Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #1  

Default evening hunger..HELP!

Hi,

This time of day (after seven pm) is the worst for me. I stay on plan all day, and then I get really hungry at night. I am eating enough calories during the day (believe me!) I keep craving one of my comfort foods-toasted cinnamon bread with peanut butter. I gave in last night, and I don't want to do it again tonight. I know there are worse foods I could eat, but I don't need the extra calories.

Can anyone suggest a small but filling healthy snack. I don't want to eat a ton of calories because I have no hope of burning anything off now.

I can't honestly tell if this is REALLY physical hunger or some kind of emotional hunger.

Anyone else have trouble at night? I can do great all day but somehow the night is the hardest.

Thanks!
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #2  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I also am "hungry" in the evening...although I've been hungry (rumbly tummy hunger) all day today! I like to eat 1/2 a banana with some PB on it. Or apple slices with PB.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #3  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

A bran crispbread cracker with some Laughing Cow Lite Cheese is about 50 calories and is very filling. I have one if I get the grumblies in the evening.
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I have the same evening problem so I've just had to set a time limit. I absolutely do NOT eat past 7:00....period. That eliminates any quandry about what to eat...how much to eat...am I really hungry...etc... I figure the times I really and truly am hungry I can just survive...but I don't think they are in the majority. I always have something really small (like a fruit pop, fudge pop, jello, piece of fruit, etc.) at around 6:30-6:45...and that ends my eating for the day. I go brush my teeth and call it quits. If the "hunger" gets too bad...I just go to bed early...I don't notice hunger when I'm asleep.

Good luck!

As for light snacks...how about a little popcorn? 1 cup of air-popped is 15 calories.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #5  

Height: 5.6

I like celery with peanut butter and just one small piece usually fixes me right up.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #6  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

Evenings are bad for me too. I like to get 1 graham cracker, break it into 4 pieces, spread a little peanut butter on each piece and top with a little banana. Sitting down and enjoying all 4 pieces seems to fill me up. If you really don't want any extra calories, have you thought about making a cup of hot tea? Sometimes going through the motions of making something is soothing. If I am really craving chocolate, I eat a WW giant fudge ice cream bar, its only 1 point and I eat it slowly.
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #7  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I'm like Tricia - after 7:30 I stop eating. Most of the time I just want to chew on something so I usually keep a piece of gum with me. If that doesn't work I drink more water. And if that still doesn't work...I go to bed!

But if I had to have something I would stick with something like SF Jello or some type of low calorie veggie that really crunches!
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #8  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Evenings are bad for me, too. I also have set myself a time limit of when to quit eating. But, I do the gum trick and water. Usually, however, I just deal with the rumbling and tell myself tomorrow comes soon enough when I will be able to eat my healthy and hearty breakfast again!

Hope you get through this okay.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #9  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

If I'm hungry and still have points available I eat what I want. If I'm low on points and am really hungry, I'll often have some egg whites with some sort of veggies grilled up inside - it's usually what I need to get me through the night.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:13 AM   #10  

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm afraid I did give in to the toast and peanut butter craving. Hopefully tonight will go better. I think popcorn is a good idea-I'm looking for something that feels like I'm eating a lot, but isn't a lot of calories.

Take care,
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #11  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Oatmeal and peaches Frozen, with a little honey tastes like peach cobbler made thick
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I go for popcorn generally, or like another posted suggested, make a cup of tea. More than anything though, I've just gotten into the habit of NOT eating at night. It took a while, but now it's pretty easy for me to eat dinner at 5:30 or 6 pm and then not eat again until the next morning - this is how I usually plan my calories as well. Sometimes my tummy starts bugging me, and this is going to sound weird, but I say out loud "Forget it you've had enough!" and it usually works.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I make a cup of flavored hot green tea and add a tablespoon of benefiber to it. Nice and warm and filling, only 20 calories.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

One thing you might consider is what you're eating throughout the day and how often. If you eat lots of protein, fiber, fruits, and veggies, you might find that those nighttime cravings stop or at least that you're not physically hungry, but eating just out of habit. I have a cut-off time for eating, too, but it hasn't been an issue because I'm pretty darn full by the end of the day. I really hate to be hungry (sets me up to eat badly) so I pretty much eat by schedule.

My last meal of the day is 1/4 c ff cottage cheese, 1/2 c blueberries, and .25 oz of walnuts sprinkled on top.

Last edited by Sheila53; 04-13-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:22 AM   #15  
someday, we all hope!

S/C/G: 253/185/145

Height: 5'7"

For those of us who simply CANNOT sleep if we're hungry (and I mean try to tough it out, sleepless all night, despite reading boring textbooks in a hot bath, watching boring TV reruns in another language, laying down in darkened peace & quiet, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.,) I have quite different suggestions. Try shifting the day's calories TOWARDS the evening. Then two to four hours before bed, do something lightly aerobic. Walk around the block, or cycle at an easy pace using lowest setting/gear, something like that. Not enough to cause any overnight stiffness, but enough to get the blood moving and get that "refreshed from exercise" feeling (kick the serotonin levels up). Fiddle with the timing for your "evening constitutional" (activity) if you need to, but it really can help later sleepiness, as well as keeping extra weight from accumulating overnight.

I think those of us who are quite sensitive to carbs will find that the more fiber, fruits and vegs (not to mention whole grains) we have in the early part of the day, the HUNGRIER we are at night. The trick is to keep even those "good carbs" to a minimum in the early part of the day! We already have experience with them causing sleepiness anyway, so might as well keep them to the evening. (Of course, the bad carbs make mincemeat of our blood sugar and will backfire if we try to use them to crash, so they're completely out.)

This is especially true for any of us who not only cannot help staying up all night when hungry, but WILL fall asleep within the hour, after that first on-plan morning/ brunch bite we finally allow ourselves. (If you not only fall asleep after eating, but can't be aroused easily, GO TODAY to get your blood sugar checked!)

Keep in mind though that for most of you, bigger (on-plan!) meals = more energy, and not sleepiness! If that's the case, just ignore my advice, as it probably won't fit you at all....
becoming wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote