Old 02-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5'6''

Default Newbie introduction

Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for weeks. I've found this site to be very inspiring in helping me stick with the diet this time. This site seems so casual and friendly, better than others.

I've been dieting since high school. It wasn't until I got married 5 years ago that I just let myself go. I can't believe I did it, but I did. I found the stress of work and marriage and now a child to be too much for me to try and diet too. I've ballooned to over 100 pounds from five years ago. My DH is in the same boat, he's also gained 100 pounds. Of course, he's very tall and holds his weight much better. But we are both really concerned about being healthy and around for our son. We would go on diets together, but one of us would sabotage the other, it just hasn't worked. But I'm not blaming my DH, I take responsibility for what I put in my mouth.

Finally I've decided to diet on my own. I hope DH is inspired by me doing so well. I can no longer just eat what he is eating. For the past 4 weeks, I've been fixing meals that I will eat. And if he eats it, that's great, but if not then he can fend for himself. He use to go to the grocery for us, but now I am making grocery shopping my job. I only buy healthy things. So even if he doesn't eat my meal, he is eating healthier than he was.

So far 11 pounds down, and way too many to go. But I am taking it step by step. I'll celebrate when I hit 219. I'm really looking forward to onederland, but I know it's still a ways off. I'll get to it though!
keegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Keegster and welcome to 3fc and the 100 lb. club. This is a fantastic place for advice, support and encouragement. Your story is so very familiar to me. I also ballooned up after marriage and kids, though in March I'll be married 21 years. So, yeah I didn't decide to get a handle on it till just recently. I'm glad you're tackling your weight A LOT sooner then I did.

It sounds like you have a great plan in place. It would be nice to have hubby along for the ride, but if not, so be it. Hopefully he will see your success and want to join in. Looking forward to getting to know you. Good luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/172/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Newbie to page, newbie to posting

I read about this site in Oprah. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to blogging (?), so I'm not sure what to do. But, when the internet first started I thought that was confusing too.

Anyway, I have gained and lost, gained and lost, like a lot of people typically have. I have three kids and my husband is significantly over weight, so I feel responsible for the quality of our food, which has definitely been lacking. Your writing that you make what you will eat and your husband can eat it or not was very uplifting for me. I don't want to be an enabler, I don't want to sabotage myself, and I'm not a waitress either, so I think I will be taking that route. I don't think it's a big deal to have good boundaries like that as long as I'm not nagging or being self righteous. If you're matter of fact about what's available for food it helps take the focus off of the kitchen as pleasure central. I've had so many mixed and shameful messages about food and weight, I don't want to create that atmosphere at home. So, thanks, this has given me some encouragement to take the lead without feeling like I'm imposing or shaming. It's just food, right?
kdua100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/172/120

Height: 5'3"

Keegster, if you're lookin' for a buddy, I'm there. You'll just need to be patient with me while I figure out how to work this stuff.
kdua100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #5  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Welcome keegster!
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #6  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Welcome! Congrats on stepping in the right direction. You will get there. I too have tried to diet before with friends, sisters, and even my mom. I have found it didn't really work for me because when the other person lacked conviction to diet I let myself use it as an excuse to jump off the wagon as well. I am hoping others in my family will be motivated by me losses.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5'6''

Thank you for all the kind welcomes!
keegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #8  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and congrats on the 11 pounds you will never see again!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Keegster and Kdua100. Step-by-step is the best way to go. Each step gets us closer and closer to our ultimate destination....a more slender fit body!

Hubby and I have been trying to diet and exercise together, however, his motivation seems to be waning. You're right. We do have to do this for ourselves and just hope they jump on the wagon with us.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #10  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Welcome keegster and kdua100!

You have found a GREAT site here! Yes, people ARE very positive and encouraging here!

The thing that I found here was a real feeling of sisterhood (and even some BROTHERhood!). There are so many people on the site that you are bound to find quite a few with a very similar story to your own!

I packed on over 100 pounds in thirty years. It went on about ten pounds a year for the first ten years which was very stealthy on its part! For the last TWENTY YEARS I have been dragging it around, which has been just...stupid of me!

About ten years ago I came to my senses and decided to DO SOMETHING about my body. I lost an initial 25, stayed there for awhile, lost about twenty more and stayed there for awhile and then about five years ago started back to lose some more. My body VERY GRUNGINGLY gives up its weight! I can stay at a plateau for MONTHS at a time!

Within the last month I have been using FitDay. It is free. Here's the site:

www.FitDay.com I have finally been able to blast off my recent plateau and am four pounds away from 199. That will be a MAJOR achievemnet for me, as I have not seen the 100s in TWENTY YEARS!

Good luck on your weight loss journey! Come and post often, and be sure to check out all the pictures at the :"GOAL" and "MINI-GOAL" sections of the site. They are SOOOO inspiring!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #11  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Congratulations on the weight you've lost so far....and all the weight that will melt off in the months to come
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote