Question about Yoga

• Ok, so yesterday I did a Yoga video for the very first time in my life! Then I went to log it on mydailyplate and found that according to them I had burned a little over 300 calories in 30 minutes. That seemed like a LOT! I did sweat, but I wasn't breathing heavy or anything. So, does yogo burn a lot of calories without all the out-of-breath thing going on? I'm so new to it I'm really not sure how it's supposed to work...or if I was doing it right....or if I was totally screwing it up! haha

(PS>..I am pretty darn sore today in my upper arms, thighs, and buttocks!)
  • Hi Tricia!

Oh, YES! Yoga DOES burn calories! Also it is FABULOUS for flexibility and a wonderful way to keep you in shape for EVERYTHING else that you do! The first time I used a yoga DVD I coulkdn't believe how difficult it was to HOLD A POSE! It really uses muscles to do that!

I hope you are enjoying yoga! It has made a wonderful difference in my life!

Cheryl
  • Great, thanks Cheryl! I feel better, now!
  • I agree, yoga does burn a lot of calories, but I find that the online calorie calculators can overestimate your calorie burn. Well, at least they did for me. In comparison with my heart rate monitor, the online calculators were over by 150 - 200% in some cases. So that could be it as well.

But I'm glad you enjoyed your yoga!
  • Tricia, did you enjoy it?? I got my dvd yesterday that I got off Amazon but haven't tried it yet!
  • Tricia, do share your thoughts on the yoga that you've done! I've been contemplating giving it a whirl, but haven't stepped up to the plate yet. I think I'm in my comfort zone with walking and the elliptical, and just haven't ventured too far away from that stuff!