With all of the protein products available on the market today, how are you supposed to know which one is the best whey protein to benefit the female body?¬† Maybe you didn’t even know that there was such a thing as different types of protein.¬† Now that you do, you’re probably wondering what ‘whey’ is.¬†
The definition of whey protein according to the standard dictionary is: “the watery part of milk that separates from the curds, as in the process of making cheese.” Basically, whey protein is the by-product of milk, processed to make protein powder.
Three Forms of Whey Protein
- Whey protein concentrate. This concentrate form is the least expensive cost-wise and the reason for that is because it has the highest content of fats and lactose, 29 to 89%, depending upon the product.
- Whey protein isolate.¬† This protein powder is the purest form and contains 90% protein, with little to no fats or lactose.¬† Whey protein isolate is the most soluble form, which means it is the easiest to digest and the most expensive.
- A combination of both concentrate and isolate. This is the most common form that is most often found in protein bars and some meal replacement supplements.
The General Benefits for Women
The benefits of whey protein for women are many, beginning with the fact that it is recommended as a supplement for women in weight loss programs.¬† This is because whey protein can:
- increase metabolic rates
- increase satiety
- increase lean muscle mass¬†
- help to prevent osteoporosis
- create natural energy
This type of protein is also great for women because it does not cause fluctuation of hormone levels the way other types of protein can, particularly soy protein.¬†
Moreover, it is very soluble and one of the richest sources of protein available, even more so than egg whites, meat, and soy.¬†
The Best for Women
Given all of this information, what is the best type of product to benefit the female body?¬† There are all types of products containing whey protein that are beneficial.¬† Some examples are protein bars, supplements, powders, and protein shakes.
The best whey protein product to benefit the female body is whey isolate powder taken as a meal replacement.¬† Of course, this is best when used in conjunction with some type of regular exercise program to gain optimum results and benefits.¬†
Ideally, whey protein used as meal replacement would be used 2-3 times per week in the mornings or after a routine workout.¬† In the long term, this will assist in reaching a weight loss goal and maintaining it, while increasing sound health.