Old 04-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Default Where would/do you fit the gym in?

I just started a new job that is really going to work out for me but I'm having a hard time figuring out a gym schedule that works for me.

6:30 - wake up, walk the dog & get ready for work
7:20 - leave for work
8:00 - 5:00 - work (with a one hour lunch break)
5:00 - leave for home
5:40 - arrive home
10:00 - bedtime

Ok - maybe I am answering my own question - I know I cannot realistically expect to get up earlier (6:30 is 2.5 hours earlier than my natural set time). Lunch is too long for anything but not long enough for a workout. I work in an industrial area close to a large dump so going for a walk/run would be unpleasant to say the least.

I'm just curious how others add the 1-1.5 hour gym committment in.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When I was single, fitting the gym in was easy. I'd usually go home, eat dinner, rest a little, go to the gym, go home, take a shower and go to sleep.

Now, I do my workouts at home. DH and I tried fitting the gym into our schedules but DH got annoyed with having very little relax time.

Is it possible to go on your lunch break? Or how about on your drive home? (take gym clothes with you)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #3  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

When I was younger, I used to go with my mom to the gym about an hour or two after dinner. It usually wasn't as crowded by that time, so it made going to the gym a lot more comfortable for me. Now, I'm a night owl, and I go to 24 Hour Fitness. Match made in heaven. My bf and I go at around 11 or 11:30 (sometimes later) and finish up usually around 1-ish.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Yeah, I'm a morning person but I also get to work at 7:30 and there's not much earlier I can do without crying.

I tend to do it right after work because it supresses my appetite for dinner and lets me work out any work angst. I'm a late eater though, so that works for me.

Because there are two days a week that I can't make it to the gym (I go to school), I tend to make it up by picking a activity to do on the weekends as well.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #5  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Can you not fit something in before you get home? You could do something straight after work, then get home, eat, relax, be in bed at the time you want? how often do you want to go?
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #6  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm not a morning person myself, so I exercise after work in the evenings. Stopping at the gym on the way home is a great idea. Or even going back out to the gym after dinner.

I've learned a long time ago that if we want something bad enough, we will make it work!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I wake up around 5:00 just so I can work out (at home not at a gym). Personally, it's more important to me than the extra hour sleep, although I go to bed earlier to compensate.

If mornings aren't good for you, it looks like evenings are when you would need to do it. Any conflict with doing it on your way home or even after dinner? I personally couldn't do that, but everyone is different and since you don't think earlier is an option, maybe this would work for you.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I've got a similar schedule, 8:30-5:30, and there's NO POSSIBLE WAY i could get up even five minutes earlier than i do. literally, i've tried and i hit snooze and fall back asleep.

I get home around 6, eat dinner by 7, bs around until I digest, and go to the gym between 7;45 and 8. Come home, shower, and it's almost 10... when I think about it, it sucks, because I don't have much time "for myself" but that's probably why I don't feel the need to sit around and eat all night anymore.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #9  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I get up at 4 to work out, but I work out at home so it's just a matter of falling out of bed, throwing on workout clothes and shoes and just doing it. I leave for work at 6-6:15 and get home between 6-6:30 depending on traffic, fix dinner, eat dinner, if I'm really, really good I'll put in another 30 minutes exercise and I try to get to bed by 10, but usually it's closer to 11.

I have no life.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Holy toledo, Melsfolly! That's insanity!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Some good ideas -- I get what you're saying about not walking near the office, but could you drive to a nearby park or better neighborhood for a brisk walk on nice days???

If you could get in a good 40 min walk a couple of days a week and hit the gym in the evening another couple days a week (and/or weekends) that could be your schedule.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #12  

6:00 - wake up
6:15 - cycle / get bus to station
6:50 - get train to work
8:00 - work
2:00 - train to uni
3:00 - tutes & lectures
6:00 - waiting at station...
6:30 - train home
8:00 - cycle / bus to gym
8:30 - gym
10:00 - cycle / get lift home
10:10 - make lunch, shower, bed

If I want it badly enough, I'll make a way, if I don't, I'll find an excuse.... that's my maxim. Everyone has hectic schedules and many other demands, so I definately believe it's a case of making it a priority, or at least making exercising a firm committment. You don't find excuses not to go to work, or not plan time for doing the bills or grocery shopping, why should looking after your body be any different?

You look like you have time in the evening, it's just a question of prioritising how you spend that time.
senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #13  

I'm a morning exerciser. If I don't do it in the morning, forget it! Lately I have been doing short cardio on my recumbent bike and sometimes some yoga in the evening. My husband works nights and we have a seven year old son, so a gym memberhsip is out of the question. I hate exercising in front of other people, anyway.

Can you exercise at home in the evening? There are tons of videos and dvds available-pick up a few along with a few pairs of weights and maybe a stability ball and you're set. If you can afford it and have the space, maybe buy a treadmill, elliptical or recumbent bike. That would totally cut out travel time to the gym and back.

HTH-
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the input everyone. It is comforting to see others schedules leave little "me" time as well when you fit in the workout. But I guess that is just a matter of reshaping things in my mind & making my workouts "me" time.

I've got the flu - blah! So I'll have to get started at it later in the week or next week.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #15  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Hope you feel better!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote