Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/250/165

Height: 5.9

Default Counting Calories

Hello to all
I am counting calories. and this time seems to be working. My intake is set at 1600 a day, anyone else counting calories and what is your intake allowance?
dnr79065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am a calorie counter, too as are many on these forums, I usually eat between 1200-1300 calories a day,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

First, welcome to 3fc!!!!

I calorie count too, but how much people eat is really variable. People who weigh a lot more need more calories just to survive. Metabolisms vary, and that affects calorie intake. People who exercise a lot may need to eat more too. And some people want to lose faster than others. So, I'm not sure you'll get the kind of info you're looking for from such a broad question.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi and welcome.

I'll ditto what Wyllen said as to the difference between peoples calorie intakes.

But, yes I am a calorie counter too. For ME, it's the most logical and doable way to lose weight and then maintain that loss. I need to set limits for myself even though I eat very healthy foods (they add up too). Calorie counting holds me accountable for everything I put in my mouth.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I am a calorie counter. I generallly eat right at about 1200 calories a day. That seems to take off about a pound a week. I also try to excersize 3 days a week. I take an ultra do-all cardio class that also uses weights. I love calorie counting because it really is the simplest way to know what i'm eating.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #6  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

Hello!
I started with WW and counting points. I found counting calories much easier, so I switched. With my height, weight and activity level, I stay in between 1600 and 1900 calories. If I try to stay at 1400 or lower, I am too hungry. I am losing 1-2 pounds a week and am pleased with my progress.
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #7  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi, I am a calorie counter also. I have read when you are beginning this you will need to eat more calories( depending on how much you way), and as you lose weight you eat less calories. Do I follow this no, I am sorry to say. I was supposed to eat something like 1800 calories a day when I began, I just couldn't do that, I eat somewhere between 1400-1700 calories a day,and like robin I eat low calorie meals and snacks. Recently I have been trying to eat more protein each day( a hard thing for a person who does not eat red meat or poultry), and it does give me more energy, and fills me up some. I don't know if I could ever get down to less then 1400 calories a day, I just like food too much, whether it be fruit, or salads, because twice I was down to 1375 calories and felt horrible.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #8  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

At my weight and activity level, I find I can eat between 1800 and 2020 calories and lose about a pound a week (for right now). I'm eating usually towards the top of my goals right now, and once I lose about 10 pounds, I'm going to have to drop down to the lower end before really dropping total calories in to a new bracket (like 1600-1800).

It really does vary. The thing is, you shouldn't be STARVING by each meal (though you will most likely be hungry), and you should have a good balance of good carbs (whole grains and as few wite carbs as possible)/proteins/fats. If you're not ever hungry, you might be eating too much, and if you hit that stage where you're irritable and don't feel good, then quite likely you're eating too few calories for your needs.

I count calories because it's simply the easiest thing to do.

Lynn
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #9  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

hi...I am OLD SCHOOL when it comes to weight loss...I am a Pritikin believer and I DO count calories...I TRY to stay at about 1300 ...that allows me 4 small meals and a 100 cal snack....sometimes I am closer to 1400 or 1500...trying to work it down...

I am using "The Calorie King" food and exercise journal...it takes some practice...but I am getting better at it...

being aware of what you are eating is really key....some people say "I don't know why I'm overweight, I don't eat that much!" ...really I think we eat alot unconsciously and aren't even aware of how much we are really eating...

it is AMAZING how much you can eat on Pritikin for 1200 or 1300 calories....

tons of veggies...which I have discovered, are quite yummy....(no, really....THEY ARE!!)

I have a terrible sweet tooth,so I make use of every (healthyish) product that comes out that has little or no calories....

IE:

tofu shirataki noodles
walden farms caramel (I make a killer dulce de leche protein shake for 160 calories)
laughing cow cheese
Instone pudding
cool whip free

and I make use of whey protein...it is a lifesaver....I have some favorites that I will never be without...even when I am thin....
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I stick around 1600 on days when I do 60 min of cardio, but try to stay slightly below on days when I'm less active.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #11  
Chubby vegan :\

Height: 5'9"

Good question! I'd been sailing along at 2,000+ calories a day with basically no exercise and losing about 3.5 lbs per week for about 8 weeks, then it seemed to all come to a screeching halt! I have to agree with Robin and Wyllenn (our tried and true weight loss veterans ) that calorie levels are a very individual thing with MANY factors involved! In my case, I decided to start delaying my breakfast and "save up" calories for dinner over the past couple weeks, which is when the scale pretty much stopped moving. Even though my total calories hadn't changed, I'm beginning to finally believe that how you spread those calories out over your day (and what you "spend" them on) really affects your weight loss. I don't think I would have ever believed that if I didn't prove it to myself. Starting today, I ate my bowl of Kashi at 6:30 am, rather than delaying breakfast several hours after waking and eating a heavy dinner. Hopefully the scale will start moving again!

Last edited by Christine in CA; 06-14-2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Christine in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #12  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I'm a calorie counter also, but I agree with the others - it's all depends on the individuals metabolism, how your calories are spent and how much exercise you're doing. I set my calorie range between 1200-1500 with most days being at the 1200 range. I get in at least 5 servings of veggies and 2 fruits each day and I make sure I eat some type of protein at least 2 or 3 times per day. But I also allow myself treats - I try to keep it at or under the 100 calorie mark, but normally I don't beat myself up if it's a little more. I was working out for an hour a day, but I've bumped it up to 2 hours a day now that I've joined a gym. I can't say that I'm losing fast (a good week would show me with a 2 lb. loss, but most weeks it's 1 lb or less), but I'm losing and in the end I guess that is what matters.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #13  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I was a calorie counter last year. I may go back to it, because it is a "doable" thing for me. My problem is though, it took me a WHOLE year to lose 30 pounds. To me that just seems slow, but I am starting to believe that I was restricting myself to much. I was exercising all most everyday, and only trying to stay between 1200-1400 a day. I think that really slowed the progress I could have made. So this time around, I am trying to drink water all day long, and also to ask myself if I am really hungry or bored? And if I am hungry I eat. But like I said, I may go back to counting calories again. I just want to see what happens with this "test".

Tami
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Number cruncher here too. It's just the best way for me. I do 1800 calories a day. Then I have one day a week that I go over.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/250/165

Height: 5.9

I allow myself 1600 calories a day. And so far I have lost pretty fastwhich will probably come down to a slow trickle soon. I have totally cut out all fast food restaurants, and sodas including diet. I loved mountain dew. I drink water all day now and maybe I'll step out a grab an ice cold unsweetened tea. I eat a small breakfast then a small lunch and then dinner and a treat. Usually one of those quaker 90 calories mini chocolate covered rice cakes. (there good!) I will substitute a meal with a 190 calorie special K protein bar "usually lunch" because I do not eat allot of meat. I do have a slow metabolism taking thyroid meds. but I am determined this time I figure if I can quit smoking then I can loose this weight.
dnr79065 is offline   Reply With Quote