Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #16  
hara hachi bu

It took me a bit to get used to fish, too. I started with salmon and "meatier" fish, and now I do the whiter, flakier stuff as well. As a kid, fish was always breaded and fried, and served with tartar sauce! Ick!

I usually broil it, "george" it, or bake it. For flavor, I blacken it or add olive oil, pepper, lemon or lime. Other good fish seasonings are ginger, garlic, hot sauce, salsa/pico de gallo, and things like Nature's Seasons (premixed spice combinations). Another good (but not so healthy) topping is parmesan and mayo.

I almost always serve it with a green vegetable and a sweet potato.

Last edited by phantastica; 02-28-2007 at 10:27 AM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Dana, I love the idea, but booooy do I hate fish. I'd be interested to see what people come up with for it though!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #18  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

WOW! Believe it or not, this is JUST what I needed! I don't "do" fish very well, but with my lab results coming back with low HDL yesterday, fish is a must for me now at least twice a week. I will definitely be using this thread and its great suggestions! Thanks...and keep them coming!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #19  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
Dana, I love the idea, but booooy do I hate fish. I'd be interested to see what people come up with for it though!

I don't like it either... but I know I should try it.. maybe
maybe I will get some great idea here.

I think we should do this once a week...
we will call the thread: food of the week... what do you all think?
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #20  
hara hachi bu

I like "Adopt a Food" better for a thread title. - and yeah, a week is easier.

Last edited by phantastica; 02-28-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

I think committing to trying it once during the week will probably be easier than a month. And think of all the fun food finds that will appear!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #22  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I use this topping on any fish, usually Tilapia

Figure for about 4 servings. I'm very bad with measurements because I make up my own recipes. So these are really approximates.

About 1 TBS butter, softened
About 3 TBS seasoned corn flake crumbs or seasoned bread crumbs. Mix together.

First I clean the fish, rub about 3 large cloves of crushed over about 4 pieces of fish. I Then sprinkle the fish with a little onion powder, salt and some pepper. I then squeeze the juice of one lemon over the fish. And then I add the topping, kinda crumbling it on. It comes out crusty. Really good.

I also sometimes make a salmon teryiaki type fish.

Using fillets. Sprinkle on lots of garlic powder, sliced scallions and then I use a brown sesame seed thick sauce teryiaki type sauce, the brand is Mikee. I guess we all have different brands where we shop. You don't need a lot of the sauce, it's quite tasty. And bake it, that's it. Delicious.

I will tell you this, I love fish and it's health benefits. But if I didn't LIKE it, I could never eat it. So I know you gals are trying to try new things, but if you still don't like it, I don't know, I just couldn't eat stuff I don't like. I certainly hope you grow to like it, but if not........ I think the reason I have stayed on plan as long as I have is because I have found food that I really and truly love and look forward to eating. Knowing that I enjoy everything that I eat truly helps me to stay on plan. It does sometimes take time to figure that out, but it's worth it.

By the way, I like both names.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #23  

Very true about having to like your food. You're setting yourself up for failure if you force yourself to eat something you don't like. But... I have found that trying the fish different ways has made me actually like it. Just keep trying.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #24  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Don't get me wrong Bizlawchk, I whole heartedly agree everyone should certainly try fish in different ways and hopefully they will find a way that they DO like it. 100%. But if after many, many attempts and really giving it a good try and still you don't care for it, well then ..........
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #25  

Oh, I was agreeing with you on that one. I'm like that w/salmon. Tried it many different ways and it will never happen.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #26  
hara hachi bu

I think the only 2 foods I dislike are ... beets, and liver. No wonder I'm fat. Ha
Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #27  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I purchased some Hoki fillets at the suggestion of the seafood counter guy at the grocery store. Very cheap, and tasty! I'm not sure of the calories, but they are considered "white fish" so the ww points are very low....I believe 4 points for a 6 oz fillet (my book is at home, sorry!), and a 6 oz fillet is huge! I sprinkle both sides heavily with Old Bay Seasoning, then saute lightly in olive oil to get in the healthy oils for the day. Love it! I eat mine as is, DH pours salsa over the top of his.
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #28  

My favorite current fish recipe is oven baked catfish! It's like fried without the calories Here is one recipe that is great when you have an urge for chicken wings. It's shown as an appetizer, but I have done this for dinner and served it with a toss salad. :

Buffalo-Style Catfish Strips with Ranch Dressing

From
The inspiration for this appetizer is Buffalo chicken wings. We breaded and baked catfish strips, then drizzled them with a spicy sauce. If you don't like spicy foods, omit the hot pepper sauce. Products labeled "hot sauce" generally have less heat and stronger vinegar flavor than those labeled "hot pepper sauce," which are intensely hot and should be used sparingly.

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed cornflakes
1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
Cooking spray
1/3 cup hot sauce (such as Crystal)
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup fat-free ranch dressing
4 celery stalks, cut into 1/4 x 3-inch sticks
4 carrots, cut into 1/4 x 3-inch sticks

Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk. Place egg whites in a shallow dish. Place cornflakes in a shallow dish. Working with 1 fish strip at a time, dredge in flour mixture. Dip in egg whites; dredge in cornflakes. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining fish strips, flour mixture, egg whites, and cornflakes.

Lightly coat fish strips with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until done, turning once.

Combine hot sauce, pepper sauce, and Worcestershire in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Drizzle hot sauce mixture over fish. Serve with ranch dressing, celery, and carrots.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 2 ounces fish, 1/2 celery stalk, 1/2 carrot, and 1 tablespoon dressing)

CALORIES 183 (30% from fat); FAT 6.2g (sat 2g,mono 2.5g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 12.5g; CHOLESTEROL 31mg; CALCIUM 34mg; SODIUM 618mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 19.2g

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2002
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #29  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Fish is something that was an acquired taste for me. One of my favorite ways to cook it is in a pressure cooker. The pressure cooker really infuses flavors well into the fish. One of my favorite ways to eat fish is to make fish tacos.

For the pressure cooker, I put frozen fish filets, some water, various spices and cook for 20 minutes. The spices vary on what I'm feeling. Mrs Dash is pretty good but so are cajun rubs and such.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #30  

Height: 5.6

I love this idea - I am not the best with fish, I normally get the "ready-made" fish, or I use tuna, shrimp or the fake lobster and crab - -- - I don't think that those are the best choices.... I have to look at the calories, I have not really used them in the last month....

Okay - Adopt a food - - - can we use that as a tax deduction?
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote