February NSV'S

You're on Page 1 of 17
Go to
  • I thought I'd get the ball rolling. This is a thread where we share our
    Non Scale Victories. For those of you who are not familiar with the term, a NSV is any progress made that doesn't necessarily relate to the number on the scale. It could be a compliment recieved, fitting into clothing better, making a healthier choice and the such. And no, it's not the time to be humble . It's definitely one of my favorite threads. Let's hope it gets filled up quickly with inspiring NSV's. This is a short month so let's get moving!!!

My NSV:

My DH normally drives my 17 year old daughter to school every morning. He had an early appointment and could not do so. Her school is about a 25 minute walk so when he can't take her she walks. She says to me this morning, "Hey, ma, wanna walk me to school?" And I thought about if for a few seconds and said "YES, I'd love too!." Obviously I'd have to walk back as well and I did. It felt great. I've been walking since I started this venture back in September, so I knew that I COULD do it. I walk more then that most days. But to be able to walk my daughter and spend some time with her was great. We had the nicest talk and it was such a nice way to start my day. I beamed all the way home. Just the fact that I was ABLE to was really something for me. She would not have even asked me this 5 months ago. There used to be a time, not that long ago, where taking out the garbage was an effort for me. I tell ya, I'm in heaven right now. Whatever sacrifices I thought I was making in order to make this lifestyle change is nothing, nothing in comparison to what I have already gained.
  • Awesome Robin, just awesome. I'm beginning to make some of those same decisions. My daughter in SIL want to go look at houses today and at first I wasn't going but now I'm going, Lord willing.
  • Hi robin, glad you got the thread started. It's one of my favorite thread. You had such a great NSV and I'm sure your DD loved you walking and chatting with her. WTG.

Carol, for me just getting out of the house more has helped me feel better mentally and physically. Now, if DH is going outside even to pick up firewood to bring in or clean up under the carport or whatever, I go too. Prior to improving my health, I'd sit on the couch instead of going out. Now, when anyone is going anywhere I'm right there with them.

My only NSV is that last night I looked at my Fitday to make my dinner choice and make sure I'd had enough fiber for the day to plan my meal accordingly. This is a first for me. I also wrote out a 2 week menu and a grocery list to go get this evening. I am prepared. I'm kind of snowed in and waiting for DH to get off work to drive me grocery shopping.
  • In spite of knowing there would be a gain on the scale, I went to my WW meeting anyway! I really debated about going, but I've come to the logical conclusion that the number is going to be the same, no matter if I weigh in or not, so might as well go, weigh in and get inspired!

(PS: There was a 1 lb gain, which is MUCH better than I thought it would be! But after six weeks, I am still 7 lbs down, so an average of 1 lb a week--which makes me happy! I'm now convinced that slow steady loss is PERMANENT loss!
  • Carol, same for me like Lily said, if there's somewhere to go or something to be done I'm the first one to do it. To say that that was not always the case is a complete UNDERSTATEMENT. I too would just sit on the couch. Adding movement and activity to my life has been one of my greatest newfound pleasures as you can tell from this mornings post about my walk with my daughter. (I am still on cloud 9). It does make you feel better, both physically AND mentally. If you have an opportunity to go - go. If not, start making your own opportunities. Before you know it you will always want to go and do.

Lily, it seems you're really into your fitday. I'm happy for you. You are adapting so well to yet another new lifestyle. Did you ever think you would be switching things up yet again?

Jen, great going on the 7lbs. Slow and steady wins the race!!!
  • Wow, Jen, what a positive outlook! You are so right, the number is there whether you step up to the scale or not, and you're not letting it stop you. Way to go!
  • Great NSV's everyone....
    You all rock!

Mine happened last night. For dinner I add a big bowl of stir fried veggies with shrimp. I had planned to finish up with a fruit (probably blueberries.) I finished and was on auto pilot enroute to get my fruit and realized that I wasn't hungry any more and was just getting the fruit because I "could" have it. It is not that is would have been bad to eat the fruit, but I felt great because I listened to my body and followed its cues. That is a good change for me.
  • robin, when I first started my lifestyle change I thought I'd do Atkins forever. I thought this all the way to goal. I don't have a problem with the program aside from the fact that I found it impossible to get the fiber that my body needed. For me, the artificial means of fiber simply didn't work. I truly believe that I couldn't have successfully done calorie counting to start with. I had such a ravenous appetite before that I got great comfort from Atkins just knowing that if I was hungry that I could eat another big chunk of chicken, steak or pork to till me up. In all honesty I didn't work the program like I should have. Quick wt. loss was so important to me that I didn't increase my carbs gradually like I should have. I made it to maintenance level only being able to eat 35 carbs without gaining. So the program didn't fail me, I just didn't work it right.

