Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #1  

Default I hate clothes shopping

I know it's miserable for me to find pants that fit but usually finding shirts I like isn't too bad...yesterday I tried on shirts in three different places, and they all looked horrible (yes, I was wearing the correct size, unfortunately!) Guess I'll wait until I've lost five or ten pounds before looking again. I thought my top half didn't look terrible, but I guess I was deluding myself

Just had to vent, thanks...

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #2  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

OK, I can relate to what you're saying. I cannot find a top or shirt that I actually like on my body. How can this be? I mean really, I've lost 70 stupid pounds, shouldn't it be easier by now? Here's my thought process: I weigh less than I did, but apparently I'm WAYYYYYY more critical of what I see now than I was at 246. Hang in there, we'll both find some clothes we like!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #3  

Kelly,

Congrats on your weight loss!!!! Geez, I don't think it's possible for me to be MORE critical of how I look than I am now!

At least the size I am now has a better selection. At my highest weight all the shirts seemed to have these ugly flower patterns on them. Okay, I'm overweight-doesn't mean that I don't have any good taste!

Sherry
Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #4  
Starting Over...again

S/C/G: 210/210/190

Height: 5'9"

I have the same problem with clothes. That's why for now I choose to only wear T-shirts. But that will change. One day I will look good in a button down.
L8again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/200/135

Height: 5'4"

Default more on clothes shopping

Clothes shopping is the worst! And the final straw that broke the camel's back for me. I used to be a nice Size 8 or 10 and now I have to get Size 18 or 1W or 2W and I just about cried a couple weeks ago while shopping for this "new body" I have.
This is my first day on this site and I can't believe the success stories and the support! 70 pounds! Kelly you are amazing!!!
I'm about to leave my house and go for a walk!
Can I join you guys while you lose weight and shop for clothes??
Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #6  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Hey Cleveland! Welcome!

I don't like to shop for clothes, because it's always the same old thing. Sleeves have to be a certain length to hide my upper arm. Shirts have to be long enough to cover my gut. I can't wait until the day I'm able to wear what *I* want to wear!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/200/135

Height: 5'4"

Tiffany! love your Jessica rabbit picture. That is one of my favorite movies. I just came back from my walk. Not sure how far I went but my back is killing me! Too much weight to carry around.
Exercise ticker? How does that work?
Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

I finally like clothes shopping! After spending my entire adult life obese, I finally fit into cute clothes!

A year and a half ago I couldn't even fit the clothes at Lane Bryant stores, which go to 24 (I was a 28 or 30). Now I am too small for LB and shopping everywhere. I have no sense yet of what looks good on me, and shopping takes forever (so many choices), but it's so much more fun!

I think the most depressing time in my weight loss journey was about a year ago. I had lost about 70 pounds and wanted to go shopping. But I still only could fit the clothes at about 2 stores at the mall, it seemed, and was really depressed... I had worked so hard and had so few choices, it seemed!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205.5/158.50/132

Height: 5'7"

I just HAD my big rant about clothes shopping. Lesson #1 (for me) don't go clothes shopping with a group of women...especially if a couple of the women are already skinny and like to shop in the Jrs stores. Blah! But I went clothes shopping with my 17 yr old daughter and she found me 2 cute tops (designer brand) and a pair of shoes. Now I found that designer clothes just plain ol' fit better! My shirts I got at TJ Max. If you have a store like that go there.

Anyhoo...AFTER I remove (with blood sweat and tears) the fat from my body I will ENJOY shopping with those women. I might even get into a smaller size...snicker! (my life goal)
onmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Let me add my welcome to Cleveland! This is a great place.

Now on to clothes. I have never enjoyed shopping for clothes, even in my thinner days. I think it is more of a money issue for me. I just hate spending THAT much money on clothes. I tend to mail order a lot, though. I work in an office and I have to look as professional as possible. The thing is that even though I'm huge, I try to find clothes that look nice. I think that the tendency is to try to buy stuff to cover up everything and that pushes you to baggy clothes. I don't think that baggy equals flattering and I also don't think that you can hide anything that way. Of course, I've seen the other side of it where large women have worn clothes that were really meant for 20 year old skinnies. I don't think that is the way to go either.

Frustrating, isn't it???
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Sherry, so good to see you here!!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #12  

Thanks, Sheila!

I am wearing more fitted shirts, even button down shirts. I spent WAY too long wearing ugly, baggy shirts. I won't do that anymore!

I always go clothes shopping alone. I think the last time I went shopping for clothes in a group was in junior high school!

Thanks for the support-
Sherry

I know I could find really nice things at Kohl's, but money is an issue right now. I have found decent stuff at cheaper stores, but not lately. Walmart has all these baggy shirts in ugly colors, the plus size department at Target is practically non-existent. I used to find things at Ross all the time, but the selection wasn't great this time.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #13  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
Tiffany! love your Jessica rabbit picture. That is one of my favorite movies. I just came back from my walk. Not sure how far I went but my back is killing me! Too much weight to carry around.
Exercise ticker? How does that work?
Thanks! I love Roger Rabbit. I used to have a poster of Jessica where she said, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way!" LOL.

The exercise ticker I got from Ticker Factory. I just update it with my daily exercise minutes. It's very motivating!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:58 PM   #14  
journey girl

S/C/G: 325/323/160

Height: 5'8"

I hate clothes shopping too - does anyone have personal favorite online shopping sites that have worked for them? I've been shopping at Lane Bryant, but don't like any of their stuff this season - except for tops that cut too low for my workplace. I'd love ideas. Thanks!
kaepepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:48 PM   #15  
Pending Email Confirmation

for online shops i love Eddie Bauer's women's clothes mainly. JCPenny is okay too... but I feel like a lot of their stuff is just plain out of style or ugly.

I have had the breakdown in the mall leaving in angry tears situation myself. I believe I was shopping for a dress. It is so hard to be petite and fat. Also no matter how small I've been, once I got boobs I was never able to find a shirt that would button up properly. I have NEVER worn a button up shirt other than my uniform for retail, which I just had to buy super duper big to cover them and have the "short" sleeves come down past my elbows.

another fun thing about being short - capris are highwaters or sometimes just look like normal pants, and regular pants are about a foot too long. Oh so very stylish...
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote