Old 02-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #31  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

I'm curious....have any of you used any of Sue Gregg's whole foods recipes? I'm especially intrigued with her waffles (which we love, by the way, and is one thing hubby will NOT do away with - so I was glad to find this healthier recipe).
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #32  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

No Ritzy I haven't tried them. Why not give them a try? Start experimenting. Find out what you do and do not like. A lot of this is trial and error.

As far as the cookie recipe, give them a try. This is where we're all different and have different needs comes into play. For me, I wouldn't want to eat them. I'd rather do something different with my 300 calories. But you have to absolutely do what is best for YOU and your family. If you do make them I'd love to know how they are, let us know. There are things that I am not willing to give up that you could probably care less about. That's why we all have to find out what works best for us. That's why there is no 1 correct plan.

As far as the whole foods thing, I mostly stick to it. But I do eat someprocessed foods, like my Morning Star Farms lunches. And I eat them without any guilt.

As far as your family goes, I am the only cook in the house, they eat what I serve them, or they don't eat. They will get used to it. And enjoy it. There would be no reason for them not to like it. It tastes GOOD. I will at times make certain things just for them. Like the other night with the Red Lentil soup, I seved my kids big baked potatoes with cheddar and mozzerella on top. I ate some leftover chicken thingy. I don't want them to feel deprived and be too much of a fanatic about it. I have heard horror stories of kids who have been deprived of treats and "normal" foods and then when they get to be adults they pig out and become obese because of the deprivation. I was grocery shopping a couple of weeks ago and they had these little tiny cupcakes on sale and I bought them. I didn't touch them, if they were homemade I would have. My kids enjoyed them. They don't have a problem with portions it was me who did.

I was never a big fan of lentils, with the exception of this soup recipe. I would have no idea of the difference between regular and red. I'm sure it would be fine. Although between the red lentils and the tomato paste it has a very appealing color to it. Try it. If it's not good, you won't make it again. (It WILL be good though)

I thought of another flavorful thing I make. Roasted red peppers. You cut them in half, length wise, remove the seeds. Place them on a baking sheet. Broil them skin side down just until before they get blackened, turn them over and broil til they just start to get black. When they are cool enough to handle peel off the skin. They are extremely flavorful. You could put them in salads or just eat them by themselves. I sometimes make a portabello mushroom sandwich with the peppers and some sauteed spinach and garlic. You can even add a little shredded cheese to them. Sprinkle on a little olive oil and fresh basil. Very good.

You'll get the hang of it. It sounds like you really want to and are very motivated to do so!!! Really, before not too long at all you will have a bunch of menu ideas. You'll figure out what works and doesn't work for you and your family. We're always here for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 AM   #33  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Robin: Once again...you have been my mentor! As for the cookies, I did fail to bring out that these are BIG cookies (thus the reason they are called "breakfast" cookies). And, that also accounts for the high calories. I have edited my original post to reflect this. Those roasted peppers sound wonderful! I will definitely being doing those!! Thanks again....and thanks for not tiring of me being so inquisitive! You all are truly my lifeline. Here's a wish to all of us to stay OP today....and the weekend!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #34  
3 + years maintaining

Okay Fritzy that is a bit different. I didn't get that they were for breakfast as opposed to a snack. In that case they sound YUMMY and would definitely be worth it to me once in a while. Please let us know how they are.

You have no need to apologize. Keep those questions coming. We're all in this together and that's why we're here - to help one another on our quest for a better and healthier life.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #35  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Thanks, Robin! I will definitely let you know the outcome. I think I may try these this weekend...if not then, maybe Monday.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzyFritz View Post
I'm curious....have any of you used any of Sue Gregg's whole foods recipes? I'm especially intrigued with her waffles (which we love, by the way, and is one thing hubby will NOT do away with - so I was glad to find this healthier recipe).
Would you mind sharing your waffle recipe? My husband is ADDICTED to waffles and we have them at least once a week (on the weekend) and I'd love to find something that is fairly healthy so we can both enjoy them! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
avsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Ritzy - I am like Robin, I am the cook here, and I don't deprive anyone, we all eat the same thing basically. (DH still refuses to give up his chips, so he has the things he likes in his drawer of his computer desk!) He still eats creamy salad dressing and I don't, things like that. He still fusses about the types of greens in the salad (he would much prefer plain old iceburg - our DD pointed out to him there was NO nutrional value in iceburg! ) It just gets easier with each passing week to live this lifestyle.

I also use the morning star farms products. I REALLY like their spicy black bean burgers. I have them with 1/2 of an avacado on a WW english muffin for lunch. YUM!!! That company has some really good tasting vegetarian items. So, I do eat some processed foods too - I am just VERY particular about which ones.

Last weekend he wanted pancakes, so I made them. I made buckwheat pancakes. He had his with syrup, I had mine with a thin layer of natural peanut butter! (and it was really good too!)

Another thing I make (which I truely love) is to take a whole mess of fresh vegies - summer squash (yellow and green), turnips, carrots, mushrooms, purple onion, 3 colors of bell peppers (use whatever you like!)- cut them all up in a big bowl, and toss them with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Put them on a BIG baking sheet (11x15) sprayed with PAM - and roast them at 450 till they are all carmelized. (I stir them about every 10 minutes and it takes about 30 for them to completely cook) this is a wonderful lunch - I stuff some in a ww pita and put a little cheese on top and warm it up. YUMMM!!! It is even good cold! This is my DD favorite thing to pack in her lunch for school.