Now, that I'm used to eating less than the probably at least 4000 cal's a day that I ate before starting Atkins, calorie counting is more reasonable for me. I am currently eating 1800 and feeling full to try to maintain my wt. at this range. (I was eating 2300 daily on Atkins). I think Atkins is awesome for quick wt. loss (about a yr. for first 89 lbs.) but to me, calorie counting seems more like something I can do for a lifetime. And OMG, it tastes great to get to have whole wheat pancakes with SF syrup. I love em. I was really sick of eating tons of meat, eggs and cheese. I feel like my food program is far more balanced now and I am getting plenty of fiber and having way less tummy issues. I'm actually having skim milk now after going 1 1/2 yrs. without a single cup of milk. Before, I bet I didn't eat more than 1 slice of bread per month. It's so cool just to be able to have a tuna or turkey sandwich.

After being active on the Atkins forum for the past yr. I saw many others that reached goal through Atkins and then switched to counting calories for life.
  • So far this week my biggest NSV was working out three days in a row. It has been... well, it's been a looooong time since I've done that.
  • I made an appointment for the dr I am months overdue to see him (oct) I hate the doctor, but I will go.
  • My NSV for today.....Saw my MIL a bit ago. She's not had one nice thing to say through the last 60 pounds, and is really sporting that green-eyed monster on her shoulders. Today she actually smiled and said I was melting away to nothing! I was speechless and couldn't even respond.....which is probably a good thing!
  • I began working out again last October, going to my sister's in the mornings and doing it with her. Her oldest is in school but her younger (my avatar) goes to preschool in the afternoons. In the cooldown stretch segments of many videos, there's the front thigh stretch where you are on the floor leaning to the side, and grab the front of your shoe or your ankle and hold your leg bent behind you. I could never grab either so I would have Maggie push my leg back so I could curl my fingers in the back of my shoe, and even that was tough!

Obviously you can see my NSV is today, I was able to grab the back of my shoe all by myself.

Oh, and on another note, my pants are getting longer - less bulk inside holding them up!
  • In control of office food
    So every once and a while the office does some sort of lunch order out, most often for the monthly birthdays. I've been staying away from any and all take out and office food since I started and have really restricted myself. I knew in advance that they were doing pizza today so I planned for it. I had a big scoop of salad skipping the dressing and 2 slices of veggie pizza (the smallest ones). I skipped the soda and brought my water and they forgot to order the usual tray of cookies and brownies ...but I really think that if they had ordered them or chips or anything that I wouldn't have been interested.

People around here know I'm 'dieting', as well as have just quit smoking and stopped really drinking too... so they were surprised to see me 'eating pizza' cause I'm 'on a diet' but it was fine, because I was totally in control of it, paid attention, ate slow, skipped the extras and stopped when I was full. It really gave me the feeling of having normal eating habits, while I watched as on guy from our office at 12, no I'm not kidding, 12 pieces of pizza. I felt confident and strong. it was great

Also someone came into my cube to bum a cigarette yesterday and I actually used the words 'sorry, I quit 3 weeks ago'... that was the first time I've actually said that I've quit out loud, it sort of makes it real. Its still a struggle but hey..its a start!
  • I got one! I walked 30 whole minutes on the treadmill and survived!. After about 15 minutes I wanted to give up but I kept telling myself 'one more song on the Ipod' and that's how I made it through!
  • I reporting in with two in one week.....
    my DH took the older three girls out to the movies and Taryn is in watching "Barney." In the past this would be prime binge time. Yet here I am with my nice cup of white tea, keeping my fingers busy checking in with you all!!!

NESunshine: I just wanted to let you know how great you are doing to give up smoking and stay on plan. That is just a wonderful gift for yourself. I never smoked but as a nurse I know how addicting it is. You should be so very proud of yourself!