Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #1  

Default Read any good books lately?

Hi,

Anyone other readers here? (Hi, Sheila!) I'm currently reading "The Perfect Fit" by Louise Kean. It is about a British woman who has lost 90 lbs, and is adjusting to life in her smaller body. It is fiction, not a memoir/biography. I'm not that far into it yet, though.

I also checked out "Life is Hard, Food Is Easy" by Linda Spangle from my library.

I'm waiting for my library reserves for the newest Maeve Binchy, and Susan Wittig Albert, and for Susannah's Garden by Debbie Macomber.

Enjoy-
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #2  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I just read "If not dieting...then what?" and I really enjoyed it ~ it gave me some GREAT things to think about!

I'm also reading "10 Diet mistakes that women make" and a friend just sent me "YOU: on a diet". I may be obsessed but I'm really enjoying reading this stuff and getting things to really think about!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I love reading. Mostly fiction.

Lately, I read "The Glass Castle"...very good read! Also, I read "March" - which is about the father from Little Women, it was really good too. I'm sorry, I can't remember the authors I am so bad for that!

Also I'm reading a non-fiction, "Paris 1919" which discusses the 6 months following WW1 which helped to shape where we are today in the world and all the decisions the leaders made at that time - it's very interesting, I am only a little way into it though.

No weight loss books though!! Maybe I should pick up a couple of those!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Just finished Love and Lies by Kimberla Lawson Roby over Friday. Then read Second Sight by Amanda Quick. Now reading Birthday Party Murder by Leslie Meier. I go through different phases of reading. Right now I'm on my fluff reading - nothing too heavy or time consuming - usually cozy light mysteries.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #5  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Superfoods RX because of the recommendations on this site. I loved it and it has really changed my eating! Thanks to all who recommended it!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #6  

Tammy,

I like Leslie Meier, too! I just finished her newest-I think it was called "Bake Sale Murder." If you like other light mysteries, try Joanne Fluke. The only thing is that the main character owns a bakery, so you have to read about delicious food through the book! I think there are six or seven in the series so far. Other mystery authors I like are Ellen Hart, Susan Wittig Albert, Sandra Scoppettone, Wendy Corsi Staub etc.

Sherry
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I LOVE to read!!! I usually have 3-4 books going at once...and I NEVER leave the house without one in my purse (in case of traffic or waiting in line, et...)

The last few great ones I've read have been:

nonfiction -
"The Wal-Mart Effect" by Charles Fishman
"The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama
"John Adams" by David McCullough
"The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne

fiction -
"The Kite Runner" by (too lazy to look up the author...but I highly recommend the book)
"To Dance with the White Dog" by Terry Kay

Am currently reading:

non-fiction/ "When I Lay My Isaac Down" by Carol Kent and "Get Out of that Pit" by Beth Moore

fiction/ "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" by Kate Atkinson

I know this doesn't really fit in with 100 lb weight forum but I would LOVE to share book recommendations with anyone!!!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #8  

Yay, the library called-the new Jodi Picoult called 19 minutes that I had on reserve is in! Any other fans of hers? She's from my home state of NJ, (I think..) and did a book signing a few weeks ago. I couldn't make it, though.

Tricia, I buy my purses based on whether or not they have room to fit a book! I also read something by Kate Atkinson...I can't remember the name.

Does anyone mind if we have a thread with book recommendations? Reading is my passion!

some good ones I have read recently:

-The Kindness of Strangers-Katrina Kittle
-the "Sweet Magnolias" series by Sheryl Woods-trilogy of three books about three women friends set in a small town in the south

I'll think of more later-
Sherry

Sherry
Old 04-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I had a love/hate relationship with Kite Runner. I spent almost the entire book hating the main character, yet I couldn't put the book down.

I just read one by Carolyn Hart (the Death on Demand series) that was in the new section at the library. Can't remember the name, though. Also read a new one by Marcia Muller. Have you read her, Sherry?

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi ladies, Oh I love the Joanne Fluke series. I like all of the culinary mysteries that I have read! I also like Carolyn Hart, both the Death on Demand series and the Henrie O. series. And Suzie, I also enjoy the Stephanie Plum books that are set in NJ.

Another fun mystery series that is set in my home state is by Carolyn Haines - the Bones series. The latest one was called Bones to Pick. I've read some Susan Wittig Albert I think, isn't her character an herbalist or something like that?

Off to my libraries website to see if they have some of the titles you all have suggested.

So many books, so little time....
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #11  
Chubby vegan :\

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

I certainly don’t mind having a book thread in this forum!

I had to force myself to read The Kite Runner because I tend to like to keep things light and fun (like the Shopaholic series ) but I have to say once I picked it up, it was pretty hard to put down!

I know this is an older one, but I recently finished She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I still can’t get over the fact that this author is a man in the beautiful way he captures the emotions of a girl/adolescent/woman. Very good book.

Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd is another great one if anyone hasn’t had a chance read it.

Jennifer Weiner (Good In Bed, In Her Shoes, Little Earthquakes, Goodnight Nobody) is an author I really enjoy. Her characters are so relatable, especially to those of us struggling with weight issues.

I've been trying to take a break from self help/weight loss books for the past few years though I do have Life Is Hard Food Is Easy, which is a great book!

I’m not a huge reader, but am always disappointed by books I pick without a recommendation, so I’m glad Suzie started this thread!

Christine
Christine in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #12  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

I love to read! I'll have to check the local library for some of these books. I've been in a sappy mood and have been reading Nora Roberts. I just started her new one, Angels Fall. I just love a good love story!
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #13  

Tammy,

I live ten minutes from the town where the Stephanie Plum books are set-and I've never read any of them! I keep meaning to start the series, though.

I also recently finished "the Tavern on Maple Street" by Sharon Owens. I love books that are set in Ireland.

Sherry
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #14  

Sheila,

I haven't read Marcia Muller yet.

Sherry
Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #15  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

Default :)

This is so great! I used to work at a bookstore just so I could supply my reading habit. I just finished Eldest, the book that comes after Eragon. I had to read it, because hubby and I read the first one and saw the movie. I also love Harry Potter, but those two are the extent of my young adult reading, lol.

I also just finished re-reading Diana Gabaldon's Breath of Snow and Ashes. It was great.

Good in Bed and Goodnight Nobody were excellent. Kite Runner, I haven't read, although I should, because I've sold many a copy of it. I could go on all day with books that I've read, but I'll just wait and see what all of you recommend, and go grab those. Of course, reading contributes to my weight problem, lol. If I get into a good book, I don't put it down until I'm done.
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote