Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/233/137

Height: 5'6"

Question I just joined a gym!

I was reading the directory of my building today and it turns out we have a gym in the basement! I've been working here two months and had no idea. So I've gone and signed up and can start going from Monday, I hope this will really speed my weight loss up.

So here is my question... how many times per week is it best to go to the gym? Should I be aiming for everyday (I can't go on Sunday's as it is closed)?

Thanks!
Lillibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Lillibeth, that definitely varies according to personal preference, ability, and goals. I started by working out just three days a week, and now I do cardio 6 days and strength train at least 2 days as well. I also do yoga on Sundays. Friday is my only complete rest day. For a while, I wasn't doing a rest day at all, but I'm training for a race and my body needs the break.

If you haven't been working out, you may want to work up slowly by doing it 3 or 4 times a week or making your workouts short. Do what feels good. You don't want to burn out by doing too much in the beginning. You want to start out with what feels good so you'll get addicted and WANT to go more.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lisa's answer is excellent (and wow, what progress!!)

Congrats on joining the gym!
I weight train at the gym 3 times a week. I sometimes do my cardio there, but we also have a treadmill in the basement and I like to do things outside when I can. I also do yoga once a week, but that's not at the gym.

It really is about what you want and can do.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Congratulations Lillibeth, and kudos for taking such a brave step! Personally I try to give myself a day or two off from the gym so I don't burn out... it's better to do that than to get frustrated and not go for an entire week, you know? I usually use the elliptical and treadmill maybe 5 times a week and take one or two yoga classes. It all depends on you, reallly- no one can tell you what'll make you successful, it takes some experimentation. If you haven't been to a gym in awhile and if you have the option, I would recommend a few sessions with a trainer who can show you how to use all the equipment and set you up with a routine. Good luck!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #5  

Thank you! I think I'll start out going 3 times a week and see how it goes. The gym is very small (only 55 members) and seems to be unsupervised and empty most of the time. I've joined with a colleague from work so I think we'll be going together, at least at first, and she is very familiar with all the equipment. It is a long time since I've been to a gym!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #6  
Oh buddy, it's on!

Good for you on joining a gym! That's actually what it took to get me motivated to working out. Seriously, if I'm going to be paying for something, I'm going to use it to its full advantage! Have fun!
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #7  

Thank you. I've just been to the shop to get some work out clothes - unfortunately there really aren't any fat people in Belgium (I mean absolutely none over a size 16/18) and so the shops simply don't carry large sizes. I've bought the biggest they had, which is a bit snug, but a definate incentive.

I don't know how the Belgians, and the French for that matter, manage it. They are all really slim but they eat loads of cakes, bread, pastries etc. They must be really good at portion control!