You'll do fine, and if you have any other questions, just ask! I wish I would have discovered this way of eating years ago......but I am not going to dwell on that. I know I have a great future waiting for me!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Here's a good site if you're interested in whole foods, it's called "World's Healthiest Foods". I like that it talks about why certain foods are healthy. There are tips and recipes too!
http://www.whfoods.com/
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #39  
Losin' it forever!

I love this thread!

A few lifesavers for me have been the Barilla Whole Grain pastas with omega 3. I remember the first time I tried whole wheat pasta and wasn't too keen on it. With the Barilla, I can't even tell the difference. Someone mentioned spaghetti squash? What is this and where does one find it??

I have pretty much cut out beef for myself entirely. After hearing Doc Oz say it takes, what was it....5 days to a week for it to break down in your system? That scared me to death and it just doesn't sound healthy! I have switched my family over to turkey and again, I can't tell the difference! I've made a baked ziti with sweet turkey sausage and I've done turkey meatloaf and they both just rock!

Another question. What is Agave nectar and where do you find it? I don't need to sweeten too many things, mostly just my one cup of coffee in the morning and my cereal, but I've been using Splenda. The other thing I'm way curious about is the milled flax seed. I just bought some but have not yet gotten up the courage to try it on my cereal. Does it have flavor?

For anyone struggling with the soda thing, what has worked for me is diet green tea, sweetened with ginseng and honey. I am completely off diet soda now!

Everyone has so many wonderful suggestions! I love it!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #40  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

charbar - since I eat beans every day I'll tell you I don't like baked beans but I love regular beans and lentils.

Garbanzo bean salad - Garbanzo beans, maybe some kidney beans, chopped cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, maybe some chopped red onions, a little lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. It is pretty good.

Easy beans for dinner - A can of black beans, a can of kidney beans and a can of diced tomatoes. Rinse the beans really well, add the beans and can of tomatoes to a sauce pan. Add a little water but don't cover the beans with water. Add some diced onions and some garlic. Simmer, occassionally stirring, for 20 minutes, let beans dry out a little but don't burn them.

I just bought a book called "The Splendid Grain" and it has tons of recipes for all sorts of grains. I'm very excited. Grains covered in the book include steel cut oats, amaranth, quinoa, millet, rye, barley, rice and others.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #41  
3 + years maintaining

Lakegirl, I mentioned the spaghetti squash. It's a vegetable in the squash family. It's oval and yellow, it varies in size, maybe a little smaller then a football. I buy it at the produce store. I'm pretty sure it could be found in the produce section of your supermarket. It has just 42 calories for a 1 cup serving.

It's very firm. To cook it, I first poke it with a fork a few times and microwave it for 3 or 4 minutes. This allows it to soften so that it can be cut. After microwaving, I cut it in half length wise and put it on a baking sheet, cut side down. I bake it in the oven at 350', a little higher if I'm in a rush. I've never timed it. I just keep checking to see if it's soft. Maybe an hour. I will make it a point to check it the next time I make it, which will be next week since I just bought one. When it's soft, you just kinda scoop it out. It's soft and stringy. It's a little bland, so you'll need to serve it with something. I serve it with sauteed onions and a little marinara sauce. I've also served it with sauteed onions, mushrooms and tons of sliced broiled tomatoes. You can serve it with a stir fry and on and on.

Charbar, I am not a bean lover, or should I say beans don't love me. I do have a great black bean salad recipe though which I make occasionally and gets gobbled up in 2 seconds flat. I've even served it for company.

1 can black beans, rinsed well
a bunch of grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
2 avacadoes, diced.
1 small red onion, diced
juice of 1 lemon
season with cumin, black pepper, a little salt and 2 large cloves crushed garlic. It's delish. You can also add in roasted red peppers or a small can of rinsed corn niblets. I try to stay away from corn, it's very sugary.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #42  

That web site on healthy foods was great.

I live on Bird's Eye Steam Fresh veggie packs. There is no prep to them - 5 mins in the mircrowave and you are done! Add a little spray butter and you have a good meal. (If you like veggies that is!)
JennRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #43  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Lakegirl, I mentioned the spaghetti squash. It's a vegetable in the squash family. It's oval and yellow, it varies in size, maybe a little smaller then a football. I buy it at the produce store. I'm pretty sure it could be found in the produce section of your supermarket. It has just 42 calories for a 1 cup serving.
I like spaghetti squash, too (one of the maybe 5 veggies I can actually tolerate ), but it can be difficult to find depending on where you live. We had them here for a few weeks in the late fall, but I haven't been able to find any at my regular grocery stores or even Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for well over a month now (I actually even just looked yesterday!). I wish they were available year-round, as it's a fabulously low-cal spaghetti substitute for me. I love it with a hearty sauce (pureed spinach, tomato sauce, tomato paste, petite diced tomatoes, and turkey sausage).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #44  
3 + years maintaining

Wow Jilly, I have never NOT seen them around here. That stinks that you can't find them all the time. How unfortunate.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #45  

Jilly, I'm in Northern Virginia as well and haven't had a problem finding them. In fact, I went to Super Target today to get a few staples and they had them there. I don't buy them all that often so I don't know if they were recently not there but I know they were today! I wonder why the difference from one store to another. Maybe who they import from?
avsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote