3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Extra Skin (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/107344-extra-skin.html)

cara1980 03-16-2007 08:39 AM

Extra Skin

I have lost 117 lbs total and I have a ton of excess skin. I have been exercising at the gym doing cardio and weight training but I cant really tell a difference. HAs anyone had the problem with excess skin after losing weight and what did you do? Thanks.

RememberHowToSmile 03-16-2007 08:53 AM

First, let me congratulate you on loosing 117 pounds. That is a wonderful thing in itself!!! :cb:

This question comes up a lot actually. Go to the Skin FAQ on the maintainance forum. They share stories about excess skin and surgery to remove it. Meg (the moderator over there) has a great post about it. I don't think you can just exercise a lot and work it off.

Ultimatly it's going to be something you'll have to decide on your own (that is to get it removed or not). I have lost just under 100 pounds and already have a ton of excess skin. I still like 65 to go :( So after reading their thread I've resolved myself to one day I will get the skin removed. But even if I lost all the weight right away I would it done now because I couldn't afford it, I'm young (23) and still would like to have children one day therefore would streach it out again, and I want to keep the weight off for a while before I have it removed. So it just depends on how you feel about it.

Best of luck

SexyRevealed 03-16-2007 09:00 AM

Congrats on your loss! That's awesome!

I fear that I will have this problem, and I've already resigned to the fact that I will definitely have surgery if I do. I'm even saving for it now.

cara1980 03-16-2007 09:40 AM

Thanks, I just joined today so I had no idea where to look. Currently Im 188 and originally my goal was 180 but I dont like the way I currently look so I think Im going to try for 170. It sure it getting very hard though. I was already looking at having a tummy tuck and breast lift but I didnt know if there were other things to try first.

oldwriter 03-17-2007 10:15 AM

I'm 60 and have about 100 to lose yet. I have good insurance but hope to be down to my goal for awhile. I want to get it taken care of before I have to go on medicare at 65. I know they currently pay for it.
I want to be as healthy as possible by then.

MNBlueyes 03-17-2007 07:10 PM

To remember to smile: Thanks for sharing the link on skin. I found it informational.

By the way your numbers are impressive! Keep up the good work.

shrinkingchica 03-18-2007 12:44 PM

Yes, Congrats! :)

But, I am so sorry to inform you that excersize will NOT get rid of extra skin. Only the scapel of a plastic surgeon can do that sweetie. I know, I've been there.
Though, my ps says that in a few years they should have laser treatments out (that you have to get through your ps just like any sugery) that will tighten lose skin (but I don't think he meant to the point where nobody needs tummy tucks anymore....just to make stretch marks smaller).
So, maybe check in about that in 3+ years if the knife is not for you.....I know that I'm going to do both. :)

aliveagain50 03-19-2007 10:33 PM

What does this type of surgery cost.?

cara1980 03-20-2007 08:54 AM

I know in my area a tummy tuck, implants and lipo in 2 areas is $10,000. Some Dr's are cheaper. The one I went to was one a friend of mine used.

boaterswife 03-20-2007 09:31 AM

Oldwriter, I never even considered that insurance might pay for it, that's something to check in on!

SexyRevealed 03-20-2007 10:35 AM

I am trying to save $15,000 - 20,000. I would like to get a lower body lift (which is thighs, butt, tummy), a breast lift and an arm lift.

I will definitely explore ALL insurance options though. Thanks for the tip!

RememberHowToSmile 03-20-2007 07:39 PM

Here is an intersting website if you are considering getting plastic surgery. Apparently the national average for a lower body lift is $7,708. There is also information about finding a surgeon.

kiwichic 03-21-2007 04:07 AM

brilliant for losing the weight , well done. That is a massive feat , you should be very proud of yourself.