3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   How many of us have skinny sisters? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/102358-how-many-us-have-skinny-sisters.html)

famograham 01-17-2007 10:41 PM

How many of us have skinny sisters?

I was just reading the "I wanna stay fat because" thread and Shelby897 pointed out this little fact...many of us seem to have skinny sisters.

I know I certainly do :yes: My sister is 7 years older than me, and weighs *maybe* 105 pounds. She is 8 months pregnant right now, with her second child. When she's not pregnant, she weighs under 90 pounds...and has to buy girl's clothing or a size 000. She's not anorexic..but she is a maniacal health nut. So, basically...I outweigh her by about 150 pounds (OMG!!!! :cry: I just did the math!!! :cry:)

I can feel her judgement every secone of every minute we're together. She definitely has judgement issues in her own life and I wonder if they are because of ME?

When I was younger, I idolized her...wanted to BE her. However, now that I know her better...and myself..I know that she most definitely has her issues in life and I may just be the happier healthier person.

Does anyone else have a skinny sister whom they struggle with?

:hug:
Linda

wchs2007 01-17-2007 10:51 PM

Only child here.. But Understand about the skinny sisters..
My sister in-law has always been so skinny.. Till lately that is..
It does not matter how much weight I have lost.. My weight could be 50 lbs less than hers and she would always see herself as smaller...
I have lost a little over 100 lbs and she still has not said a word..

shelby897 01-17-2007 11:06 PM

Hi. I think I started this conversation :)

One skinny, one overweight sister -- skinny sister has same eating issues as me, just much more active than I am, but she has been known to "enlarge" from time to time. We actually get along very well however she loves to preach weight loss to me which drives me crazy!!!! Other sister is overweight and very insecure about herself -- we haven't talked in a long time due to lots of issues.

Okay, how about -- overweight moms? I have one of those :D

Trazey34 01-17-2007 11:13 PM

yup, i have a 6 years older sister, who's about 120 lbs. soaking wet, AND she's about 5'3 and petite, god i hate her ;) hahaha KIDDING!

I look at my family dynamic and this is what i've come up with!

My mom is small too -- she doesn't eat much, hates to exercise
My dad is tall and big but NOT fat at all -- LOVES to eat, eats like a starving wolverine BUT hikes all day, chops wood, is very very active.

I got the best of both of them -- LOVE to eat HATE to exercise ;)

My sister got the exercise gene and simply will NOT ALLOW herself to be fat

**sigh** I wish I had that determination, but alas, I do not LOL

I just want to get down to a reasonable weight, just to be "regular" fat!!!

RememberHowToSmile 01-18-2007 12:21 AM

I have two sisters one overweight (18 months older then me) and one that is thin (14 months younger then me). I think they both have eating issues like I do.

I have to agree with Shelby and Tracy that I think my younger sister just wont let her get fat. She’s always been very active, still is, and doesn’t eat much. But she has very poor eating habits, which I try and talk to her about. (But who wants to take advice from your sister about food who is 100+ pounds over weight). She will either eat one meal a day or graze on junk food all day.

My older sister, is like me, and has always been chunky and not very active. Since gained a lot of weight after she got her drivers license in High School because she would eat fast food all the time. Which still holds true today there are many days when I talk to her and she eat at Burger King or Wendy’s twice a day.

It is interesting that my younger sister is supportive of me loosing weight but I think my older sister is very insecure about it (She doesn't do anything or say anything specific I just get this vibe). I’ve been bigger than her for the last 5 years and now I think she feels threatened that I loosing so much.

JackieB 01-18-2007 12:58 AM

I've come to the conclusion that my sister and I will always be opposite!! Growing up she was the thinner one....never over a size 4. I was heavy as a pre-teen into my early teens. I worked my boo-tay off and eventually got down to (an unrealistic) size 2. After 2 kids she, for obvious reasons, shot up in weight. These days she's back to a size 8ish....still thin. I'm back up to a 12/14. I love listening to her complain about the days when she was a size 4. I'd kill to be an 8 again!!!

Reddalice 01-18-2007 02:34 AM

My sister, two years my junior, has always weighed 115-125 pounds- and me? The earliest weight I remember was be weighed at 90 pounds in front of the class when everyone else was only 75- it would seemed I jumped from being 75lbs to 220 and then 240, where did those in between numbers go? LoL. She has always been the hyper one and I have always been the artist and chubby swim team girl (Blue Ribbons in back stroke, baby! Who says a big girl can't haul ***?). Recently she has gotten an inactive boyfriend who lives on fast food and spends all days working on cars and feeding her Taco Bell.

