Fibre One?

• I bought a box of Fibre One on the w/e - and I love it! A question for you all though, my box says 1/2 cup has 100 cals, but when I entered all the info on Fitday, it says that it SHOULD have about 57 calories, based on all the other info (carbs, fat, etc.). Should I believe Fitday or the side of the box do you think? I've heard others talk about Fibre One and I'm sure that someone said it was 60 cals for 1/2 cup, so I was confused when it said 100 cals. I'm in Canada, but I'm pretty sure a calorie is a calorie!

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this, I know it's not a huge deal but I like to know the proper numbers to be counting, kwim?
  • Although I don't have a box in front of me, mine says 60. But I have heard another Canadian had the same descrepancy as you. I would call General Mills. I'm sure the phone # is on the box. That would really bug me.
  • Believe the box.

I'm wondering if you bought a different "variety" of Fiber One...like with clusters or something? My 60 calorie FiberOne looks like little twigs....
  • Robin - Thanks! I think I will call their 800 number and make sure - I'm glad that I'm not the only one that this would bother!! If the numbers added up and Fitday didn't give me an error, I would just enter it and assume it's slightly different then the US version, but because it didn't it bugs me.

royalfan - I saw the honey clusters one, but I bought the regular one (DH was like - why didn't you get the honey clusters one?? ) It does look like little twigs.
  • I just had another thought. I'm pretty sure aspartame is not used in Europe. Is Canada the same way? My FiberOne has aspartame in it. Maybe if Canada doesn't use it then they had to go with a sweetener with calories...brown sugar, honey, sugar, etc.... Just a thought...
  • Aspartame is in regular use here...thanks for thinking about this further though!! I wish I had brought the box with me now though to work so I could check to make sure!! LOL I'll check when I get home.
  • hahaha

Ok, I'm all out of ideas! Let us know what you find out! I'm ultra-curious!
  • Not really a mystery . . . In Canada, the nutrition panel lists the TOTAL calories (including those in the fibre, which isn't really digested). In the US . . . and on FitDay . . . they list the NET calories (after deducting the fibre). It is the same cereal and it has the same ingredients . . . Hope that helps.
  • meowee - Thanks!! I wonder why I've never run into this before...everything I've entered into Fitday as a custom food has never given me an error. I guess I've never entered anything with quite as much fibre before!