Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I've been cutting up a yellow squash and microwaving it for a couple of minutes. (It's like steaming them.) Then I add a packet of splenda to sweeten it up.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #17  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

S/C/G: 278/249/170

Height: 5'9"

On the veggie front. Has anyone tried the new "microwave" bags from birds eye? THEY ARE AMAZING! Pop bag out of freezer directly into microwave and instant perfectly steamed veggies!!! WOW!

Mari
Chestnutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Once a week I take a whole mess of veggies (squash, carrots, celery, red onion, green beans, what ever I am in the mood to put in it) and I toss them in a huge bowl with a couple of shakes of olive oil and balsamic vinegar - then I spread them out on a PAM sprayed baking sheet and roast them at 450 for about 30 minutes. It carmelizes the vegies and makes a wonderful filling for pita sandwiches. I keep them in a ziploc bad in the frig so they are easy to grab. Add a bit of cheese and YUMMM....
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #19  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Talking I decided to try a new veggie this week....

and have loving Kale. I wash it well in a large bowl of cool water, then drain. Next I sauteed garlic in a T of olive oil, cover it and heat until wilted. I take it out of the pan and cook 3 slices of canadian bacon. Cut that up and cut five grape tomatos. I add everything back to the pan and heat for 2-3 minutes. Finally a toss with a bit of LF Jarlsberg cheese. It is a delicious low calorie warm lunch. It was very filling.
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #20  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

When I didn't get to the fresh spinach in time to make salads, I saute a bit of sliced up fresh garlic in olive oil, then add the spinach to the pan, a little at a time. It makes a very good side dish.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #21  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

oooooooohhhh..there are some super ideas here! Thanks for sharing everyone!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Dunno if this counts as a preparation, but I love Trader Joe's frozen veggie combos - I regularly buy an asian combination which has sugar snap peas, green beans, broccoli, water chestnuts, carrots, baby corn, red peppers and mushrooms and just stir fry them with tofu or chicken. It has all the veggies I love right there in one bag, which makes me very happy. Easy and delicious.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #23  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Thumbs up Tonight.....

I roasted zuccinni, yellow squash, red pepper, a couple of baby carrots and for the last ten minutes a few grape tomatos. Served with it up with salmon and it was deeeelicious!
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #24  
Abby's Mommy

Im vegetable-y challenged...I have very few that I like, a few that I'll tolerate if I have to, but mostly, Im like a kid who refuses to try anything new. Its sad really, I know Im missing out on tons of healthy and delicous stuff. Some of your alls ideas sound really good though, like roasting them in the oven. I might try that.....
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Amy - the roasting them in the oven really does make them wonderful! It brings out all the natural sugars in them, and they carmelize......I have a mess of them I am going to cook today. We go through them like crazy here! You can use different cheeses too - cheddar, parmesion, what ever kind you like!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybabies View Post
As like most of you, I am upping my vegetable intake. I think it would help me out if I heard how some of you prepare their veggies. For example, I have never had a brussel sprout. Wouldn't even know how to prepare them.

I'll start....I love green beans...I cook them in boiling water for about 5 minutes, blanch them with cold water, then saute some garlic and oil and put the beans in the pan. Saute until slightly browned. YUMMY!
Brussel sprouts cooked the same way are wonderful!!! A friend of mine just turned me on to that.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote