Old 02-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #1  
podsky

S/C/G: 222

Height: 5'4

Smile Help

I am new to this and in my 50's. My well being depends on me being able to get it together and lose some weight. I've thought of Overeaters anonymous, but not sure that is right for me. Do these boards really help? Any suggestions for success? How oftent do people go on the boards?

Looking for help
podsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #2  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the forum podsky! I know the boards help me. It motivates and encourages me to continue my quest for a healthier me. It has educated me to other options that I wouldn't have considered on my own. I now know that the mistakes I make along the way are mistakes that others have made which helps to keep me focused on the big picture rather than my old mentality which was "I screwed up- therefore I might as well give up!".

I try to check in an read the posts once a day, but sometimes life get in the way and I can't always make it here.

I tried OA on the advice of my doctor back in 2003. I've heard wonderful things about it and I know it works for some. I gave it 3 weeks, but each week it was the same thing - we went around the room and each had to read a paragraph from one of the OA books (all three weeks it was the same paragraphs!) and tell the group how that paragraph related to our own personal experience. I personally don't like to be the center of attention in a group setting like that and I was very uncomfortable not only reading out loud but being put on the spot and trying to think and say something intelligent about the paragraph I had to read. Bottom line - it stressed me out!! But I've talked to others and their meetings were nothing like that so I think it depends on where you go to the OA meeting.

Good luck on your journey to a healthier you!! I look forward to seeing more posts from you!!!

Melissa
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #3  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Podsky, welcome! Jump right in, these boards can be such a help! There are people here all the time to help you through whatever is happening at the moment. There are success stories, motivation, encouragement and helpful information, all for the asking!

I've never been involved with OA, so I can't give you any advice there. I can tell you that my doc highly recommended weight watchers, so that is where I started, and am very thankful that I did, it's just the plan for me. Read through the different forums and gather info on the different plans to help you make a decision. The overall goal is for you to become a better, healthier you, and 3FC can help you get there. GOOD LUCK!!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I have no experience with OA. But I have a PhD in being fat and dieting. I think the best thing you can do is research. There are SO many "diets" out there, that it can be overwhelming and confusing. Research and think long term. Don't worry about "Can I do this for 3 months to lose x amount of weight" think more along the lines of "Can I do this everyday of my life". If the answer to question 2 is no, then it's not the one for you. I think changing the way we eat is basic common sense. We all know we need fruits, veggies, meat, fish, poultry, grains and water to get everything we need. It's more about portion control and learning the difference between eating for hunger and eating for any other reason. Unfortunately, common sense though it may be, if we all had it in regards to food, diets wouldn't be needed. All I can tell you is this, I read these boards like someone pays me for it, I ask questions, I read more, I research and I decide whats right for me. On 3FC you'll find men and women who are struggling, the same way you are and most of us who post regularly share tips, ideas, encouragement or cyber hugs. We want you to succeed and we're here to help or just to listen. You can do this, if you want to.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #5  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Podsky!

I love the support, encouragement, acceptance, knowledge & information that's shared, the positive attitude, the energy, the friendliness, the wonderful people... I love coming to these boards. I'm online a lot so I tend to come daily, it's become a morning ritual for me when I check my email. People come on as they want, as they can - everyone does whatever works for them. So choose what works best for you

Suggestion for weight loss - read around these threads. There is an awesome wealth of information and there is also an abundance of energy and tons of motivation.. there are threads about our daily goals, our accomplishments, exercise, diet, lifestyle, other issues, getting back on track.. there are tons of different diet sub-communities. And there is a photo-album thread, which is one of my favourite things about the 3FC community - those pictures are unbelievable. They are the ultimate motivation for me when I need that little extra.

Well I could keep going on and on I hope that was helpful
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Podsky,

Congratulations on deciding to make changes for your well being! You've definitely come to the right place for support, encouragement and plain old dieting advice. I visit this site daily...usually, several times a day! The people on here understand....they 'get it.'

The dieting world can be overwhelming. There are literally hundreds of diets out there. While you are researching, I recommend starting off with simple changes.....eating whole grains, more vegetables, lean meats, replace your oils with limited amounts of healthy oils, eat not foods with refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup.....and, start moving...exercise will get your metabolism going and help those scales go down.

I hope you decide to join with us on this journey.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #7  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Welcome!

Congrats on your decision to change your life. I just discovered this site last week and I am already in love with it. I have been checking in daily when I can (at work ;-) when I actually have a computer to use as I don't have one at home.) I am finding it to be of great help. I think it is one of those things where you get out of it what you put into it. If you want it to help you, then it will. The people here do understand and I like the feel of the site.-- I have tried other message forums before and I found them to be too impersonal for me.

Good luck. We're here for ya!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

The boards really really help me. I usually try to come once in the morning and again in the evening. I don't post too much though. I read and get inspired though.

I'm almost always looking at the weightloss success photos. lol
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote