Recipes February 25, 2013
Lentil and Avocado Salad with Grilled Peppers
1 Cup Lentils – Soaked overnight
1 Medium onion – Diced
2 Medium tomatoes – Cubed
2 avocados – cut into cubes
½ Medium Cucumber – quartered and sliced
8 Radishes – quartered
1 Green Pepper – Sliced
1 Yellow Pepper – Sliced
1 Red Pepper – Sliced
1 Small bunch fresh parsley – Chopped
100g Cubed feta – Optional
4 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
8 tbsp. Olive oil
Vegetable Salt to taste
¼ tsp. honey
½ clove garlic – finely grated
Cook the lentils in boiling water until tender, drain and set aside to cool slightly.
Grill the peppers until they soften and the skin starts to brown in places
Add the onion, tomato, cucumber, radishes, rocket and parsley to the lentils and toss well.
Gently mix in the avocado, feta (optional) and grilled peppers.
Combine all the ingredients for the dressing, mix well and pour over the salad.
Hummus ( YUMMY )
2 Tins Chick peas ( Drained)
2-3 Cloves of Garlic ( Minced)
100ml Olive Oil
2 Table spoons Tahini
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoom Paprika
1/4 Teaspoon Cayene Pepper
Juice of 1 lemon ( you may add more if you so require)
Salt to taste.
Put everything in the food prosessor and blits to a smooth paste….hmmmmm delicious! 🙂
Lentil Cottage Pie
½ kg potato – peeled and cubed
½ kg Sweet potato – peeled and cubed
2tbsp butter (optional)
1 cup brown lentils – (preferably soaked over night in cold water)
2 large carrots – diced finely
3 stalks celery – diced finely
3 Baby marrows – diced finely
1 onion – diced finely
1 garlic clove – minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
Hoogland Vegelable Salt – to taste
- Cook the the lentils in water (do not use salt, this will prevent the lentils from softening), rinse until the water runs clear and set aside.
- Cook the potato and sweet potato until soft, drain, reserving some of the water and set aside.
- In a heavy based pan sweat the carrots, celery and onion for 5 minutes with the olive oil, add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf and baby marrows and cook for another 10 minutes, season to taste.
- Combine the vegetables with the lentils, and place in an oven proof dish.
- Mash the potatoes with butter (optional) adding a bit of the reserved water if needed and season to taste (Do not make the mixture too wet as it absorbs liquid from the filling)
- Spoon the potatoes over the filling, covering it evenly.
- Using a fork, drag lines along the top of the potato to make ridges so that it crisps in the oven
- Bake for 30 minutes, at 180°C, or until the topping browns slightly