Old 01-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #1  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Default Eating less red meat

Hi All!

My husband and I are meat lovers, but we have been eating less red meat over the last few years. We still have plenty of chicken and turkey and an occasional piece of pork.

I was raised vegetarian but really had no trouble getting used to meat once I met my boyfriend (now my husband) whose family were BIG meat eaters.

My weight gain began when I married and ended up doing all the cooking. I'm wondering how many of the pounds went on because I began to eat meat.

Conversely, I'm wondering if by eating even LESS meat than I do now if losing weight will happen faster for me. It seems like a good idea, but I don't know if I can ever go back to being a vegetarian!

For those of you who follow my Plateau Plight (210 pounds for forever it seems!), I have lost a pound FINALLY and am trying to think of as many things as I can that may help me break through my plateau even more!

Any ideas?

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Cheryl are you considering giving up the meat because you are tired of it or because you thinK it will aid in your weightloss? And by meat, do you mean chicken and pork as well? What about fish?

I very rarely eat red meat, it was never a favorite of mine. Although my family loves it. I eat white meat chicken probably 5 or 6 times a week. It can't be beat as far as protein/carb/fat/calorie ratio. It is super high in protein and fairly low on the rest of the stuff. There is so much you can do with it and I enjoy it. For me it is a near perfect food.

If you don't eat meat, what will you eat in its place? I think that could be key.

As far as busting your plateau, I'm wondering how many calories you were/are consuming. Do you count calories? Maybe you can give us a typical menu of yours. We'd love to help you out and see where you can tweak it a bit.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #3  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

I have giving up all red meat, and now thinking of poultry, I just feel so much better eating grains, beans and veggies........Might cut out all meat soon.....and stick with tofu and veggie burgers..... I cant tell you how much better....Meatless
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #4  
On my way to 160!

Hi Robin!

I LOVE all kinds of meat but am wondering if just eating LESS of it will help me to lose more weight.

I don't have a "typical" meal plan, but here's what I had to eat today and the exercise I did:

Shoveled walkway and driveway and scraped ice and snow off three cars (one hour total)(Water)

Breakfast-Shredded wheat with strawberries and skim milk, 1/2 cup OJ and my vitamins

Housework (laundry, dishes, bathrooms, vacuuming etc.)(Water)

Break-checked e-mail, visited 3FC and had snack (1 tsp. crunchy peanut butter on a bran crispbread cracker, apple, and water)

I hour Turbo Jam (liter of water)

Lunch- Cavatelli with mushrooms, fat-free yogurt, tea, 1/4 cup dried prunes

Cleaned cupboards, started dinner, carried 10 boxes from garage to car

Snack and break -banana and crushed almonds, water, read paper and wrote in my journal, checked e-mail and visited 3FC

Shoveled MORE snow! (1/2 hour)

Dinner- Thin pork chops, brown rice, green and yellow wax beans with carrots. a cup of skim milk

Tried T'ai Chi for first time! (1/2 hour) (water)

TV time for Cheryl...Whew!

I also plan to have some cereal around 9:00PM or so.

I'm new to calorie counting but am aiming at between 1600-1800 a day. I'm mostly focusing on eating healthy foods, watching fats, and getting enough fiber and water. I'm trying to keep as active as I can.

Oh, and I am TRYING to get at least seven hours of sleep a night!

I think that's about it!

Cheryl
Old 01-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #5  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl14 View Post
Hi Robin!

I LOVE all kinds of meat but am wondering if just eating LESS of it will help me to lose more weight.

I don't have a "typical" meal plan, but here's what I had to eat today and the exercise I did:

Shoveled walkway and driveway and scraped ice and snow off three cars (one hour total)(Water)

Breakfast-Shredded wheat with strawberries and skim milk, 1/2 cup OJ and my vitamins

Housework (laundry, dishes, bathrooms, vacuuming etc.)(Water)

Break-checked e-mail, visited 3FC and had snack (1 tsp. crunchy peanut butter on a bran crispbread cracker, apple, and water)

I hour Turbo Jam (liter of water)

Lunch- Cavatelli with mushrooms, fat-free yogurt, tea, 1/4 cup dried prunes

Cleaned cupboards, started dinner, carried 10 boxes from garage to car

Snack and break -banana and crushed almonds, water, read paper and wrote in my journal, checked e-mail and visited 3FC

Shoveled MORE snow! (1/2 hour)

Dinner- Thin pork chops, brown rice, green and yellow wax beans with carrots. a cup of skim milk

Tried T'ai Chi for first time! (1/2 hour) (water)

TV time for Cheryl...Whew!

I also plan to have some cereal around 9:00PM or so.

I'm new to calorie counting but am aiming at between 1600-1800 a day. I'm mostly focusing on eating healthy foods, watching fats, and getting enough fiber and water. I'm trying to keep as active as I can.

Oh, and I am TRYING to get at least seven hours of sleep a night!

I think that's about it!

Cheryl

Dang girl, can you come oer and clean my house
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Hi, Cheryl I've read if your having trouble with a plateau you should check out the food your eating as far as HFCS(High fructose corn syrup). It is in many of the fat free and low fat foods and our brain does not recognize the calories as food. Just a suggestion.
Sharon
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #7  
On my way to 160!

Thanks for the tip, Sharon! I will check that! Is there any amount of it that would be acceptable or should ALL of it be eliminated?

Cheryl
Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #8  
On my way to 160!

