Old 03-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/220/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Questions about Weight Watchers

Hey I was just wondering if any of you had joined weight watchers. I'm thinking about joining because I have the exercise part down its just the eating part i'm having trouble with. I want to know about your experiences and what you think about it. I've never been involved in the group and just wanted some feedback

kanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #2  

I was a WW member for a time, and don't really have any complaints about the program. A lot of what you get out of it will have to do with your leader (some can be incredibly motivating, others not so much!), and the other members. I think the program is good - my personal preference these days would be Core, but I now have a good handle on appropriate portions. Flex is a good way to learn about portions and the real calories in foods - my biggest complaint with Flex is how easy it is for people to eat very poorly (back when I attended meetings, the members spent tons of time comparing point "finds", which were often highly processed, nutritionally void foods, or else "faux foods"....kind of weird concoctions meant to replicate high-points goodies). Provided you work on getting in the recommended fruits, veggies, fats, dairy, etc. this shouldn't be such a problem, as there won't be many points leftover for the junk.

My main reason for leaving was just the resentment I (personally) felt, paying to be part of a program that was still (as most are) just calorie counting at heart. I didn't want to pay WW week after week to help me with something that I firmly believed I should be able to do myself - I know that isn't everyone, though, but it was how I felt. I certainly did learn a lot and came away with knowledge that surely helped me to make a go of things on my own, so I would say it's worth signing up to see what you think.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You might also want to check out the WW forum here on 3FC. There is a lot of information about the program and those who are currently on the program.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #4  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I have tried the WW plan in the past and I absolutely loved it most of the time. But like Susie said
Quote:
what you get out of it will have to do with your leader (some can be incredibly motivating, others not so much!), and the other members
. If you live in an area where you would have access to more than one meeting location or more than one leader in case you wanted to switch you're not as likely to give up on it. If you're the type of person who would just goes in to weigh in each week without bothering to stay for the meeting then you're just going to be wasting your money. I would go sit in on a meeting - unless they've changed, they will let you do that without actually joining. If you like the meeting and you like the leader then you could join (but ask the leader how long she/he has been conducting that meets at that location and time! Too many times I would find a leader that I liked only to come in the next week to another face there in her place, then another face the week after that, etc.)

If you're like me, and you have to have treats every once in a while or there is some item that you feel that you can't just live without even though it's empty calories/points then WW's would be a good choice for you because it lets you work those items in - you just need to make sure you get in your daily food requirements. I can honestly say that I learned something new every week that I went to a meeting.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #5  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I'm using the WW program now, but I do not go to meetings, nor did I join WW online. IMO, everything you need to know is available through the internet.

Sure, I could count calories, but this is working right now and the points are easier for me to think in terms of.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

It has definitely worked for me in the past, but like the others said, it is so different from group to group. Overall, I found it to be a very supportive environment, but this time around I wanted to do my own thing... just a personal preference, plus time constraints and the times of the meetings weren't conducive to my work schedule.

I might be in the minority, but I really wasn't too much of a fan of WW online. I'm not sure why, because the logging bit was excellent, especially compared to fitday.. but I'm a creature of habit and couldn't really get used to it. I think WW is much better in (an ideal) group setting.

It's not that expensive to just try it out a few times, unless it's changed since I was a member which was probably about 2 years ago, you could just pay per session.. no skin off your back if you don't like it.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #7  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I'm a WW member. I joined August 8, 2006, with the intention of just getting the info and going it on my own. I went to that first meeting and was hooked! I love the meetings, and feel they're worth the price for me. The leader I have is very supportive and helpful, and shares as much info with us as she possibly can each and every week. She does share recipes with us frequently as well, though not every week. Most of her recipes are NOT the satisfy your sweet tooth type, they're a new way to maybe fit cauliflower or some other veggie into your life if you haven't found a way you like, etc.

My meetings have a mix of members ranging from about 13 to 75 years old, and just about everyone shares ideas, thoughts, strategies. Even the youngest, a 13 year old girl, has shared how she handles being on plan at school in the cafeteria....you'd be amazed how this all helps you even when you think you have nothing in common with someone.

The meetings are also a huge dose of inspiration for me. Just like on 3fc, everyone there is happy for you and cheering you on and encouraging you along your path. My leader gets so excited over everyone's accomplishments. I never thought I'd be a sucker for those magnets and trinkets for x number of pounds lost, but I am. I look at that 10% keyring every time I get into my car, and it's just a little boost showing me how far I've come, and that I can keep going!

I will tell you the same as some of the others, though. Shop around for a meeting. I got lucky my first time out, but I have attended other meetings a couple times when I just couldn't make it to my regular meeting, and was disappointed with some of the leaders. On the other hand, I found another leader that I really like, and whenever possible I go to BOTH meetings...my regular meeting being Saturday morning, the alternate being Wednesday morning. All the leaders have the same basic info or topic to work with for the week, but just like with these two, they present it in totally different ways putting their own spin on the info. I can go to both meetings and get different things out of each of them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #8  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I also am doing WW. I love it. Like Kelly said I never thought I'd be a sucker for the little trinkets, but I live for 5 lb stickers and I look at my keychain everytime I get in my car, and my 25 lb magnet evertime I get in the fridge and can't wait to get my 50 lb magnet. I love going to the meetings and learning from everyone else's experiences. I love seeing their successes. This past week one of the girls got recognized for losing 125 lbs. As much as I love 3FC, seeing someone in person that has lost a lot of weight makes it easier to relate to rather than just looking at pictures, at least for me. I love being able to share struggles from the week and having lot's of input on how to deal with them if they happen again.

I also tend to do better during the week, knowing that I have to stand on the scale and be accountable to someone other than just me. I hate when I gain and the leaders don't say anything, just write it down. However I also love it when they pat me on the back and say way to go. They're never mean about it when you do gain, they just don't make a big deal out of it. I think the weekly weigh in and meetings are the biggest reason that I've been successful this time. I think that I'll be going to weekly meetings for the rest of my life!!

They do usually let you visit a meeting for free before you decide to join. I would say try it and see how you like it. I know it's not for everyone, but I'm a fan!! It's worth a shot. You wouldn't be out anything.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:34 AM   #9  
missaprylj

I'm doing WW Online... but it's only been 2 weeks, so I can't give a completely accurate critique. I like it though, and I've lost 6lbs.