3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Breakfast Ideas???? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/101353-breakfast-ideas.html)

Trazey34 01-06-2007 11:09 AM

Breakfast Ideas????

OK, I'm not a huge fan of breakfast -- only started eating it last year! I'm out of ideas for what to eat, and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm assuming muffins or bagels from where I pick up coffee is a no-no :(

I've read every recipe in the world LOL, but I can't face cooking first thing in the a.m., I usually have a little bit of cottage cheese, a piece of low-fat deli meat, like turkey or ham, and a pear or some other piece of fruit -- as it's compact and I can take it to work and eat it at my desk.

I've tried the lower sugar instant oatmeal and that's not too bad.

What do you guys like to have for breakfast???:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

GirlyGirlSebas 01-06-2007 12:11 PM

Hi Trazey,

I'm on Southbeach, so I usually have 6 ounces of V8 juice and some turkey bacon. I probably should have a bigger breakfast, but breakfast is new to me too. It sounds like you are on track for a healthy breakfast as you are including protein with your carbs. This helps to prevent a sugar spike in your body and helps prevent the mid morning slump.

futuresurferchick 01-06-2007 12:28 PM

I usually have cereal (like GoLean or Fibre1) with skim milk, or toast with peanut butter or sometimes an All-Bran bar... and sometimes I'm good and have fruit with it. :)

howie6267 01-06-2007 12:53 PM

I used to do Kashi every morning but they are really coming out with some bad studies on the effects of soy. That's not why I stopped eating it though. I just found and egg sandwich stays with me a lot longer than a bowl of cereal.

So every morning I have a fried egg sandwich(fried with Pam) with an ounce of sharp cheddar cheese. It keeps me going much longer and it's yummy. I know you said you don't like to cook but it is a quick one to prepare. I stick my bread in to toast and by the time my coffee and toast are done I have the egg fried. About 10 minutes total.

PattyW 01-06-2007 01:01 PM

Here's a few suggestions:

2 scrambled eggs
1 piece of whole wheat toast

Whole grain cereal
Skim milk

Cheese toast (on whole wheat bread)

Oatmeal
Skim milk

Turkey bacon
V-8

Omeletes require a little more prep and cooking but these are pretty easy and might work for you on the weekends when you aren't in a rush to get to work:

Mushroom Omelete (2 eggs, 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, kosher salt, pepper, cooked in 2 teasp of canola oil).

Ranchero Omelete (2 eggs topped with 1 T chopped tomato, 1 T shreaded Monterey Jack cheese, 1/4 teasp. finely chopped jalapeno chilli peppers, 1/2 teasp. cilantro, and 1 T chopped red, green or yellow bell pepper.)

boaterswife 01-06-2007 01:04 PM

Hi Trazey!

I'm on WW, so all of my breakfasts tend to be lower in points. I am a huge oatmeal fan, so I tend to have that for breakfast most weekday mornings as it sticks with me for a long time, and for only 3 points I have a filling start to my day that also includes some calcuim from the milk. I also do fried egg sandwiches, using either Wonder Lite bread or Healthy life bread. Each of these brands are only 1 point for 2 slices! Another FABULOUS breakfast sandwich is a mini omlette, cheese, green pepper and ham sandwich made on a Healthy Life english muffin. Very tasty, and the muffins toast well. I don't recommend the WW english muffins, though. They are the same point value, but sort of have the texture of a sponge. ICK! You can always supplement these breakfast choices with additional fresh fruit!

Spinymouse 01-06-2007 01:18 PM

I do not like any of the traditional breakfast food items and I am very rebellious against the idea that breakfast food has to be different from any other food. Today I had half of a tuna sandwich for breakfast. Sometimes I will cook in the evening, "dinner food" and just put it in the fridge to save for breakfast.

howie6267 01-06-2007 01:24 PM

I used to do the low cal breads but they just put so much extra junk in them that is not needed. I have really been trying to stick to less processed foods. Yes my bread is 100 calories a slice so I only eat one slice. I just cut it in half for my egg sandwich. I think we would all do better if we try and stick with whole foods and stay away from the processed stuff. I buy brownberry bread for the most part but you even have to watch some of there breads have the enriched processed flour or high fructose corn syrup. Not trying to seem snooty here just saying what works for me. What I really love is right next to my office is a Great Harvest Bread store. I by a fresh loaf once a week to keep at the office. I like to have a slice with peanut butter and jelly or make toast with butter and jelly.

cupcake84 01-06-2007 02:40 PM

one of my new fave breakfasts is like a egg white burrito, i just scramble some egg whites, onion , green pepper and a small bit of ham, put it in one of the fat free 40 cal tortillas with a slice of fat free cheese and some salsa.

you could probably make this the night before, just add the salsa after you nuke it?

CLCSC145 01-06-2007 02:40 PM

I don't like doing a lot of work in the morning so I cook up 4 servings of steel cut oatmeal (Quaker has one now) at a time and put it in 4 containers in the fridge (makes a cup each). In the morning, I grab one, pour in a little milk and nuke it for 2 minutes. A quick stir and it's like it just simmered for 20 minutes! I'll eat that with a tangerine and some almonds, or I'll stir in a sliced banana and some walnuts. Other days, I'll have an egg or two like Howie (cooked in non-stick spray), a piece of fruit, and a glass of milk.

melsfolly 01-06-2007 02:43 PM

I don't have time to cook during the week, so most of my weekday breakfast menus include the instant low sugar oatmeal, a piece of fruit and a glass of milk. But about once every month or two I make a batch of cinnamon rolls to keep up in the freezer for those days that I want something sweet (low fat crescent rolls each molded around 8-20 mini marshmallows then rolled in a combination of cinnamon and spenda - baked in a muffin tin sprayed with Pam). And on the weekends I will sometimes make the No Bread French Toast (which I found on someone's blog a couple of years ago) - which is 1 egg, 1/4 c egg whites, splenda and cinnamon whisked together. Cook it just like you do omelettes. Remove from heat when firm & dust it with a little more Splenda and 2 tsp of light maple syrup. Mmmmm, mmmmm good! And in case you can't tell - cinnamon is one of my favorite things in the world! :D

Melissa

108tolose 01-06-2007 02:53 PM

I eat oatmeal almost every day. I love it and it's easy.

Heather 01-06-2007 03:19 PM

You didn't say if you're following a particular plan, so some of these may not work for you:

- My husband loved the sausage mcmuffins, so I make my own version. Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patty (65 cals), 1 slice lowfat cheese, and a light whole wheat english muffin. Toast the muffin and when it's done, heat the sausage and slap on the cheese. Sometimes I add an egg white (cooked with Pam), and it's more a sub of the sausage egg mcmuffin.

- whole wheat pita (1 oz) toasted. Add 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 small banana and a dash of cinnamon.

- A breakfast "smoothie" -- play around with it. Fruit and yogurt whipped in a blender...

- oatmeal (I just use old fashioned quaker) and then add frozen blueberries after it's cooked...

melissalaurel 01-06-2007 03:32 PM

I've been going easy on breakfast and saving my ww points for when I'm actually hungry. This morning I had a big cup of hot decaff tea (0 pts!) and a small frozen store brand bagel with 2tbsp of cream cheese for 5 pts, which is not bad at all. I'm sure one of the regular size bagels are too big but the small ones are just enough. When I'm really in a rush I eat a Pria bar.
Good luck finding some great breakfast foods.

susie_sunshine 01-06-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howie6267 (Post 1519269)
I used to do the low cal breads but they just put so much extra junk in them that is not needed. I have really been trying to stick to less processed foods. Yes my bread is 100 calories a slice so I only eat one slice. I just cut it in half for my egg sandwich. I think we would all do better if we try and stick with whole foods and stay away from the processed stuff. I buy brownberry bread for the most part but you even have to watch some of there breads have the enriched processed flour or high fructose corn syrup. Not trying to seem snooty here just saying what works for me. What I really love is right next to my office is a Great Harvest Bread store. I by a fresh loaf once a week to keep at the office. I like to have a slice with peanut butter and jelly or make toast with butter and jelly.

I agree with howie. I don't buy the diet or sugar free stuff. I do my own baking- including bread and slice it thinly with an electric knife. I'd rather eat real food and eat less of it than eating a bunch of additives....