3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Ack! The dreaded snowball! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/102548-ack-dreaded-snowball.html)

MaWhit 01-20-2007 02:00 AM

Ack! The dreaded snowball!

I've been doing pretty well all month, exercising regularly, eating well, etc. Eliminating gluten from my diet has really helped to curb my appetite as well as relieve a number of other unpleasant symptoms. (Gluten intolerance/Celiac is in my family.) The past two days I've been eating gluten again and my appetite (and temper) are out of control again. Unfortunately, it is also addictive, and I'm kicking myself for slipping up.

I'd appreciate any encouragement to get back on track and take charge again. I need to NOT let this setback become permanent, as has happened before. It's just 2 days; there's no need for it to become 20 or 200.

I hate it when I lose my momentum! :^:Help!

Casey4 01-20-2007 12:01 PM

Okay, here it comes......

You can do this. These foods are not in control, you are. Are you keeping a food journal? You should start if you are not. It gives you control when you need it most. Tell yourself that your commitment to this process is stronger than the call of any food item. Another thing I do when I get tempted is start reading posts. The success posts, the inspirational sayings posts, the NSV posts are excellent motivators. Brush your teeth, go for a walk, come here and post, clean the bathroom, have a cup of decaf tea--anything to get you through the moment! You already did a great thing by recognizing you needed support and asking for it. Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming!:hug:

Kathy

GirlyGirlSebas 01-20-2007 12:05 PM

Hi MaWhit,

This is merely a bump in your road. Don't let this get you down and throw you off track. Get back on the road and keep going! One step at a time. We are here for you!

Monkeybabies 01-20-2007 01:11 PM

Hey MaWhit...well, you have acknowledged the problem, and try to avoid it next time. Don't throw in the towel just yet. You have been doing a great job...and you have come so far (one month or so), don't let a little slip up take over. Back on track!

Cheryl14 01-21-2007 02:54 AM

Hi, MaWhit!

My future daughter-in-law was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease six months ago. She went cold turkey on eliminating ALL GLUTEN from her diet and feels 100% better. She's a distance runner and was getting thoroughly frustrated with having to run into the bushes to poop three or four times in a 15 mile run. She also felt bloated and had pain in her stomach before eliminating the gluten from her diet. She had been on medication for seven years prior to her diagnosis and was needing to increase her meds.

We have incorperated many gluten-free recipes into our diet after trying them and liking them even though none of the rest of us have Celiac Disease. We like the recipes that have the tapioca flour, potato starch, and rice flour much more than those made with the soy and other flours. I would be happy to give you any of the recipes that I have made.

My husband's birthday is today, and I am making a cake with the above-mentioned flours so that ALL of us can enjoy his birthday. The cake tastes just like regular yellow cake, and I feel good knowing that a few small changes help her feel like a part of our family.

In the research I have done there are MANY recipes that taste GREAT! She watches everything she eats and checks all the labels because she LOVES the way she feels now. She's training now for an ULTRA (a run of over 26.2 miles and has completed 5 marathons so far.)

Think of gluten as POISON to your system, and you will stay on track! The gluten really CAN harm you! There are these little things called VILLI that the gluten destroys in your intestine. I don't think you can regrow them. I also found out from a lady in Wild Oats Market that the average person suffers with gluten issues for ELEVEN YEARS before being diagnosed. Apparently doctors don't screen for it regularly.

Stay tough! You can do this! My future daughter-in-law is also a vegetarian like my mom, so we have added LOTS more vegetarian dishes to our everyday menu. I'm finding that eating veggie helps keep the weight under control as a bonus!

Cheryl

DramaQueenLucy 01-21-2007 06:56 AM

MaWhit,

You can get back on track don't let the gluten monster win! I know how hard it is to get beck on track now but think about how much harder it would be if you waited. The first part of your battle is already won yes it is you admitted that you had a problem that is half the battle. You can do!!!
Hugs

MaWhit 01-21-2007 07:22 PM

Thanks, everyone. I try to say those supportive words to myself, but I hear them so much better from an outside source.

Cheryl, my youngest two kids have Celiac, as does a cousin of mine. I know this will get easier. Thank you.