Thanks for the tip, Sharon! I will check that! Is there any amount of it that would be acceptable or should ALL of it be eliminated?

Cheryl
Old 01-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I use TVP (little soy nuggets from the health food store) to extend ground beef for chili, tacos.... It's lower in fat and calories than the beef, but we like the flavor the beef adds to the tvp. But meatless definitely doesn't mean low cal. One of the largest women I ever met was VEGAN (no meat eggs or dairy). She had even given up wheat.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Cheryl - I have a LOT of luck with cutting out sugar, eating whole foods, sounds like you are doing pretty good! I would maybe add more veggies, aiming for 4-5 cups a day.. tips for getting extra in? Cut up a tomato for breakfast, peanut butter with celery, steamed broccoil (with roasted garlic - yummy!). I find veggies really really help with my weight loss, and I've been limited my fruits lately. I am babbling.. keep up the good work!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Speaking of veggies, japanese eggplant (shaped like a thin zucchini not a large water balloon) makes a great meat replacement. I absolutely hate the big fat eggplant. It's bitter and just yucky, but the japanese eggplant is great roasted or in stir-fries. I just learned that an asian restaurant in town will make me my favorite light stir fry "beef and eggplant," without the beef - after I jokingly complained that I had wished there was more eggplant and less beef. The owner said they would make it without the beef - and it would be cheaper too! Cool!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:17 AM   #12  
On my way to 160!

Thanks Colleen and Aimee for the tips! I'm trying different things in hopes of getting FINALLY to ONEderland. I didn't think it would take me this long to lose these TEN POUNDS, though! The old (55) body gets more stubborn as each year passes! I AM having great success with getting it to be firmer, though, through all the exercise that I do! I have lost quite a few inches.

THat's interesting about the vegan lady weighing a lot. Somehow I just always thought of vegetarians as skinny minnies! I know my MOM is!

I like all kinds of veggies, so adding more is definitely not a problem. Eggplant is one of the veggies we eat a lot because my family LOVES eggplant parm with the rice spaghetti noodles.

I LOVE soybeans, but some soy products don't seem to agree with me. I often make cakes with rice flour and tapioca flour because my future daughter-in-law cannot have any gluten. I've never tried TVP but have heard of it.

As I mentioned, I LOVE meat, especially RED MEAT, but realize that we had been eating WAY too much of it. We're trying to eat less of it and substitute foods with less calories.

I really have to always watch portions, too! I can easily eat WAY to much of a food if I'm not careful!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning Cheryl,

I don't see where you're eating too much meat. In fact I might even add more. Like for lunch. Instead of the cavatelli with mushrooms, how about a grilled chicken cutlet with vegetables. Or 3 -4 ozs, of turkey breast with a salad. Or a can of solid tuna in water with a salad.

I also don't think you're getting enough fiber. I checked fitday for the shredded wheat, it is not all that nutritous. 1 cup has 180 cals and only 4.9 gms fiber. Maybe switch to a high fiber cereal, such as Kashi Go Lean - it has 140 cals per cup, 14 gms. protein, 10 gms. fiber. My breakfast is 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean with 1/2 cup of Fiber One Cereal. Fiber One has 14gms of fiber per 1/2 cup serving. Me personally, I don't drink juice. Too much sugar and too many calories. It has 57 cals and 13.5 gms carbs per 1/2 cup.

Instead of having cereal at night perhaps you can have a 3-egg white omlette with some veggies. I went through a phase where I would have an omlette every day. I sauteed a bunch of veggies, onions, spinach, mushrooms and red peppers. I made enough for the whole week and would add it to my omlettes.

Do you have a fitday.com account? I was wondering if you know exactly how many calories you are eating. You might be surprised to see exactly how much the number is. I'd be curious to know. You may be eating more then you think, which could be why you're having a rough time as of late. Why not add them up for a day or 2, measuring everything and see what you come up with and get back to us.

We'll find something that works for ya, promise.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #14  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Cheryl,

Congratulations again for breaking that plateu! And,Thanks for sharing your menu with us. I agree with Robin....more protein might help with your weight loss. Maybe you can add a scambled egg or two pieces of turkey bacon for breakfast. I would also be very careful with having too much fruit. Two pieces/types a day might be a good goal. I would also aim for more veggies. Vegetables are complex carbohydrates that help fuel your body, but don't contribute greatly to insulin spikes. Fruit does have a lot of sugar...its natural sugar...but, it can still make losing weight very difficult. We took orange juice out of the house and are encouraging our girls to eat the orange instead. The added fiber from the orange slows down the absorption of the sugar in their bodies and helps prevent insulin spikes. Also, they end up getting less sugar as the amount of juice in one orange is less than a cup of OJ. I would also be very careful with nuts, including peanut butter. These have healthy fats and are very beneficial to our diets. But, too many nuts= too much fat. I recommend sticking with one portion of nuts a day.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:27 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Hi Cheryl sorry I didn't answer your question last night. Have a 4 y/o I had to take care of. The HFCS is in all kinds of things and if you are at a plateau to cut it out completely may help. There is an article on it if you google it like this high fructose corn syrup weight loss. Natural sugar is not a bad thing I keep my sugar under 4 grams per serving, minimize the artificial sweetners, they are also linked to having problems with plateaus. Real nuts like walnuts give us our omega-3 if you do not eat fish they are a great alternative. Rhonda is correct you should limit it but don't cut them out of your plan.
Sharon
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote