keep it up.
Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: tight 26/26/14

I thought about curves, but ended up spending the cash on a family membership to the community center. They have a great workout room, indoor track and the kids can swim while I exercise. At least that's how it's been for the past 3 days since I joined.

I have friends who LOVE Curves and have toned quite a bit since starting. I have friends who LOVE thier Gold's/24 Hour/etc membership and use it all the time. I also have friends who have memberships to Curves and others but never use them. I think the key is finding one that works for you. If Curves is close to you and fits into your schedule then it may be worth the money. If you have to force yourself to find time, then maybe another place is better.
balloonlady is offline   Reply With Quote