Creating A Weight Gain Diet For Your Goals
If you are underweight and have a hard time putting weight on, you may want to consider implementing a weight gain diet to gain some additional pounds. If you are one of those people with a fast metabolism, putting on weight may be quite difficult, and being too thin can have problems of its own (just like being obese). Set a healthy diet plan to gain weight the right way, and lower your risk for disease and improve your health.
Gaining Weight the Healthy Way
When trying to gain weight, it may seem like a good idea to just increase your intake of greasy, fatty foods, but the saturated and trans fats that these contain are bad for your health. It is necessary to increase your calorie count to gain weight, but you should do this with healthy foods.
Increasing your consumption of healthy fat sources like tuna, salmon, and nuts is one way to bolster your calories and get a heap of healthy fats. Also, increasing protein by consuming lean meats, fish, poultry, and beans, as well increasing healthy carbohydrates by eating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is a good idea. By eating more of these healthy foods, you will stay satisfied longer, and stay away from the high-fat junk foods.
Eating More Meals
Oftentimes when trying to eat more calories, it is helpful to eat five or six smaller meals instead of three larger ones. This way you will not be required to eat so much at one sitting, but will still get your extra nutrients by consuming more food overall.
Supplementing with Powders
Protein powder and nutritional supplement drinks are great for people trying to gain weight, because they add calories and protein to your diet in a quick and easy way. Most powders are flavored and only require you to add water, milk, or juice, making them a simple way to get added nutrients between meals when on the go.
Resistance Exercise to Gain Weight
Resistance training exercises are very helpful to promote and sustain healthy weight gain. This can include weight lifting, yoga, or Pilates. Increasing aerobic exercise, on the other hand, will promote weight loss and should only be done in moderation.
Tips for Successful Weight Gain
Some tips to gaining weight successfully and healthily are:
- Use a food diary to track how many calories you are eating, to make sure you are getting enough calories daily.
- Keep your meals balanced, with one serving of protein and two to three servings of vegetables.
- Add milk and fruit juice to your diet instead of soda and other sugary drinks that have no nutritional value.
- Design a weight training program that you can do several times a week, and stick to it.
- Eat healthy snacks like trail mix (that is filled with nuts and dried fruit) to add calories and nutrition to your diet.
It may take awhile to gain weight, but sticking with these tips is the most effective and healthiest way to gain weight. Be patient, make sure you are getting enough calories for your body, and keep going until you reach your desired goal!
- How To Gain Weight In A Healthy Manner
- Weight Gain Tips For The Naturally Underweight
- 4 Safe Weight Gain Products
- 5 Foods for Healthy Weight Gain
- How to Prevent Weight Gain after a Miscarriage