This is soooo not authentic Carbonara but it’s easy, it fills me up, and is very satisfying.
- boil 2 oz of Bella Terra 8 whole grain pasta with milled flaxseed
- once the pasta is boiling, cook up 2 slices of bacon cut into pieces
- while the bacon is cooking mix up an egg with 2 tablespoons parmesian cheese
- when bacon is nearly cooked add cut up broccoli (asparagus and snow peas also work well. Red peppers, not so much.) to pasta and a bit of minced garlic to the bacon.
- drain the pasta, reserving the water.
- drain the bacon
- add a tablespoon of the reserved water to the egg and cheese mixture to thin it a bit. Mix well.
- Pour pasta into bacon pan. Mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over top. Mix really well. The residual heat from the pasta and the bacon pan will cook the egg mixture. Do NOT turn on the heat.
- Serve with fresh ground pepper.
Calories (per MyPlate): 410, fat: 13, carbs: 50 (fiber: 12), protein: 26
January 7th, 2010 at 11:17 am