My Epiphany

• I was a swimmer and played tennis in high school and college so I didn't get fat until my mid-30s.

Because I was so active, I never had a weight problem even though I was a relatively big eater. I gained very little weight with my first pregnancy and it didn't take anytime at all to shed the few extra pounds I gained.

But when I unexpectantly got pregnant at 35, it took its toll on me. I had no energy so I got no exercise but I continued eating as I always had... actually, I ate more, a lot more. I ballooned from 115 pounds to 190.

Of course I saw what was happening long before I hit 190 but I rationalized that I would not be pregnant forever and I would lose it after I had the baby. Wrong! I got lazy and continued eating and eating and eating. I was fat and happy. Life (and food) was too good to deprive myself, so I didn't.

I suppose if my husband had complained about my weight, I'd probably tried to do something about it but he never mentioned it (even though he's a runner, weight lifter, and all-around health nut) except when I brought it up. He would agree with me that I needed to lose weight but he was so nice about it that I assumed it wasn't a big deal to him and if it wasn't a big deal to him it wasn't a big deal to me. (I think it was a bigger deal to me than I would admit, but I supressed it.)

My epiphany was a dress, believe it or not. I saw a David Meister dress at Neiman Marcus that immediately made me long for my old body. It was MY dress. It was ME... 10 years ago. I was suddenly sick, I mean physically ill, that I am fat and couldn't wear that dress. I decided at that very minute I'm going to lose this weight.

Although I've set a goal to lose 100 pounds, my success will be measured in inches. I've got to lose 10 to 12 inches of my bust and waist, and 10 of my hips to wear that dress. My goal is to wear it to a New Year's Eve party next year.

To make it hard not to succeed, I've ordered the dress in a size 10. It's a pretty big financial investment, particularly since its five sizes too small, but I believe it will keep me commited when I get weak and want to cheat or don't want to exercise.

I needed something to open my eyes to what I have become and I just don't want to be like this anymore.
  • Wow Patty, that is great. Your note reminded me of how I felt. I also never had a problem with weight and then in my late 30's I did get pregnant and then it just seemed to spiral from there. I was always tired out and life just too busy for me it seemed. I wore size 18 + size and then wore stretchy pants when they wouldn't fit me. I decided I wanted to get down to size 18, once I got there again I threw out all strechy pants. Then I decided to go to 16, once there I was more than happy to get rid of my 18's. Then I got into 14 and so on. I can wear a size 13 now, it is tight but I can do the pants up without lying on the bed. My next goal is to get down to a 12 and so on.

I am so glad you posted this as I was losing my focus and reading your note reminded me of what my focus is. I can do it in baby steps. I think I was just discouraged because I wasn't losing huge amounts. I know that if I stay focused on my new lifestyle the weight will come off. Thank you for being a reminder for me.

Good luck to you, I do believe you will be successful.
    Thanks again.

Ann
  • I love to buy clothes smaller and work on getting into them..
    I would love to be a size 10... Better yet a 9.. I guess that is my goal.
    I can never remember being that small... I think I went from a 6x( kids size)
    to an adult 3 x....
  • Hi Patty,

Just think, this time next year we will be seeing picture of you in that dress...awesome, huh? Thank you for sharing your epiphany. I'm also looking more to the tape measure for success rather than the scales. My epiphany came when I was shopping for some nice clothing...maybe even a little lingerie..for my big weekend away with hubby for our anniversay..Dec 18th. Again..just like every year..and even worse this year as I've gotten even larger... I was trying in vain to find something that I thought made me look sexy. That is when I made the final decision that I don't want to do this again next year. Next year, I want to walk into the "normal" stores in the "normal" sizes and find something that will knock his socks off! Literally!
  • That would be amazing! I've been seeing a lot of the clothes I wore in the 60's and 70's in the stores this year -- and I have wanted to be in them again. But who wants a size 22 glittery gauze shirt when they used to wear a 12/14? I can't lose it all by next year, but I can make a substantial dent in my total. This is the year!!!!
    Thanks for the encouragement! Barbara
  • Hi Patty,

2lbs a week sensible weight loss and you'll be in that dress in a year. It is weird how you can stay 'asleep' for so long and lose yourself. It must be great to know what it feels like to have been slim at one stage of your life as you really use that to keep you focused. That and the dress of course!

Good luck,

EM
  • Good luck Patty. You sound really determined. Just imagine how unbelievable you will feel when you put that dress on!!! You CAN do this. You absolutely can.
  • The dress is phenomenal. You are going to be gorgeous in it!
  • Hi Patty!

Getting the dress was a GREAT idea! Think of how fantastic it will be to be wearing that dress next year!

You can do this!

I'm working on fitting into a dress, too! It is for my son's wedding. I bought it a size smaller and it is beaded with no "give" room in the arms/sleeves. My son is tall- 6'4", and I want to be able to raise my arms far enough to be able to dance the mother/son dance at his wedding comfortably. My arms and legs are my biggest parts right along with my middle. I am resigned to the fact that since I can't spot reduce, I will just have to keep working at losing this weight and these inches to make it to my goal. At my goal I SHOULD be able to have plenty of room in the arms of my dress and maybe lots of room to spare!

I'm doing step aerobics and Turbo Jam. I'm trying to keep my calories at 1600-1800, and I am also doing yoga and weights. I have been on a plateau for the last seven months and am determined to really get serious again about this last 50 that I have to lose.

My goal right now is to arrive at ONEderland ASAP. I have been at the same weight for so long I actually had my son and husband get on the scale to see if the scale COULD measure something other than 210!!!!

Good luck on your plan! Keep us posted with your progress! We'll be pullin' for ya!!!

Cheryl
  • Thank you for your supportive comments and your personal stories. I really enjoyed reading them.
  • Next year, we will see that avitar with YOU in your dress there.
  • Thank you Mrs. Quadcrew.

BTW, the avatar is an image of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly in her famous dress. It is very similar to mine, but not exactly. This is a picture of MY DRESS.
  • Wow! That's a spectacular dress! You sound like you are committed to succeed so no doubt on Dec. 31, we'll be looking at a photo of you in that dress.
  • Patty,

That dress is amazing. It will be great to see a picture of you in that dress at the end of the year. Your story sure motivated me. -Thank you.
  • Gorgeous dress! You can do it!