Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

Angry First week on, and already a setback

I weighed in this morning (one week after starting on my quest to lost weight) , and I am sad to say that I gained 5 pounds!!!!!! I'm not even sure how that's possible, unless it is hormonal, which very well could be it. I know I have to post that in my weekly weigh-in, but it's embarassing.

This seems to be the trend with me. I get all excited and revved up about a "diet" or a plan to lose weight - I'm faithful all the way for about 3 days, then I let myself slip. One slip turns into many slips. So, when I stepped on the scale this morning, quite frankly it pissed me off. Normally, I'd just say "screw the losing weight thing...." and eat some chocolate and potato chips. But this time it was different. It pissed me off in an rear-kicking kind of way. I broke out a Pilates DVD yesterday, and though I was only able to do the first 10 minutes or so - I was SORE today all over my stomach. And, it felt good. So, I did the Pilates again today - and I made myself go a little further with it. Yesterday after Brett (my DH) got home from work, I went and walked on the treadmill in the apartment clubhouse for half an hour. My max speed was 3.0 and I did that speed for probably 5 minutes, the rest of the time it was a speed of 2.5. WELL, tonight - I made myself get out and go to the treadmill. I was on there for about 5 minutes (listening to the IPOD) when I switched over to one of the playlists my husband made. It has a lot of techno remixes on it. I found that I wanted to walk to those beats. I ended up doing a speed of 3.3 for 30 minutes straight! I stared at a screw in the wall in front of me and got off into a zone. My legs burned for about the first 5 minutes at that speed, then the burn went away and was followed by a great feeling. I kept having flashbacks in my head of me in high school. I never had friends, never went to dances, never got involved in any school activities, never got asked out - this all due to my weight. With each flashback, I grew more and more mad which resulted in me being more and more determined. For the first time EVER (as in this has NEVER EVER happened before) - I had beads of sweat rolling down my nose and off of my head. I was so excited at the fact that I was sweating, it pushed me even more. I pushed myself to go 5 minutes extra tonight. What a great and wonderful feeling. It's hard to explain how I felt physically. But, it's definately not a bad feeling at all. I just hope I can keep this up.
Thanks for listening to me rant. I'm glad to have found this board again (you'lls see my join date is back in 2005, but I only came on this board a handful of times.... so I've really just "re-joined" in the last week). I love this board and all of the encouragement.

Julie
LondonJulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

to HECK with those stupid scales!!!!! I can fluctuate 5 lbs. in one day hahaha It's AWESOME that you pulled a ROCKY and "went the distance!!" good for you! Keep focusing on how great that felt, and forget about the dumb scale for a while -- if you keep it up and weigh in 2 or 3 weeks you'll get a big surprise! yay!

speaking of high school.... is it MEAN of me to say that I saw my school's "beauty queen" working at the local Dollar Store and she's fatter than me?? hahahaha I'm SOooooooooooooo evil

Keep up the hard work!! yay!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #3  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

I was sick and eating soup for a while,,,,,In one week gained 10 pounds....it came off with no work at all....just your body getting use to the diet...
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #4  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Love your attitude about your recent physical activity. I have a bunch of dance mixes on my ipod and it totally pumps me up. Glad you sweated..hhhehehhehe, that sounds weird...but good for you. Keep it up Julie!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #5  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Julie!

Welcome back, Julie! Don't worry about the scale! Read over your post that you wrote and FEEL THE PASSION that you now have for creating THE NEW YOU!!!

You will do this!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #6  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Good for you Julie! Never let the numbers on the scale sabatoge you. I've said it before, but I'll say it again - the food you ate the week before you became the model health & exercise nut can be reflected in number you are seeing on the scale today. So that 5 lb gain could be a reflection of foods you ate even before you started your program. Which means....

A big loss next week!
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #7  

Hang in there... I understand scale frustration.. I am one of those people who weighs everyday...
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

What a great way to turn a gain into something great. It sounds like you are really ready to lose the weight. WTG on the treadmill.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #9  
No description available.

Go Julie! Keep doing that and the scale will reflect your hard work (eventually!)
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Keep it up Julie!!!!!

I was that kid in school, too. It really sticks with ya.. but it's great that you can turn it into such a motivation. Go you!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just love how you handled your setback with Mr. Scale (evil dude, ain't he?).
You should be soooo proud of yourself. You got me going. I mean I really WANT to go exercise right now. Good for you. And believe me if you keep that up Mr. Scale will once again be your friend. The first couple of weeks are hard, the body is in shock and confused. But the scale will move downward, without a doubt. Good luck!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #12  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Julie, I am sooooo proud of you! You haven't failed, you've conquered. That's right, conquered. You looked at the scale and got pissed off and became even more determined to be the winner rather than having a pitty party and eating yourself sick. Good for you!!! Stick to it, you CAN and WILL do this!!! Oh, and I totally understand the walking to the beat thing! A friend of my is a personal trainer and she says that fluctuating your speed throughout your workout will give you a more intense workout and burn more calories. Based on this theory, the playlist on my ipod includes moderate and fast paced tracks all mixed together. Without even thinking about it, you will match your stride to the beat! Good luck!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote