If you are on a high protein diet and need to eat one gram of protein per pound of body weight, or are trying to eat 6 small meals a day, there are many high protein products and foods available to help you meet your goals. Eating meals high in the best protein can help satisfy your hunger and control your appetite throughout the day.
Studies have shown that increasing protein intake sends a message to the brain that it is full, curbing your appetite better and longer than other foods. High protein diets have touted eating 30% of your daily calorie intake in the form of protein and lowering your fat intake to just 20% to achieve weight loss goals. This type of eating pattern leaves people feeling more satisfied longer and in turn, they eat less.Â
Natural Sources of Protein
Food that are high in protein are not all equal. It is recommended that you select lean protein products, including:
- Fish and seafood
- Low fat dairy products
- Skinless chicken
- Turkey Breast
There are many protein powders that are formulated as a meal replacement and make a great shake. They are easy to take on the go to get your protein intake, and they satisfy hunger in a healthy way. Some good things to look for when choosing protein supplements are:
- A whey or soy protein that contains around 15g of protein per serving.
- A protein that is low fat, low carb and low sugar; though these things may help in making your feel full, they will also help in excess weight gain.
- A protein powder that fills other nutritional needs, such as one formulated for women that contains vitamin B6, iron and folic acid.
- A protein powder without sodium or monosodium glutamate, which will increase your cravings for carbs and sugary foods.
- A protein made from protein isolates which will help you absorb the nutrients into your body quicker and have a more immediate result to control your hunger.
A balanced diet is always recommended by nutritionists to have the optimal health results. By combining proteins from both healthy food options and protein supplements to meet your recommended level of protein, you can help control your appetite, lose weight, and stay full.