Old 04-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #1  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Default How did you choose your calorie maximums?

Hi 3FC Friends! This is the first chance I've had since Friday to sign on and touch base. After a whirlwind weekend of final preparation...and 4 hours of sleep last night we signed the paperwork and there is now a For Sale sign in our front yard. Now, we wait and hope for the best. No, the stressful times aren't over, but I do feel like a major load has been removed from my shoulders! So, I'm ready to start fresh on my healthy diet/exercise/lifestyle. Today was my weigh-in, but I forgot to weigh! Not that I'm expecting anything miraculous like a loss. I've been so far off plan that I'm surprised I can find my way back! But, I will weigh in tomorrow and I will track it on my ticker.

Here's my question....I still plan on doing Southbeach, however, I'd also like to track my calorie consumption so I can provide myself with the biggest opportunity to lose the weight at the quickest healthy speed possible. But, how do I determine what my calorie goal should be? You would think I'd know answer to this one by now! But, I've never tracked my calories.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I really suggest by tracking your calories for a while and see where you land. A general rule of thumb is somewhere between 1200-2000 calories. I would say everyone is different though so you have to figure out the best place for you and that is basically through trial and error. I don't count calories often but when I do, I want to land somewhere around 1500 calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #3  

I figured out my basal metabolic rate using websites - all of them are very different and take into account many different things, and then used that as a starting point. I only made adjustments when the weight was no longer coming off. You can do a google search and find more sites than just these too:

There are several websites that you can use to calculate your RMR (resting metabolic rate). or BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)
http://health.discovery.com/tools/ca...sal/basal.html
- http://www.calorieking.com/tools/weight_maintenance.php
- http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/calories-goal.php
http://preventdisease.com/healthtools/articles/bmr.html

Another great place and organization that helps explain this, and other tools:
www.shapeup.org
YuppieGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Rhonda, that is very exciting. And oh yes, so very stressful. I hope everything goes very smoothly for you.

The best way to know how many calories to eat in order to get a loss is through trial and error. You need to pick a number, see if you are satisfied with eating that amount, and see if you are getting a weightloss. According to a standard calculator, which I despise quite frankly, you times your weight by 7, which brings you to 1700 calories. You can start at that and then adjust accordingly. You're a smart lady, you'll get the hang of it I have no doubt.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #5  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

The following is what I have based my calorie intake on (note these numbers are what you would need to take in to MAINTAIN your current weight. See note below about calories in a lb):

For sedentary people: Weight x 14 = estimated cal/day

For moderately active people: Weight x 17 = estimated cal/day

For active people: Weight x 20 = estimated cal/day

Note: Moderately Active is defined as 3-4 aerobic sessions per week. Active is defined as 5-7 aerobic sessions per week.

Since there are 3500 calories in 1 lb. of body fat, reduce your WEEKLY intake by 3500 calories to see a 1-lb loss. Multiply that times 2 if you want 2-lb loss per week. More of a loss per week than 2 lbs is usually not recommended.

Of course, I agree with Robin! You will need to adjust according to you! Nothing is cut and dried when it comes to individual humans.

You can do it, Rhonda! We know you will!! Here is a cheer for Rhonda!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #6  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I also checked several websites with calorie calculators and once I had their number range I started out at the high end of the ranges and then worked my way down until I found the what worked for me. I actually had to go below the recommended level to lose, but no matter how slow I lose I refuse to consciously go below 1200 calories.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #7  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

LOL, we have all found methods that work, which shows that there are many paths we can take to get to where we want to be.

I use the method described in Tom Venuto's book Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. I find my BMR based on my LBM (since you know your body fat %, you can easily get to your LBM). There is a BMR formula known as the Katch-McArdle formula that is based on LBM. From that you factor your activity level to find how many calories you burn in a day. He suggests reducing that number by 25 - 30% for fat loss. So I'm at about 1700 calories a day. He advocated weight loss mainly through exercise, while eating enough calories to sustain your daily needs (hence the title).

Whatever method you choose, just tweak it until you get it right!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

hi Rhonda! It's a stressful time, but oh so exciting! Keep us posted on the goings on!

I agree with everyone else. Start with one of the formulas and tweak it. I actually just chose a somewhat random number, based on what I figured I'd been eating before consciously trying to lose weight. Ultimately I ended up around 1400-1600 though, I was eating a little bit too much when I started.. but it ended up being fine easing my way into it. i know it's a pain in the butt to do the trial and error thing but it's so worth it.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #9  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzyFritz View Post
The following is what I have based my calorie intake on (note these numbers are what you would need to take in to MAINTAIN your current weight. See note below about calories in a lb):

For sedentary people: Weight x 14 = estimated cal/day

For moderately active people: Weight x 17 = estimated cal/day

For active people: Weight x 20 = estimated cal/day

Note: Moderately Active is defined as 3-4 aerobic sessions per week. Active is defined as 5-7 aerobic sessions per week.

Since there are 3500 calories in 1 lb. of body fat, reduce your WEEKLY intake by 3500 calories to see a 1-lb loss. Multiply that times 2 if you want 2-lb loss per week. More of a loss per week than 2 lbs is usually not recommended.

Of course, I agree with Robin! You will need to adjust according to you! Nothing is cut and dried when it comes to individual humans.

You can do it, Rhonda! We know you will!! Here is a cheer for Rhonda!

I tried this when I first started - it's a good place to start For me it was way too many calories. To maintain I was over 3000 calories! wow.. just think of all those chocolate bunnies! Maybe that formula makes more sense for people overweight... not obese?

Again, Rhonda... like others have said.. it's trail and error. I give myself a range on fitday. I like a range because then I don't feel like I failed if I had a 1900 calorie day. I might have those high days only 1-2 times a week - but I mentally need to know that it's okay and that I haven't failed.

I like to look at my averages over a week and over a month. My averages end up around 1700 calories over time. I've been losing slowly... but I'm okay with that. I don't care how long this takes me. My number rule is that I can never quit. I can take a break - but I can never quit. That has changed everything for me.

I want to see you lose Rhonda - but also be happy with the amount of calories you eat. Only you can decide this. It' about balance - and WILL change all the time. Listen to your body and watch your scale.

Sorry there is no easy answer here.

We are here for you!!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah my formula says 4350 calories to maintain. Uhh yeah right.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #11  

Height: 5.6

My formula says to maintain I need more than 5000 calories.... YEESH!

Sometimes it is hard to believe how much I was taking in at one time.

I honestly just figured out how much I was eating and just cut about 800 calories a day to see how it worked for me.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote