At a time when more than 100 million Americans are battling high cholesterol and two-thirds of us are overweight, a vegan meal plan offers a zero-cholesterol, low-fat alternative to developing many modern health issues. Just a few of the afflictions that can be prevented when that double-chili-cheeseburger is replaced by a black bean and sweet potato burrito are:
- Low energy
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Prostrate, breast and other cancers
Research proves that plant foods contain markedly higher amounts of antioxidants, fiber and minerals than do animal foods. So adopting a vegan lifestyle, even if only for seven days, has far-reaching implications for your health, as well as for squeezing into those pre-pregnancy jeans.
Set yourself up for success with a nutritious, mouth-watering vegan meal plan. Post the plan on your fridge. Remove all meat, dairy and eggs from your kitchen…and yes, fish is meat. Get excited about taking good care of yourself.
- Breakfast: A bowl of So Delicious coconut milk yogurt, walnuts and blueberries.
- Lunch: Sliced avocado sandwich on toasted whole wheat bread, eggless mayonnaise, sliced tomato and a heap of baby spinach.
- Dinner: Black bean and sweet potato burritos with fresh salsa.
- B: Your favorite cereal with choice of milk alternative (soy, almond, rice or coconut).
- L: Amy’s brand frozen pizza with rice crust and soy cheese.
- D: A big salad, like, really big. Mix baby greens, spinach and watercress for variety. Add pine nuts, red onion and a pinch of garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle on extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette.
- B: Power smoothie! Berries, banana, OJ, coconut milk yogurt. You’ve given your body a jumpstart for the day.
- L: Vegan burger on a toasted whole wheat bun piled high with red onion, tomato, avocado. Adding a side of sweet potato fries is easy. Just slice the sweet potatoes and fry a few minutes in olive oil.
- D: Baked potatoes and vegetarian chili with almond cheese.
- B: Tofu scramble. Cook green and red pepper, celery and onion in vegetable broth until soft, add crumbled tofu and fry until lightly browned.
- L: Quesadillas. Corn or flour tortillas filled with almond or soy cheese, peppers and onions and black beans.
- D: Sloppy Joes. Try a vegetarian Sloppy Joe mix.
- B: “Sausage” and bagel sandwich. Sausage patty, your favorite brand of bagel and a slice of almond or soy cheese.
- L: BLT. Fakin Bacon brand bacon strips on toasted bread with tomato and lettuce.
- D: “Chicken” and fried rice. Chicken substitute lightly browned in olive oil, soy sauce and garlic. Frozen, prepared fried rice warmed on stove.
- B: Oatmeal and nuts.
- L: Falafel pita sandwich. Stuff Fantastic world foods falafel mix into a pita and add toppings of your choice. Hummus is always a good addition to this meal.
- D: Brown rice cooked in vegetable broth, covered in black beans, steamed broccoli and cauliflower and baked tofu.
- B: Fresh fruit piled high on a stack of whole wheat pancakes.
- L: Fried tofu sandwich. Fry or bake tofu and pile on sandwich bread like you would any lunch meat. Add Veganaise, avocado, tomato, onion and lettuce.
- D: Penne and “meatballs.” Whole wheat penne pasta, vegan meatballs, your favorite jarred tomato sauce, mixed with garlic, peppers and zucchini.