Old 03-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #1  

Height: 5.6

Default Why bother? (Warning whine/rant/pout)

Okay - so I went to the doctor today for some of my final results.....

So the results were not that good and it looks like they found a new problem. I spent the afternoon wondering why the h3!! should I bother?!

I have spent the last several months changing EVERYTHING about my life. I am talking 360 degree turnaround and with the exception of getting my sugar under control and bringing my cholesterol down. (Thought my blood pressure was better until they took me off of one of my meds and it was back up to 189/119)

I am really trying to stay committed and to keep my chin up but part of me is really asking why bother?

It looks like I am facing "long-term kidney damage", tomorrow I have to go get my lung x-rayed again because of something found on the first set. They are having me try out some new meds that won't be so hard on my kidney's but there is a good possibility they won't work on me. But, I did find out that because they were changing my meds and blood pressure has been up so high - I am retaining a lot of fluids (she was talking pounds of fluids) - so once they get things straightened out - I should start losing real weight - instead of ounces at a time. I guess that is one good thing out the appointment.

I know the only real answer is to suck it up, stay with it - every cloud has a silver lining, this too shall pass.

But, to be honest - for all of my keep stiff upper lip cheerfulness, right now - it seems that someone has stolen my happy place.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #2  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Penney: I know there are no words that are truly appropriate from someone that doesn't have the same issues you are facing. However, I wanted to tell you that you are in my thoughts and prayers, as I know all this can be really tough and frustrating. The only thing I thought of while reading your post is maybe this change of lifestyle has helped more than you know! What if you had NOT changed your lifestyle? Would the results be coming back far worse? Just a thought. I truly hope you find good help and good health! Please do keep us posted, and don't get discouraged! Please keep doing what you know is good for your health! It can only have good effects on an otherwise bleak picture. I'm glad you came here to sound off! This is a wonderful place, and I'm sure you will receive a lot of great support.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Penney I am so sorry for your doctor's visit results. Ritzyfritz has the right idea though. I mean imagine how worse off you just might be had you not changed your lifestyle? I really can see where you would be terribly frustrated and I feel for you so very much. But please keep up with all the changes you have implemented. They can only lead to good. Hang in there, listen to your doctor and keep up with the healthy living. Hopefully good news is right around the corner.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #4  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Penney!

Here's a big hug for you!

It will all work out OK! You are having a lot coming at you at one time, and trying to lose weight is hard enough without medical problems added to it! BREATHE!!! Be kind to yourself and take it easy. Take one thing at a time and be patient with yourself.

We are here for you!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Although you've spent the last several months turning your life around, there's a lot of years before this 360 turn. You've got to give yourself (and your body) time to react to the benefits. Don't expect so much - I know that's hard! When I go on a diet, I think I should drop 10 pounds just for my good intentions!

Yes, it's discouraging. Yep, it sucks. But yes, you'll suck it up. You've got to because you've got so much to gain by putting yourself and your health first!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #6  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Default Big, Big Hugs Penney!!!!

I am so very sorry you are going through such a rough time with your health. It is frustrating when you are working so hard and don't seem to make a lot of headway. However, I agree with RitzyFritz. Imagine if you had not been on plan. Things could even be worse. And now more than ever your body needs the most nutricious food you can put in it. You can do this. Give yourself a few hours to rant and whine and then pick yourself up and just keep swimming.

I will tell you what I have been doing lately when I get discouraged. I am not sharing it to be preachy. It is just what works for me. I go to some of the sites with stories of kids fighting cancer or other illnesses. When I read their
courage and determination to live and live well, it makes my struggles pale. I know you are facing serious illness, but you can get through this. Take care.
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #7  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Penney... just wanted to give you a as well. I'm sorry you are going through this, but you are right. This will pass, and you will come out on the other side healthier and happier.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #8  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Penney,
Same from me. And ditto to everything that everyone else wrote.
Hang in there! You have a lot to offer! Stay strong and stay healthy.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #9  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I know it sucks that everything isn't great, but you did say your cholesterol went down and you sugar is under control. Those two things right there are proof that this lifestyle is worth sticking too.

I think the longer you do this, the better EVERY part of your body will be.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #10  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Hugs penny, I have been ill for a over a year, and i have not Dated since my divorce 5 years ago, I have sooo many problems at this point stay in the house alot... I know it will get better and your health, might return to normal....keep going girlfriend
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I'm sorry things didn't turn out so great at the doctor's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney View Post
I am really trying to stay committed and to keep my chin up but part of me is really asking why bother?
Because things could have been worse. I know there are still some problems, but eating healthy and exercising will only help improve the situation. Maybe they won't have a direct impact, but the indirect impacts will be tremendous!!

Don't ever give up!!

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Sorry to hear about your doc's visit. I know what it's like to live with kidney damage, it's not fun. Hopefully your follow up visits can help your doctors determine the best course of action for your treatment.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #13  

Height: 5.6

Hi ladies -

I want to say thanks! I read everything on Friday and it helped a lot -but I just could not focus enough to form a reply. I ended up spending the weekend in my yard. I skipped out on Curves and doing exercise at home... But I was sore and am still sore today - so I guess I still got my exercise in I guess... LOL

You are all so right, things could have been much much worse - and who knows - maybe the change in lifestyle is what prevented that.
I have decided that this is NOT fate's way of telling me to just give it up.

I honestly think that after getting so many bad reports everytime I have gone to the doctor that it finally just really really got to me.

So, after much thinking while I was working in the dirt in my yard, I have come up with the reasons as to why I should bother...

Because - there is always hope
Because - I have a wonderful family
Because - I am not normally a quitter - why start now?
Because - as long as I wake up in the morning - I want to move forward and be healthier.
Because - I have you wonderful people here to remind and boot me in bum whenever I forget why I need to bother.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #14  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

You are SO right Penney! There IS always hope...sometimes we just have to look for it a little harder than at other times...but it is ALWAYS there. I hope you find encouragement and strength here on 3FC. Remember you can come here anytime you feel down about any of this; we are here for each other. Take care, and keep us posted!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote