Old 03-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #31  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Thumbs up Okay, so it is sleeting and the kids have a snow day.....

And I have not gotten out to get any video yet! Perfect set up for me to say "I'll just have to take the day off." HOWEVER, I was on the phone with my friend and started walking around (and around) my house. I threw the stairs in there a bit and walked for 1 hour! Not exactly as hard as my outdoors walk but I did it 30 minutes longer. So it was not traditional, but I moved and it feels good.

Lots of great exercision out there, Ladies. WTG

Kathy
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I did nothing yesterday -- planned rest day. This morning, I did a 6-mile run. Woohoo!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Phew...St. Paddy's Day snow shoveling to start...I solid 2 hours, by hand...wet heavy snow...it was a real good workout actually...and fit day tells me that is over 400calories! Now that I can get out of my driveway I'm gonna hit the gym this afternoon too with a planned 30 min on the stairmill, 30 on the new ski machine things (which aren't really ski machines but I'm not sure what they are...like a gazelle but not a gazelle) and 30 minutes of weight training....Onderland here I come!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

2.75 miles on the elliptical....tomorrow bumps up to 3 miles! I can't believe it. 8 weeks ago 3 minutes was a killer!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #35  

Tricia, you're doing so great on that elliptical! I love the elliptical -- I did it a lot for a while, but now I just do it once a week because of my training runs. It's really good cross training for running because it's so easy on my knees, which are getting a bit pounded lately. I really want an elliptical in my house, but I'm far too broke for that!

Speaking of knee-pounding, I ran a fast (for me) 2 miles today and did 40 minutes of yoga.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #36  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Great job, everybody!

1/2 hour of biking for me today.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #37  

Lisa - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just so proud of myself for sticking with the exercise. For me, the eating right was a LOT easier than sticking to exercising...but now it all just feels really right. I do have an elliptical at home. DH bought it for me for my birthday in July...the sad thing is it took me until January to start using it! Oh well, I know he is glad that I'm doing it now. I've even seen him on it a few times! haha The great thing for me is that I'm extremely self-conscious about working out and don't like ANYONE to see me...so once everyone has left for the day I do it...first thing in the morning! LOVE that!

I had been meaning to ask about how it compares to running. I know it is easier on the joints...but exertion-wise...what do you think? According to my stats (which are SUPPOSED to be very accurate...based on all the reviews we read on this machine!) I'm doing my 3 (YES!! THREE) miles in about 19 minutes....averaging a little over 9 miles an hour. Is that ANYTHING like running 3 miles in 19 minutes? I figured the runners on here woudl have an idea about how they compare.

Today....3 miles!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 AM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsfan1 View Post
I had been meaning to ask about how it compares to running. I know it is easier on the joints...but exertion-wise...what do you think?
Some people say they think the two workouts are comparable, but for me nothing really comes close to running. I can get a good workout on an elliptical and sweat like crazy and burn all sorts of calories, but there's something about propelling yourself off the ground for a long period of time that just works you out like nothing else. A 9-minute mile is pretty fast if you're actually running -- I ran as fast as I could sustain for 2 miles yesterday, and I was running about a 10:40 mile. I can go a little faster than that in short intervals when I'm doing speedwork on the treadmill, but it's not comfortable. My husband's easy recovery runs are 8 or 9 minute miles, and he's like a freaking superhero (his fast runs are 6-7 minute miles or so). The elliptical supports you so you can go faster, but it's not the same as pushing off the ground and propelling yourself up and forward. Running for 30 minutes at a 12-minute mile pace feels like a FAR harder workout to me than going faster on an elliptical. But I've heard other people say the elliptical is tougher for them, so I guess it depends on your own body.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #39  

Just finished 3 miles...19 minutes! That's a little over 6 minutes per mile!

Thanks for the info, Lisa. I think I'm tending to agree with you. For me, running for real would be tougher. I was paying attention, today, to the elliptical and the smoothness of the movement I think helps a LOT. Also, the strides are a LOT bigger than I could do on the ground...so I'm covering more ground per stride. So I think that you're right...running is a lot tougher. However, a 6 minute mile on the elliptical is nothing to sneeze at! GO ME!