Old 01-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I am venturing out tonight. I bought some Tilapia filets and we are going to have that (anyone have some good recipes for itt?? - I need to do a search) We always have a big salad - that is one of my "splurges" every few days at the grocery - I buy several bags of the different mixed greens and then mix them altogether here at home and keep them in a huge tupperware bowl! And then of course some vegies......either broccoli or california blend.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #77  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For tilapia, I usually make fish tacos with it. You can grill it, broil it, bake it or I usually pressure cooker it with various spices. Since it is a mild flavored fish, you can do a lot with it depending on what spices you use.

Tonight my dinner is a shrimp pasta dish. Should be good Lots of veggies, shrimp and pasta.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #78  

Well, I think I will do a cajun inspired fish - spice it up some. DH is not fond of the wild salmon, (which I love) so I thought I would try a milder fish for him. We both love spicy though, so I will go with that tonight. (thanks Nelie)
Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #79  
hara hachi bu

I'm glad I posted here last night! After my TOPS group I started playing mind games with myself: "I don't have to weigh in for another week, I have $20 cash on me, if I don't cook anything tonight I don't have to do dishes, meeting a friend for dinner would be perfect ..." but I came home and made my curried vegetables instead. Yay!

Tonight, I'm making pizza with feta cheese, chicken, black olives, green peppers, red peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 265.5/258/160

Height: 5'9"

One of the ways I find I have sabatoged my diet in the past is not being prepared. So my dh and I plan out our meals for the week on Sunday and do a big shop for all the ingredients needed. Then we cook two extra portions of our dinner meals so we can take it for lunch the next day (saves lunch prep time in the AM!).

The menu for dinner tonight is Turkey & White Bean Chili with a Tri-Color Salad (both recipes taken from the South Beach Meals in 30 Minutes or Less Cookbook). It'll be our first time trying this recipe...so I hope it is good!

Holly
disappearingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #81  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Mrs. Quadcrew, we love tilapia or any mild fish sprinkled heavily with Old Bay, then lightly sauted in a bit of olive oil on the stove top. Quick and easy! If you're on WW, it also gets in a healthy oil for the day.

I need to go back and re-read this whole thread, I have no idea what's for dinner tonight, and I just might get some inspiration!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #82  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Mrs. Quadcrew, we love Talapia in our house, even my picky teenage daughters.

I put it in a pan and squeeze fresh lemon juice over it. Then I spread crushed fresh garlic on it. I sprinkle it with some onion powder, a little salt and pepper and a little paprika. I use about 1 TBS of softened butter to which I add about 2 TBS. of flavored corn flake crumbs. This is for 4 fillets by the way. I then sprinkle the crumbs over the fish. Bake at 350' for about 30 mins. It's quite good, delicious in fact.

I think for tonight I will be making salmon fillets with broiled tomatoes.

I'll be serving it with red lentil soup. It is the easiest, yummiest soup. If anyone wants the recipe let me know. Threre's like 6 ingredients in it. It's delish and it makes a big pot and we have it all week.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #83  

Thanks for the recipes for the tilapia!! I am hoping DH likes it, he isn't fond of the salmon. (but he will eat it because I am and he is trying to support me here!!) I just want to fix things we all can eat and enjoy. This is going to be forever for us - not just a little while, so I really want to have some great new recipes to use. You all are WONDERFUL!!

And Robin......I would love to have the Red Lentil Soup recipe too!! (TIA!)
Old 01-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #84  
3 + years maintaining

Red Lentil Soup

2 large onions, diced
4 -6 portabello mushroom caps, cleaned out and diced
2 - 6 oz. cans tomato paste
12 cups chicken or vegetable bouillion
2 - 2 1/2 cups red lentil (depending on your preference, how thick you like it)
Olive Oil

In a large soup pot, saute' the onions in the oil til lightly browned over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes or so. Add the bouillion, lentils and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 mins, or until lentils are soft, not mushy.

It reheats beautifully. It's really delish. I even serve it for company. They ooh and ahh every time. Maybe later (or tomorrow) when I have time I will figure out the exact nutritional facts.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #85  

Thanks!! It sounds wonderful. I LOVE mushrooms and onions and lentils!! I can't wait to try it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #86  
3 + years maintaining

Most Friday nights we have the same meal. No matter what it is we're having it always starts out with Chicken Soup. I make a big pot of it and freeze it into 5 separate quart containers. It freezes/reheats beautifully. So since I am out of the soup I will be making it today and freezing it. I'm the only one in the house that will eat the breast so that will be my dinner. I use parsnips and sweet potatos to flavor the soup but have never frozen that. So with the chicken breast I will have a 1/2 sweet potato and 1/2 parsnip.

Now to figure out what to make for the kiddies.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #87  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Tonight is leftovers of last night being pasta with garlicky shrimp, tomatoes and artichokes with a side of green beans.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:21 PM   #88  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
One of the ways I find I have sabatoged my diet in the past is not being prepared. So my dh and I plan out our meals for the week on Sunday and do a big shop for all the ingredients needed. Then we cook two extra portions of our dinner meals so we can take it for lunch the next day (saves lunch prep time in the AM!).
I do the EXACT same thing. Its SUCH a relief knowing that not only do I have everything I need to make dinner at hand when I get home from the gym at 8, but I have a healthy lunch prepared for the next day as well. It also keeps me from a horrible pitfall I used to fall into - eating like a bird all day and binging at dinner. The equal portions of lunch and dinner help me to eat more consistently all day long to keep the fires of my metabolism going.

Yesterday was pork tenderloin marinated in mandarin, garlic, soy, and ginger (with a litte bit of mandarin zest thrown in the bag...yummy) and roasted, with WW couscous and steamed broccoli.

Tonight is smoky mini turkey meatloaves, roasted red potato, and sauteed green cabbage. The meatloaves are super simple (I know I've posted the recipe on here before, but I'll post it again because I love it so much):

1 - 20oz pkg ground turkey
1/2 large onion, chopped
3/4 cup grated carrot (grated zucchini works fabulously as well)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp soy sauce
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

4 tbsp smoky bbq sauce

This is my basic recipe - for tonight, though, to make them smokier, I'll add in some chili powder and cumin.

Mix all ingredients but the bbq sauce, folding gently with a fork (be careful not to overmix!). Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide the meat mixture into eight equal balls and place in 8 holes of your muffin tin. Press down slightly in the center, and top each with a teaspoon of the reserved bbq sauce.

Place the muffin tin on a cookie sheet to catch drips (the cups of the muffin tin will be full) and bake for 25-30 minutes. When the meatloaves have 10 minutes remaining, brush them with the remaining bbq sauce.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #89  
hara hachi bu

Thanks, Mandalinn! That meatloaf might make my weekend menu.

I have to plan, too. I'm normally not much of a planner, but I have to have a few meals planned each week. I finally am admitting to myself that even though my son moved out of the house and now I live alone, I still have to cook.

Good point about equal portions at lunch and dinner. I tend to make my daytime meals light and then have a free-for-all at dinner.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 PM   #90  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I forgot to say - a serving of that meatloaf is 2 mini-loaves/muffin cups, and it has about 180 calories.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote