Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #1  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Question OT - Any 3FC friends from Georgia?

Hi 3FC friends! Hubby and I are seriously thinking of moving out of Florida and into Georgia. Housing prices and insurance rates are just too much in our area and we really need something a little bigger. We are considering the Dallas or Powder Springs area. What can you tell us about this area or Georgia in general?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

Is there no one? Not a one?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm sorry Rhonda, I wish I could help you. Perhaps you would reach more people if you posted this on the General Chatter forum. More folks would get to see it. Maybe?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm in alabama...right on the Georgia border....
RebaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Default I'm in Georgia!

Hello, Rhonda!

I'm a transplanted northerner now living in GA, in Coweta County about 40 minutes to an hour southwest of Atlanta, depending on traffic. My partner and I moved here because we could get just SOOOOO much more house for the money. We're both NY'ers, but moved here together from Baltimore. We sold our 1800 s.f. townhome (with no garage) there for just slightly less than the cost of a gorgeous 3100 s.f. bungalow-style ranch we had built with all the interior bells and whistles and a POOL! Some things seem to cost a little more, but most cost less. We could NOT have afforded this house in Maryland, where it would have cost about $600,000-800,000.00, depending on location. If we could have, we'd have built closer to Atlanta proper, but the farther south we went, the farther our dollar went!

We've found everyone to be gracious and welcoming, if not always entirely sincere. That's ok, though -- it beats the alternative and insincerity doesn't exist just in GA!

GA has more counties than any other state, and the infrastructures and state funding vary from county to county. I don't know if you have kids, but the educational systems might be something you'd want to check out if so. I actually looked into that a little even though we don't have kids because of its impact on resale down the road.

Anyway, we love our home, I love the weather, and it is DEFINITELY less expensive than most parts of Florida. (I used to live in Florida also, and looked into housing costs when we were first talking about leaving Maryland.) I'd really prefer that GA weren't such an enthusiastically red state , but we went into that with our eyes open. That might not present any obstacle for you though, I don't know!

If you have any specific questions that you think I might be able to answer, just let me know! Best of everything to you with this decision.....I say go for it!!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #7  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Another transplanted northerner (Canadian actually) here, and I'm in Coweta County, too!

Girlygirl, I am not too familiar with the Dallas or Powder Springs area, but I would say probably one of the biggest factors about where to live depends on where you'll be working, as the traffic in Atlanta can be awful. I would think in Dallas you'd get more house for your money, as well as a smaller town feel than living in PS, which strikes me more as suburb-type living.

I would second everything that Sarah said, but I guess coming from Florida you probably wouldn't be in for as much of a culture shock as coming from up north.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hey, LitChick! Well, small world! We're in Newnan. Sharpsburg is right around the corner, I think! Gorgeous day today, no?? I'm so ready for spring, and to put all of those scary tornadoes behind us!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #9  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessofsarahtolove View Post
Hey, LitChick! Well, small world! We're in Newnan. Sharpsburg is right around the corner, I think! Gorgeous day today, no?? I'm so ready for spring, and to put all of those scary tornadoes behind us!
Isn't it though? I'm ready for the trees and everything else to start blooming, and I love the summer storms.

Newnan is such a cute little town - we go down to the court square area every so often.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessofsarahtolove View Post
Hello, Rhonda!

I'd really prefer that GA weren't such an enthusiastically red state , but we went into that with our eyes open.
hahahah I hear that!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #11  
Believe

I'm in Georgia also - but I'm in the poorer part of the state. I'm up by Lake Lanier in Hall County. And I moved out here because the townhouse I purchased would have cost at least 50K more one county in - and there would have been no way I could have afforded anything in Atlanta itself. You're really going to have to think in terms of where you are going to work unless you don't have to work or you work from home. There for a while my company moved and even though it was only 50 miles one way it was taking me anywhere from 2-4 hours to get home at night. In the morning it was no problem (45 minutes to give you an idea of the traffic) because I would leave my house at 5 just to avoid the "rush hour" traffic. If I could afford to live anywhere in Atlanta I'd want to live smack down in the middle of downtown - but that's not happening unless I win the lottery tonight. If I didn't need to worry about travel to and from work I would have purchased something in Fayette County which is pretty close to where Sarah and LitChick are. But if it's any help, when I was looking for a place I was looking in Hall County and Paulding County (which is where Dallas is) and the housing pricing was comparable in both places. I ended up in Hall because at the time it was closer to my office.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #12  
Former Quitter

Thanks to everybody for your input! Hubby and I are taking a road trip this weekend to check out the Dallas and Powder Springs area.