I’ve been adding to my list of rules for eating for the last 5 weeks & figured now was the time to write them all down. What I eat is rarely my problem, it’s when, how, and how much I eat that got me to this place (plus no exercise, slower metabolism with age, etc, etc).
- 3 meals a day
- all meals sitting at the table (or my desk at work)
- no distractions like books, newspapers, work, TV, radio, or internet while I eat
- a leafy green (preferably a salad or cooked spinach) with every dinner
- starches must be combined with veggies…so brown rice or whole wheat pasta is okay from time to time, but these must be mixed with equal parts veggies: broccoli, spinach, kale, zucchini, tomatoes, peas, eggplant, etc.
- crunchy veggies with every dinner and lighter lunches (radishes, carrots, cukes, pickles, olives); these are for munching while I figure out if I’m still hungry or full and for fun texture and taste
- small bread plate for lunch
- medium plate (7 inches) for dinner
- a portion of veggie is no more than a cup, a portion of starch is no more than 1/2 cup, a portion of protein is no more than 4 oz, but salads can/should be big.
- no eating meals right after a workout…I tend to scarf down the food without thinking about what I’m doing
- at least 16 oz of water with meals & I actually have to drink it all (what a concept!)
- at least one piece of fruit every day
- at least one hour of exercise every day
- calorie counting