She's put on the 12 pounds I have lost and I am really starting to feel the dynamics change. As to where she use to cockily call me a cow- she is becoming a little insecure in herself and now lives in her boyfriends baggy sweaters. She use to wear a tank and the low cut jeans, pelvic bone sticking out, *** crack a millimeter from saying Hello To The World. When I revamped my lifestyle she was supportive saying- It won't work this time, it hasn't before. YE HAVE LITTLE FAITH, SKINNY GRASSHOPPER! It is working and now the drama plays out with her trying to persuade me to eat cheese burgers, lasagna, milkshakes, pastries, and attempts to dissuade me from going to the gym. I doubt she is intentionally trying to thwart me, she says she just wants to share. >.>

Anyone having issues with an insecure sister?

finn 01-18-2007 05:24 AM

:( I've got an overweight mother, an overweight older sister (I used to weight the same/more than them) and a thinner older sister (not real skinny about european size 14). None of them have EVER mentioned to me that I've been losing weight....and to be honest its pretty obvious especially as I see them only about once every 5/6 weeks.
They don't sabotage my efforts but certainly no comments or encouragement. It totally wrecks my head but theres nothing I can do. :(

BarrieMomof2 01-18-2007 06:37 AM

I do I do!!

I have 2 older sisters who have always been super skinny. And then there's me...the youngest and the biggest!
They've always been really thin and after I hit about 13, I've been the complete opposite.

I know, its sucks when you see them and are jealous...turns me right to food.:o

rockinrobin 01-18-2007 06:49 AM

I have one sibling a 3 1/2 year older sister. I wouldn't call her skinny, but she's never, ever been obese or even close. In fact the heaviest she's ever been has been recently she went up to about 150 lbs and only 5 feet tall. As we were growing up and even as adults, just for as long as I can remember, she's 46, I'm 43 she was always, always major dieting. And not smartly. Practically starving herself. She and none of my family have ever, ever mentioned my weight, weird. Not even in a constructive manner. Although she's never been obese she's also never been married or had very many friends and has many social phobias and anxieties. She has been on depression/anxiety medication for a long time. Since we grew up in the same household, I beleive we have some of the same issues. I ate, she retreated.

Recently, when she did blow up to 150 lbs, with my help she has now lost over 20 lbs. Funny that the fat sister had to help the not so fat sister. I got her into exercising, something she has NEVER done. And I passed along some of my new lifestyle eating habits. And for the first time she's EATING instead of starving herself and she's losing weight. Spoke to her yesterday and she told me for the first time in her life she's exercising every day for 8 weeks straight now. It made me feel good that I could help her. I wish we were closer, but she has a lot of issues and we have totally different lifestyles, we just don't care for one another very much. It's very sad.

shelby897 01-18-2007 07:54 AM

I have two sisters, one I'm close to and one I'm not, so I understand what it's like to not be close, it stinks!! You were so great to help her out on her diet/better eating -- what a great sister you are! My skinny sister is supportive but did suggest the other day maybe it was time I try weight loss surgery -- is that positive or has she given up on me too? Way, way in the past when I did lose a lot of weight and was thin my mother, who has always struggled, was quick to point out I would probably not stay that way. What a supportive family!! But, unfortunately she was right, I didn't stay that way. My oldest sister is a fast food junky who unfortunately smokes like a chimmney -- we all have lots of issues with her that would take months to cover! I don't know, I think our whole family dynamic is what started most of our struggles. Wish we could start over with a "normal" family!!!

rockinrobin 01-18-2007 08:02 AM

A "normal" family??? You mean there are "normal" families out there? Well then, why was I passed over for one? I WANT TO START OUT WITH A NORMAL FAMILY TOO!!! :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

crazynette826 01-18-2007 08:21 AM

I don't think anyone has a "normal" family. I know I sure don't. I don't have any sisters, but I do have an overweight mom and dad. They both have been overweight my whole life. My mom has lost over 50 lbs over the last two years, still has some to lose, but looks pretty good and is still working at it. My dad on the other hand had started to lose weight, and then went to the doc for a physical, and all the tests they ran came back fine. So he's got the thought that he's perfectly healthy, why lose weight. Kind of frustrating, but I can't lose it for him. I do have a younger brother that when we were growing up was thin, and used to say that he would never get fat like the rest of us. Then he got married. Over the last two years he's really gained, and now weighs 30 lbs more than me. Kind of weird. Last time I was losing weight, my goal was to weigh less than my brother. Now I do, but more by what he's done than by what I've done.

LondonJulz 01-18-2007 08:58 AM

My sister has always been smaller too. She's older than me. In my moms family, including her, there are 5 girls - 3 of the 5 are obese, 1 is overweight, and one is super-duper skinny. My mom is one who is obese. My dads side are all German and all tall and skinny. The only thing that I got from my dads side of their family is that I'm tall (taller than all my moms bunch who are all 5'3" or under), I have good hair, and I got my dad's looks..... my body, however is like my moms side. This was one big wake up call to me. Up top, the women are all pretty decent - you can still tell they're overweight..... but from their hips/rear and down - wowzer. It seriously looks unrealisitic in proportion to the rest of their bodies. I've noticed I'm a carrier of that gene, my rear/hips are starting to balloon - and there's no way I want to grow up to look like that...... YAY for genetics!

lilybelle 01-18-2007 09:16 AM

I had always been the token "fat" sister. Now, both of my sisters are bigger than me. They are overweight but have never either been obese. They don't mention my wt. loss except to say that I've "gone overboard" or something negative. I definitely feel like the family dynamics have changed.

My mom was always a little overweight, but became very obese when she was put on steroids. However, at one point she was very sick and lost down to 86 lbs. and I hated seeing her looking so terribly weak and frail. My dad and brothers were always very tall and thin.