04 Sep, 2008
Favorite Menu: 5 Spice Chicken in a Bowl
Posted by: delitaagain In: Menus
Got this from the Whole Foods website.
”The unique use of spices in the broth combined with the chicken gives you a great combination of flavors.”
Check out their recipe section! You can ask for menus and specifiy ingredients (up to three) you want included.
Try this meal in one dish. Their page contains extremely detailed nutrition info. I was encouraged by the EXTREME amount of nutrition packed into this one small *bowl* meal.
One serving is 405.5 calories. Sounds like a Flat Belly Diet meal to me!
5 Spice Chicken in a Bowl
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in 2 inch pieces (6oz each)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ inch sliced fresh ginger, or ½ tsp dried
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 star anise
- ½ tsp dried fennel seeds
- 1 medium sized onion chopped in big pieces
- 3 cloves garlic chopped in big pieces
- 6 whole medium dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 lb green beans, ends cut off
- ½ cup minced scallion
1. Chop onion and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health-promoting benefits.
2. Healthy Sauté onion (using 1 tbsp. broth) in a medium saucepan over medium low heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add chicken broth, ginger, cloves, cinnamon stick, star anise, fennel seeds, and shiitake mushrooms. Turn heat to medium high and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. While broth is simmering cut ends off beans and cut in 1 inch pieces.
4. Strain broth mixture (saving shiitake mushrooms)and put liquid back in pan. Bring to a boil and simmer on high heat with chicken pieces and green beans. You may need to skim the surface a little while chicken pieces are cooking. Slice shiitake mushrooms and add to chicken and broth. Add scallion, salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4
Serve with brown rice.