Can You Lose Weight Drinking Coconut Water?

Can You Lose Weight Drinking Coconut Water?

Coconut water is also known as coconut juice, and is a common drink in the tropical parts of the world. Because it is low in calories, and contains other essential nutrients, it can help you to lose weight or manage your weight, simply by substituting it with unhealthy drinks, such as sodas.

What Is Coconut Water?

Coconut water is the fluid inside the coconut, and is not the same as coconut milk, which is made from the flesh. The water can only be obtained from green, or unripened coconuts, as the water becomes a part of the flesh as the coconut matures.

The content of coconut water is 95 percent water, and the remaining 5 percent consists of essential nutrients including vitamins B and C and minerals such as potassium, iron, copper, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and sodium. 1 cup of coconut water only contains 46 calories, 3 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein. It contains no cholesterol, no unhealthy fats and no preservatives.

Can It Help You Lose Weight?

Weight gain is often the result of a slow metabolism. This means that the foods that you eat are not broken down efficiently so that they can be used as energy and eliminated from the body. Coconut water can help to increase your metabolism so that you can have more energy for exercise and other activities. In addition, research has shown that coconut water can give you a quick boost of energy, as it contains a natural form of glucose, which is easily absorbed into the bloodstream. Therefore, it can help you to overcome sugar and other food cravings, which can often hinder your weight loss goals.

Unhealthy fats and cholesterol are also a major contributor to weight gain. Coconut water does contain a small amount of fats, but these are healthy monounsaturated fats which can help to lower your cholesterol levels so that you can begin to lose weight.

Great Substitute

Aside from being able to speed up your metabolism and lowering cholesterol levels, coconut water does not have any special ingredients to help you to lose weight, but it does make for a great substitute for other high calorie drinks. This is turn can help you to lose weight. 

It has all 5 of the essential electrolytes known as potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium and phosphorus. This makes coconut water the perfect substitute for sports drinks to replace the fluids that are lost during strenuous exercise sessions or hot summer days. It is also a great substitute for most commercial juices and other drinks, as most of them are high in sugar which contributes to weight gain. This includes bottled, canned or boxed fruit and vegetable juices, as well as energy drinks, vitamin water and soft drinks.

Where to Buy

You do not have to live in the tropics in order to enjoy and benefits from coconut water, as you can purchase bottled coconut water at most health food stores. In some supermarkets, you may also be able to purchase green coconuts which have been peeled, so that all you have to do is cut the top, insert a straw and enjoy.

  • shawn

    thats for the info…. i live in jamaica so it is easy for me to get a coconut (jus go to my backyard). now i can finally leave sodas alone. this really helped me alot :)

  • Leslie

    I would like to know if coconut water make people gain weight if you drink it frequently .thank you

  • Titi

    If you drink coconutwater you feel satisfy , because this drink is nutrient. I use to drink when I dont’ have time for eat and for few hours I very weel. Maybe you dont’ lose weight but you can eat less and feel good. In Italy you can fine different brand my favorite is ococo.