I can’t really remember the number of times that I have abandoned this blog only to come back a couple of months later to reboot it.
I have had a lot of ups and downs this year and with my health is has mostly been downs. I gained a lot of weight in a very short amount of time and I am having a very difficult time getting it off. I have also recently found out that I have metabolic syndrome and hyperglycemia (without diabetes).
So what is metabolic syndrome? To quote the Metabolic Syndrome Handbook:
Metabolic Syndrome can be defined as a cluster of medical conditions that are related and often occur together:
- Abdominal obesity – Large waist circumference
- Hypertension – High blood pressure
- Low HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) – The “good” cholesterol
- High LDL (Low-Density Lipoproteins) – The “bad” cholesterol
- High triglyceride levels
- High fasting blood glucose levels, commonly referred to as high blood sugar levelsThis is a very bad place to be. It can lead to heart disease, Type II Diabetes, and kidney failure among other things. I need to get out of the mindframe that I am “on a diet” and accept that this is a permanent lifestyle change that I have to adopt or else I will suffer. This is no longer just about wanting to look better; it is about needing a healthy body. So what should people with metabolic syndrome eat? Greens, vegetables, moderate amounts of fruit (low on the glycemic index), fat-free dairy products, whole grains, and lean protein. This means that I need to become very familiar with the glycemic index and choose my carbohydrates based on that to keep my blood sugar levels in check. With exercise I need to combine cardio with strength training. This doesn’t mean that I have to go out and work up to bench-pressing 100lbs (althought that would be cool), but it does mean that I need to invest in some freeweights and work on gaining muscle mass while I lose fat. This is going to be a long journey and, as much as I wish for the opposite, it will not happen over night. It will require committment, hard work, and determination. But I can do it.
Posted on October 6th, 2012 by rockyhorror
Filed under: Uncategorized