Old 02-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #1  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Working mom, no time for anything

Hi all,

I'm new here. Looks like an awesome place to be! I'm hoping to get (and give) a little support. My frustration is that I work full time, have 2 active kids (girl age 12, boy age 10), my husband has his own business and doesn't have a lot of time either, and it gets so hectic. I'm working to change my attitude of my needs coming in at the end of the list. It's pretty easy to forget about getting exercise when you have yourself convinced that you're too busy or just overwhelmed.
I guess that while my body needs to be changed, so does my mind!!
Gotta get past taking that first step, I guess!
Thanks for the venting time!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

HI and welcome! You've come to the right place for some great support!!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #3  

Great to have you here!! Little steps, no one expects you to run a marathon next week -- same old -- park farther away, take the kids for a walk or chase them around the backyard, a few minutes can go a long way,. It's all about the little changes you make to get you where you want to go. I have a 3 year old and a 7 year old, both boys -- tell me it gets easier as they get older!!!

Good luck to you.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

one step at a time, one small change at a time...will make a difference.

when I had kids at home, I used the 10 min. rule...(just 10 mins. for myself for exercise--no one was allowed to bother me). The kids can give to you too.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #5  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Congrats on your decision to change your life. Start off with baby steps and small changes you can maintain. This site is great. I find it very supportive. Post Often. We're here for you!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #6  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Baby steps, small changes make big impacts. Switch from soda to water, don't supersize meals, watch portion control. And move more. You can carve out 30 minutes of you time, if you truly want to change.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #7  
Diane

So cool to have such a quick response! You know, I can read and understand what I need to do, but getting going and keeping going has been tough for me.
Good thought about taking 10 minutes of "me" time. I'm going to put that rule in force when I get home!
Oh, and in response to Shelby897... nope, sorry! It doesn't get easier, just different challenges!! They want to do more sports, more activities, and they still need a driver!
But, I'm not looking forward to having a child who drives, so I'm happy with this age!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Slashnl. Welcome to 3FC and the 100lb club. You have found a great place for advice, encouragement and support. I have 3 kids, 19, 17 and 15. In certain ways they are more demanding, in certain ways less. I guess right now every decision is so major. Colleges and careers and boyfriends (I have 3 girls). It is a challenge, but a worthwhile one at that. Hey, I can say the same thing about weightloss. Anyway, I'm glad you're here. Looking forward to getting to know you. Just keep in mind what you're attempting is very doable. Just look around 3FC and you will find many people who are winning the fight. Good luck!!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #9  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Oh, Slashnl, how I can relate! I work full time at home and home school my 11 and 13 yo boys. Plus, I'm a kids' minisry leader and am involved in my church a lot. Plus, I do the bills, menu planning, grocery shopping, and on it goes. All I want to add to the others' responses above is that I finally got to the point where I realized unless I started taking the time that I needed to work out (which provides a place of solitude in my otherwise hectic schedule) I would only get worse and my family suffer even more (because of my poor health, poor attitude, poor outlook, etc). So, for me, I felt that making myself take the first step and stay on plan was the best thing I could do not only for me but for the whole family. Cuz we have all heard it said - If mamma aint happy, aint nobody happy! So true around here! LOL!!

We are definitely here for you. This place is phenomenal! We trust we will be a help to you, and I look forward to getting to know you as we both strive for our individual goals. YOU CAN DO THIS!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #10  
Diane

I'm also new to message boards. It seems like it could be addicting!! It's nice to talk to a community like this. Angihas, your comment of making it happen "if you really want to change" is right on. It is easy to whine about not having time, but there is ALWAYS someone out there who is busier and yet makes it a priority and takes care of what needs to be done. (Sometimes I need a good kick!)
Rockinrobin, your start weight and mine are very similar and you are just about where my goal weight is. It can be done!
----- 3 teenage girls. I have a preteen girl and can just imagine the highs and lows around your house!!! They are fun.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #11  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!!! Yes, you have to take YOU back! I have 2 kids, an 8 year old and a 28 year old (also known as my husband ) I also work full time and I go to school online. So I definitely can relate.

Well you know how you schedule your kids soccer practice or dance lessons? You also need to schedule YOUR time. Write it down if you have to and post it on the fridge. Use your time to exercise or menu plan or anything that you need to do to focus on your new lifestyle. With time the balance gets easier, but what's one more thing to busy moms like us? I know you can do it!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 315/238/150

Height: 5-5

Welcome, I am still working on the make time for me thing. It is easy to use the excuse I am too busy, I use it regularly, we just need to set our minds to it and go for it.

I work, take care of all our household things, my husband and I have 2 grown daughters, a 9 yr old daughter and a 4 yr old son who keep me busy, plus the grandkids. If I am not careful I get so wrapped up in everyone else I forget about me, it happens more then I like to admit.

welcome and we can work on this together. its me time.
yayimshrinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #13  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
Little steps, no one expects you to run a marathon next week -- same old -- park farther away, take the kids for a walk or chase them around the backyard, a few minutes can go a long way,. It's all about the little changes you make to get you where you want to go.
Great advice, Shelby. And I think it *does* get easier as boys get older. I had one son and I thought I was raising a criminal until he was about 12 years old. But then, right about that time, he somehow found the Magic Button and turned out to be a pretty dang good kid (he's sixteen now).

Anyway - I would still give my son fast food on occasion. I'd get him a drive-thru on the way to a swim meet (with a side of vegetables from home), and I'd bring my own healthier meal from home to eat in the bleachers. It doesn't always have to be glamorous or difficult in order to be healthy. My lunch today was leftover pork, some rice, carrot & celery sticks, and a grapefruit. I find it best to mix it up and strike a balance ... some days, eating boring is better because I don't feel like chopping more vegetables; other days, I put in efforts to make a more sophisticated dish that tastes better.

This is a great place to be! I know you'll find a multitude of nifty tricks to help you get to your goal here.

Welcome to 3FC!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #14  
Bek

S/C/G: 204/159/139

Height: 5'7"

Hello Slashnl! May I ask what time your husband leaves the house in the morning? Is there any chance that you could get up 30 or so minutes earlier (I know! I know!) and take a walk before he leaves? Assuming you would want someone home with the children. Have you ever heard of a book called "Don't sweat the small stuff"? One thing he suggested that stuck in my mind, although I think he took it wayyyy too far, is getting up before everyone else in the house, and having some quiet time to yourself. When I first started this, I got up at 5:30 so that I could get in a good 45 minute walk and crunches before I had to start getting ready for work. I found quickly, that there was another benefit, it was quiet and I could think or listen to my music, or a book on CD. I began to really look forward to that part of the day. Just a thought :-)
Bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Diane!

I also work full time and I have two girls, 11 and 7. I've found that eating healthier and exercising actually make it easier to handle my day to day life. I have more energy, have a much better mood and handle stress better. Also, my girls are learning the importance of eating right and exercise. You're right....the first step is the big one....so step on out there!

Looking forward to getting to know you.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote