I just answered the recently-posted thread about what my highest all-time weight was and began thinking of some of the REASONS I got fat. I was a chubby baby but normal size until a couple years after I was married. Here's what I came up with for me... Thought maybe you guys might like to delve into YOUR reasons, too. Great therapy, right?
My reasons I got fat:
1) I stopped weighing myself regularly.
2) I thought it was OK to just buy new clothes IN A BIGGER SIZE.
3) My husband never made any negative comments, so I never really thought too much about my gradual increase in size.
4) I had lots of stress in my job, my life, and ate to medicate and calm myself.
5) I focused on everyone else BUT ME.
6) Somehow I just lost touch with who I was. I became a non-person somehow.
7) I THOUGHT I was being loving by eating right along with my husband one-for-one. Portions were INCREDIBLE!
8) Having two sons and a husband, I was the only girl in a male world. I was losing my femininity!
9) I began wearing MEN'S sweaters and MEN'S tennis shoes because they fit better on my ever-increasing body.
10) Since I wasn't weighing myself regularly anymore, it was much easier to be in denial that the weight was packing onto me.
11) ELASTIC was really my enemy, but I looked to it as my friend!
12) I ignored what was nutritious and went for what tasted good.
13) I lowered my expectations of myself.
14) I threw myself into helping people, doing for others and expecting nothing in return. I think this happened because I did not like myself and thought that nobody else should like me either!
Well, that's what I came up with so far! Fortunately I have been able to get a grip on this much and sorted out many of my mistakes and fumbles! I'm working on OTHER mistakes now. I never ever understood how much of a MENTAL GAME weight gain/weight loss was! I feel like I am having to be a stealth bomber with my body to surprise it into losing more weight!
I'm off to exercise! Everyone...have a GREAT day!